Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB: Haunted House? Clancy lowers the boom

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:13 am

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes.com

Just about all local foodies can tell you about Louisville's allegedly haunted or cursed restaurant venues, the unlucky spots that can't hold a successful restaurant, housing one failed effort after another.

In at least one notorious situation, the old Parisian Pantry at Bardstown Road and Bonnycastle Avenue was widely believed to be cursed by an angry ghost who remained inconsolable over the removal of an upstairs wall. A dozen short-lived eateries must have come and gone before Café 360 seemed to break the juju - perhaps they replaced the wall?

And so it is at the corner of First and Oak streets in Old Louisville, where a neighborhood market gave way to a series of restaurants in the 1990s. Mai's Thai was there, a tiny treasure tucked into a corner, before it moved on to a successful life in Jeffersonville. Then came The Corner Market and Café, a short-lived sandwich-shop. Major renovations brought in The Chef's Table, a more upscale and innovative eatery that looked good (I gave it an 88-point rating) but didn't last long. Leander's followed with another well-intended effort to supply Old Louisville with upscale comfort food. It too failed, and its successor, Carly Rae's, looked lined up to be the next victim when a management breakup brought it near closure last year.

But the restaurant survived - albeit with a changed phone number and dead website - and with the arrival of Chef David Clancy (late of the still lamented Bistro New Albany), Carly Rae's is emerging as a strong option. Clancy, who jokingly describes himself as the "chef du jour," has introduced a new menu, an attractive and fairly priced casual-bistro-style mix of lighter fare, a little Cajun, a little Creole, a little Mediterranean and a lot of Clancy.

Read the complete report in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes.

Carly Rae's
103 W. Oak St.
365-1003
Robin Garr's rating: 88 points
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

Re: LEO/LHB: Haunted House? Clancy lowers the boom

by Shawn Vest » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 am

hells yes

clancy rocks the house
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Thank's for the most excellent review Robin!! (and for omitting the bay leaf that found it's way to you're table via the Gumbo......). It's comforting to know that a burned-out old hack like me can still make a little difference and with some luck (and maybe a change in the economy), we can make a go of it at Carly Rae's. Thanks again and stop in anytime for a beer and sustainence.
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Nice review Robin. It might help me finally convince the wife to head over there. One observation - I think the beer you were describing was actually brewed by Cumberland. Sounds like Matt's, I mean, Cumberland Red. I think their Browning's offering is She Devil IPA.

Ok, gotta run. It looks like I might have Po Boy in my future.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Ryan B wrote:Nice review Robin. It might help me finally convince the wife to head over there. One observation - I think the beer you were describing was actually brewed by Cumberland. Sounds like Matt's, I mean, Cumberland Red. I think their Browning's offering is She Devil IPA.

Aw, crap, you're right. My mental notes got messed up because I was having a flirtation with Magic Hat (due to its having been talked up on the forum) before it was described to me as a "fruity starter beer." Never mind!

Enjoy the Po'Boy!
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Way to go Carly Rae's. Dave, you the man even if you are a tired old hack.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 pm

What are the hours there? After reading the review my mother-in-law and I went over there for lunch and were in the restaurant but no one was there...not even employees. We stood there a good 10 minutes. We gave up and went to Cunninghams. It was 10 till noon.

Sorry we missed you.

Sarita
User

Garrett Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun May 25, 2008 9:50 am

louisville

by Garrett Hoover » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Hey Sarita,
I am sorry about missing you , I'm confused by what you said though. We had four tables on the patio and at least one person eating at the bar around the time that you said you came by. Either way I can only say sorry :oops: and hope you come by again. Our hours are tuesday thru sunday 11am til 10pm for the kitchen, the bar stays open til 2am except for friday and saturday the kitchen stays open till 10pm with a limited menu till 11pm bar stays open till 4am. Please introduce yourself i'm always happy to meet a fellow foodie.

Hope to see you soon,

garrett hoover
(bar manager)
It's all fun and games till someone puts an eye out! Then it's just fun and games you can't see!
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Heya Garrett,

I was just worried that perhaps it was dinner only and we were not supposed to be in the restaurant. We saw the bar (that looked fantastic btw for future dinner reference) but it appeared from our line of vision at the hostess stand that no one was there either. I'll give it another whirl next week with a co-worker who LOVES to try new places.

Cant wait.

Best,
Sarita