Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Does anyone remember.....

no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Does anyone remember.....

by Ethan Ray » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 am

John Greenup wrote:the building was razed several years ago, and I believe the Sullivan's Cullinary School Bakery stands on the site today.....thanks in advance....

The building was razed just before i started at Sullivan (2002), and the school bought the property to put in a parking lot.
Part of the Bakery expansion probably extends onto that property.

When i started the school had been trying for years to get that spot.

I doubt they'll get the dry cleaner next door (as much as they probably want the land), as I'm sure they make a killing on the billboard attached to the roof that faces the Watterson. (which is almost perpetually a Sullivan media billboard.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Kevin Maloney

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:59 pm

by Kevin Maloney » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 am

My third Job was at Darryl's 1891 in Lexington. This was in 1977, I believe. As I remember, Lexington was the first out-of-state location from its North Carolina corporate home. Lexington was either the seventh or eighth outlet. The appellation '1891' was its street address on the Nicholasville Road. This did not hold true for other outlets, only that some year's number was chosen. When the Louisville location was gearing up, I did put in an application, but ultimately found employment elsewhere. Interesting tidbit: I remember one of the managers mentioning, that in their first year, the Lexington restaurant went through 1700 employees.

And yes, they had some awesome beef ribs. The prep kitchen would prepare several cases daily.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:43 am

I was wondering how far back you were asking . Pre Darrels was the old Essex House run by the Flaherty brothers. (Roscoe, Garret and Paul)
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:15 am

Mark Head wrote:Wasn't there a Daryls on Hustbourne Lane near Shelbyville Rd in the early 80s? Just past where the Denny's used to be.

Yes, and it was Applegate's Landing before then..........
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:46 am

I'd love to have Rib Cafe/Tavern back in operation. I know people don't like chains around these parts , but that was some fine eats.
no avatar
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:30 am

I believe Applegate's Landing was further down Hurstbourne near I-64, by the hotel (Ramada back then). I vaguely remember a story about an employee being murdered there late one night. Spot became a Hardee's after it closed.
When in doubt, add more wine.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 am

Laura B wrote:I believe Applegate's Landing was further down Hurstbourne near I-64, by the hotel (Ramada back then). I vaguely remember a story about an employee being murdered there late one night. Spot became a Hardee's after it closed.

The manager was murdered there after closing by 3 other employees in a failed robbery attempt. One of whom had been a childhood friend of mine. He's doing life in the state prison in Eddyville. This would have been around 83 or so.

The place never re-opened and the building eventually demolished. Hardees is indeed on that spot today.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Kyle L wrote:I'd love to have Rib Cafe/Tavern back in operation. I know people don't like chains around these parts , but that was some fine eats.

That wasn't a chain, was it? I thought the Buechel and Dupont Square properties were the extent of it?

I loved it too. Good barbecue ... and the onion loaf!
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:01 pm

There was a restaurant at Bashford Manor many years ago that may have been out of Nashville, like Daryl's. It had the rustic, big dining areas like Daryl's. There are alot of chains like Beningans, Steak and Ale, that I thought had gone out of business years ago, but they had left the Louisville market. Maybe the local restaurant scene has been pretty good for quite a while.
Also, a few years ago, someone tried to open a diner. I remember seeing it almost hidden by weeds off Lexington Road. Who tried to do that and what happened to the diner? That would be fun.
Also, I can almost remember the restaurant that was located up the hill near the McDonalds located at Btown and TRoad intersection. I used to think it was Bauers. Was it Bill Bolands or is that now John E's?
Enough historical restaurant questions...wouldn't that be a great book, though? Is there one?
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 pm

"That wasn't a chain, was it? I thought the Buechel and Dupont Square properties were the extent of it?"

I'm not sure. You may be right; it's been a long time.

Yum. Onion Loaf.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Ellen P wrote:Also, I can almost remember the restaurant that was located up the hill near the McDonalds located at Btown and TRoad intersection. I used to think it was Bauers.

At one point it was a local branch of Lexington's Columbia Steakhouse. (They had another at Shelbyville Road and Hurstbourne that later became Garrett's.)

Was it Bill Bolands or is that now John E's?

That's farther out ... Old Bardstown Road just south of Hikes Lane.

Enough historical restaurant questions...wouldn't that be a great book, though? Is there one?

I don't know of one. Collectively, this forum could probably come up with a great one, but who'd coordinate? :D
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:58 pm

[/quote]

I don't know of one. Collectively, this forum could probably come up with a great one, but who'd coordinate? :D[/quote]

OH MY GOD!!!!! Too funny.....but we probably wouldn't agree on directions to the Old Stewart's/Ayres/Bacons in the St. Matthews Mall/Mall/Mall St. Matthews!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Also, a few years ago, someone tried to open a diner. I remember seeing it almost hidden by weeds off Lexington Road. Who tried to do that and what happened to the diner?

I know that Mose Putney was involved with the diner car that sat on Lexington Rd. My husband is the godfather to one of his sons. I believe there were other partners also, but can't remember exactly who (perhaps Phil _____?). I seem to recall that someone (maybe Mose) told me that the diner was stored on a lot over near (what's it called? Outdoor Advertising? near Payne St.)
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Ellen P wrote:
Also, I can almost remember the restaurant that was located up the hill near the McDonalds located at Btown and TRoad intersection. I used to think it was Bauers.
At one point it was a local branch of Lexington's Columbia Steakhouse. (They had another at Shelbyville Road and Hurstbourne that later became Garrett's.)

Was this the old Hickory House? With the qwerky little back room with the slanted ceiling?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Wasn't David Barhorst involved with the Diner Car? And wasn't he the one who tried to develop the Otrel's space in Butchertown?
PreviousNext