Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Genny's Diner. Fire in rear of business

no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Genny's Diner. Fire in rear of business

by Ellen P » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:00 am

(from CJ)
A fire at Genny's Diner damaged the rear of the Frankfort Avenue business early Tuesday, according to MetroSafe Communications.

A MetroSafe supervisor said the fire, reported at 12:25 a.m., damaged the rear of the brick masonry structure. It took about 20 minutes for Louisville Fire & Rescue crews to bring under control, he said. The cause of the blaze was unknown. CSX Corp. briefly slowed trains in the area because of heavy smoke, the supervisor said. No injuries were reported.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

Re: Genny's Diner. Fire in rear of business

by Amy A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:57 am

Didn't that place catch on fire not so long ago or am I confusing this story?

Thank goodness no one was hurt.
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 pm

highlands

by Paul W » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Amy A wrote:Didn't that place catch on fire not so long ago or am I confusing this story?

Thank goodness no one was hurt.

i'm not sure if genny's itself has ever caught on fire...but the old house on the property has...twice if im not mistaken.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 pm

It's all that flamable greese. :shock:
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:33 pm

I always thought their fish tanks were some government based scientific study to grow your own antibiotics.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Mark Head wrote:It's all that flamable greese. :shock:

I hate to make fun at a time of trouble, but I might mention that in my generally favorable review from a few years ago, I observed ...

(We couldn't help but notice, off to the north side of Genny's little white building in Clifton, an oblong black vessel the size of a Volkswagen, devoted to the disposal of used cooking oil. It appeared to be in regular use.)
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:19 pm

I wasn't joking entirely....that oil is a serious fire hazard. Maybe they need a bio-fuel station back there.
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:54 pm

I heard earlier on the radio, that the cause of the fire was suspicious but the report did not go into detail.
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:24 pm

How very odd, I was walking by there last Saturday with a friend and asked him when he thought old Frankie was going to finish burning down the old house on the property.

I read a little while ago that investigators were looking into possible electrical issues that could have caused it.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:25 pm

"suspicious" as in "the guy who owns Ginny's has repeatedly tried to burn down the 'historic' property adjacent for parking space..." :shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:32 pm

RonnieD wrote:"suspicious" as in "the guy who owns Ginny's has repeatedly tried to burn down the 'historic' property adjacent for parking space..." :shock:

That was never proven and no one was arrested for arson. I do know that "historic" property was a haven for homeless and druggies from my time on the ambulance. I am very much in favor of keeping our historic buildings, but when they get to the point that rehab is completely impractical, we need to quit. I find it much more interesting that Frank Faris had the whole property for sale for the better part of a year.....no bites from the preservationists so eager to keep the house up?

edited to complete my thought...gee, I actually HAD one!! :lol:
Last edited by Suzi Bernert on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 pm

I saw Frank Faris (owner) on the news this evening.

He said, "I didn't do it". You gotta love Frank.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:23 am

I do know that "historic" property was a haven for homeless and druggies from my time on the ambulance. I am very much in favor of keeping our historic buildings, but when they get to the point that rehab is completely impractical, we need to quit. I find it much more interesting that Frank Faris had the whole property for sale for the better part of a year.....no bites from the preservationists so eager to keep the house up?

Wouldn't the owner of the property be responsible for keeping it well secured so that it DOESN'T become a haven for homeless (and a fire hazard...regardless of who set the fires)? Did he have insurance? Unfortunately, it seems that someone has let the house become "impractical for rehab" and I don't think it was the preservationists.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 am

Has anybody heard anything else on this? The CJ, as usual, hasn't had a followup.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:42 am

Bill Veneman wrote:Has anybody heard anything else on this? The CJ, as usual, hasn't had a followup.

The other night on the way home from Clifton's we saw cars in the lot, but it didn't look open. Not sure if it was being used for overflow parking by the neighbors or if people were working inside.