Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

KY BBQ, BBC and Babycakes Oh my!

no avatar
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

KY BBQ, BBC and Babycakes Oh my!

by Melissa Richards-Person » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:05 pm

So thanks to the great foodies on this board, we reached a down-to-earth type of culinary nirvana on Saturday for my husband's 40th B-Day party! The two of us were joined by about 25 of our closest friends at the BBC Tap room (Clay St Live :-) - which was a great relaxed place to have an event (shameless plug #1). Rob is always a great host, and he gave us a 1 pitcher preview of the Oktoberfest (oops, was I supposed to say that?) - which my untrained palate can still say was GOOOOOOOD.

However, the food more than held it's own to David's best efforts on the brewing front. On recommendations from this board, I contacted Dave Kastan at KY BBQ Company (formerly Bourbon Brothers and now located in the old Cafe Lou Lou location on Frankfort). I am ready to sing Dave's praises, not just because of the food, but because of what a complete PLEASURE he was to work with - flexible, full of helpful suggestions...just a perfect example of what good customer service should be. But the clincher was the food! We ordered ribs, chicken, pork and a crawfish boil, plus sides. The ribs were dry rubbed, and the succulent meat just fell off the bone. The pork and chicken were both flavorful and juicy, and all of them came with 3 different sauces - a sweet and smoky red sauce, a nicely spicy red sauce and a tangy carolina-style sauce. Most of us took a little of each! Dave even went so far as to include homemade dill pickles.

Instead of a cake, I decided to get 40 individual cupcakes (watching DH try to blow out 40 candles on 40 individual cupcakes was worth the price of admission alone!) Which brings me to Babycakes. These are the folks who are at the weekly Beargrass Farmers Market and sell out before 11. Again - terrific folks to work with - let me mix 6 different flavors (Key Lime, Dad's Birthday Cake, Chocolate Mint, Strawberry Patch, Snickerdoodle and Peanut Butter and Jelly), and to make things easier on me, delivered them to the Tap Room. Every flavor was great (I was told, since I could only get my hands on 1!) - moist and flavorful, with not-too-sweet and not at all gritty buttercream icing.

All in all - I think hubby had a great birthday, everyone was fat and happy (if slightly sugar addicted) and I have nothing but raves for the 3 craft operations that helped make our night! Thanks to Rob and David, Dave, and Cara and Linda for great space, beverages and food!
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: KY BBQ, BBC and Babycakes Oh my!

by David R. Pierce » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:03 am

Glad you had a good time and great food! My intent was to have the Oktoberfest actually on tap for the party but Rob didn't have space in the draft box. I guess he ran pitchers from the cooler?

KY BBQ Company has catered several events here and all have been really good. It's because of them I keep a stash of zip-lock bags to scavenge left-overs.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: KY BBQ, BBC and Babycakes Oh my!

by Jackie R. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 pm

I HAVE to chime in with my experiences with Ky BBQ Co. I hosted a 30th for a friend and had other BBQ planned for the fare, but it was unavailable that day, so we checked in on my Ky BBQ neighbors. No problem putting together a feast for fifty. The reaction was Earth quaking. I can still taste it.

I also took my dad there recently. He knows good Q and hasn't stopped talking about it. Tried to tell him to, but he won't.

Oh, and BTW, Happy Birthday Chris!