Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Greetings from the Corbett's offline!

by Bill Veneman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:43 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Michelle R. wrote:How, exactly, does one deal with a brown recluse spider crawling on them, besides running screaming through the building?

I would recommend running screaming through the building. It seems like the most natural response. 8)

I don't think I want to know the story behind that comment...........

Sorry I was not able to attend the function yesterday.......it's very hard for me to get away from town for lunch, espeically on a Monday. From what I see, and read, most everybody had a good time.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:08 am

I had a great time. What impressed me most was how Corbett's presented a "fine dining experience" even on a Monday lunch.
White cloth napkins and tablecloths with elegant china chargers and heavy silverware.
Glasses of perfectly chilled water (no ice) magically kept full.
Our waiter, César, discreetly scooping away crumbs from the freshly baked bread between unhurried courses.
And a well-rounded menu with a $20 three course Prix Fixe with options on all three courses.
There was no lowering of the bar. What a great way to experience fine dining without breaking the bank.

Thanks again, Doogy, for setting everything up.
It was a pleasure to finally meet so many fellow forum foodies.
Last edited by John Lisherness on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:48 pm

I too, would like to commend Caeser. He exhibited every trait one looks for in a 5 diamond captain. I appreciated his speaking style the most. Comfortable, knowledgeable and smooth- not an easy thing to do when dealing with a table of 14 foodies that are going to write about one's work.

May I mention that the spider was the largest recluse I have ever seen. The abdomen was the size of my thumb- nail. Did he kill it? No. I appreciated that he showed respect for life and took it outside. Very Cool.

I also noticed some very good things while in the kitchen. All the knives on stations were Wustoff Grand Prix. The size of their robo coupe made me jealous. It looked like everything in the kitchen was brand new, including the glass racks. And that glassware dishwasher. I know what's on my wish list...
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Yeah....a poisonous spider with an abdomen the size of your thumbnail, and the gentleman took it outside? That is a brave man. I would have flipped out. I hate spiders. Let alone, big spiders that are poisonous. Just...yuck!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:22 pm

I respect the hell out of life....but I damn sure would have jumped and smashed a brown recluse without a thought. In fact I doubt I'd have had enough time to think. This guy must be one cool dude.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:35 pm

I've got two family members who have been bitten, one several years ago, one 40 years ago, and the scars are still there. So, yeah. If I saw a brown recluse, I would a) run, and b) sleep with one eye open for a year, probably. Ew.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

DaniS

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:19 pm

by DaniS » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:36 pm

I ate at Corbett's in mid-July for lunch and it was superb. I can't say enough good things about it--the food, the service, the atmosphere, everything. The gnocchi were melt-in-your-mouth and the Woodford Reserve Chocolate ice-cream took me away to a very special place :-)
User

Cesar Ribas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:16 am

Germantown

by Cesar Ribas » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:09 am

César here, just reading the thread and kinda amused by all the fuss our lil' arachnid friend made during her brief interruption of the group's tour.

I actually have a warm fondness for spiders. This possibly resulting from Debbie Reynold's calming portrayal as the voice of "Charlotte" in the 1973 film adaptation of Charlotte's Web. They are the little soldiers in my Germantown garden. Pretty cool with most insects to be honest.

At any rate, the afternoon was entirely my pleasure!

Hope to see each and everyone of you time & time again.

I also have to tip my hat to Mr. Garr.

I would not be one of Chef Dean's proud ambassadors, if missed reading a job posting sourced through this website back in November of 2007.

Salud!

C.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 am

Cesar Ribas wrote:César here, just reading the thread

Welcome to the forum, César! it was a delight enjoying your service at our offline ... I know dealing with a demanding group of 14 at one long table can be a pain, and you did a great job of covering that and seeming like you were having a good time, mostly. :)

I hope that now you've broken the ice, you won't be shy about joining in our other conversations!

And I'm super-glad that the forum's job listings worked for you. It's a relatively recent feature of the forum, and when it was first suggested, I wasn't sure that it would have the critical mass to do the job. Looks like I'm not much of a fortune-teller!

I'm Robin, by the way ... "Mr. Garr" is my father's name.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:36 am

Cesar Ribas wrote:At any rate, the afternoon was entirely my pleasure!

Cesar, my mom gave you a rating of 10. She loved the entire experience and thought you did a bang up job taking care of our meal as well as the wonderful tour. I concur with my mom's thoughts and want to extend my thanks to you for a truly delightful Monday afternoon.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
Previous