Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ offers mixed report on 3-star Caffe Perusa

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:28 am

Marty unleashes a full-length (693 words) report that drops a rather mixed review on Caffe Perusa in Stony Brook (reviewed on LouisvilleHotBytes and in LEO by Kevin Gibson on July 16). Where he likes it, he really likes it, and where he doesn't, he really doesn't, to the extent that even the almost always optimistic headline writers in Scene gave this one a rather iffy title. Still, at the end he has favorable words and a standard three-star rating. Kevin liked it a little better.

In an interesting, if non-food-related, glimpse into policy trends at Gannett, it's worth noting that the editors posted this review on the Website yesterday, a day before it saw print ... another suggestion that the bean-counters are looking for ways to turn from paper to digits as much and as soon as they can. Pity they do such a poor job of it ... ;)

Perusa aims high – too high?

Caffe Perusa
9200 Taylorsville Road
(502) 495-5070
http://www.caffeperusa.com
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: CJ offers mixed report on 3-star Caffe Perusa

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:32 pm

I personally was surprised at Marty's thinking Cafe Perusa was bordering on excessive. I've been there three times in the past two months (unusual for me), and I didn't walk away feeling any of the "excess" he was describing. Sure, the beautiful place in that strip mall location is a shock, ( though thinking about it, that's not much different from Equus/Jack's) but once you walk thru the doors, I totally forgot where I was in those beautiful surroundings. I haven't found any of the food I've had to be (bordering on) over the top- just excellently executed, highly flavorful combinations. (Maybe too avant-garde for my MIL from Eastern KY, but not for the majority and definitely not for a foodie). I think the place is beautifully executed, the service is good (not flawless), and overall, a great new destination. And as I've posted before, their $25 3-course with wine is the best white-tablecloth dining deal in town.

Deb
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: CJ offers mixed report on 3-star Caffe Perusa

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:28 am

Anybody remember what it was like to drive to Casa Grisanti's once upon a time ? Talk about shock and wondering if you were in the right place! Then you walked through the doors and....
heaven.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost