Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ's 2-star rating seems about right for Fork in the Road

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 am

The headline suggests a more successful dinner than Marty's review and its two-star rating reveal, but he makes Fork in the Road Restaurant on Cane Run Road sound like a pleasant enough place to dine if you bring a sense of humor about service and make the right menu choices. If I were limited to one restaurant review per week, I'm not sure I'd want to spend my space on a lackluster neighborhood joint, but it's to Marty's credit that he's willing to stray off the beaten path and away from the white-tablecloth places.

[url=http://cityguide.courier-journal.com/fe/RestaurantReviews/Profile.asp?businessid=47422]Real country fare
Fork in the Road can be good choice[/url]

<b>Fork in the Road Restaurant</b>
4951 Cane Run Road
(502) 448-3903
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:40 am

How would you know if it is a lackluster neighborhood joint unless you tried it?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:46 am

Charles W. wrote:How would you know if it is a lackluster neighborhood joint unless you tried it?

Errr ... I'm basing that on a reading of Marty's review, Charles.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:15 pm

I must have been muddled. What I meant to write was, "How would Marty know it was a lackluster neighborhood joint until he tried it?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:50 pm

Charles W. wrote:I must have been muddled. What I meant to write was, "How would Marty know it was a lackluster neighborhood joint until he tried it?"

D'oh!

He wouldn't, of course. But what I'm saying is that when Marty goes to check out a place - like Fork in the Road or the B&B in Bardstown that he gave a fairly negative review a few months ago - it seems like a judgement call whether to use the material or just bag the review.

I'm not suggesting that he should ignore a bad place in favor of writing only positive reviews. But when a place is small, out of the way and not very well-known, I'm not sure what purpose is served by publishing a review when you only get one shot a week. Maybe better to use the space to review something more interesting, that's all I'm saying. It's a little different in LouisvilleHotBytes, where we're not limited to weekly publication, or even in LEO, where we often do several short reviews in a 1,300 word column. But when space is limited, it just seems a little like a waste to throw a whole week's column at a so-so review of a place that most people frankly wouldn't go to anyway.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

CJ's 2-star rating seems about right for Fork in the Road

by Doogy R » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:11 pm

All they need to do to be a 3 star is have some consistency from the kitchen. Everything else is there. I am in that part of town every once in a while, so I need to venture out there and check it out. It's places like this that make the Ville so unique.

The more I think about it, I really need to get out there for the simple reason that it's serving the good folks who work at Riverport. 1000's of hard working people need a place to dine, such as Fork in the Road. I am willing to bet there is a slew of these kind of places out that way. World Hub and Riverport contribute greatly to the city in which we all live.

I am sure most people on this board live in either the East End or in some urban area of the Ville to the east and northeast of the old city limits. Let's spread our wings and give some props to the west and southwest part of our newly expanded city.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sad.

by Doogy R » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:But when space is limited, it just seems a little like a waste to throw a whole week's column at a so-so review of a place that most people frankly wouldn't go to anyway.

Robin, have you ventured out there to ask how many people dine there a day/week? I know many people in certain areas of our fair city probably do not "belong" to this board, but why treat them in a less than an equal manner?

I believe we need to get ALL areas of the old Jeff Co involved in what happens in the Ville. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Sad.

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:30 pm

Doogy R wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:But when space is limited, it just seems a little like a waste to throw a whole week's column at a so-so review of a place that most people frankly wouldn't go to anyway.

Robin, have you ventured out there to ask how many people dine there a day/week? I know many people in certain areas of our fair city probably do not "belong" to this board, but why treat them in a less than an equal manner?

I believe we need to get ALL areas of the old Jeff Co involved in what happens in the Ville. :D

You're missing my point, though. I'm not saying that we shouldn't review restaurants in less "popular" sections of the metro. I have *always* done that. I'm just asking this: If the CJ in particular goes to a little-known neighborhood joint and there's not much to say about it because it's not really outstanding, does it make sense to use up a full week's column on it rather than doing something possibly more useful to more people? If Fork in the Road only deserves two stars, and both food and service are variable, then wouldn't the whole metro *including* the Southwest be better served if he deep-sixes that project and keeps looking until he finds a three-star candidate in the same part of town?
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:15 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:

You're missing my point, though. I'm not saying that we shouldn't review restaurants in less "popular" sections of the metro. I have *always* done that. I'm just asking this: If the CJ in particular goes to a little-known neighborhood joint and there's not much to say about it because it's not really outstanding, does it make sense to use up a full week's column on it rather than doing something possibly more useful to more people? If Fork in the Road only deserves two stars, and both food and service are variable, then wouldn't the whole metro *including* the Southwest be better served if he deep-sixes that project and keeps looking until he finds a three-star candidate in the same part of town?

I agree with you on this. However, I will also state that some of my fave places to eat are well situated in 2 star territory. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:19 am

Doogy R wrote:I will also state that some of my fave places to eat are well situated in 2 star territory. :D

Can't argue with that! :)
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:37 am

Yup usually the one or two star reviews really turn out to be the best...... :D