Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Blackstone Grill

no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Blackstone Grill

by Bill Veneman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Friday evening, as is our custom, the family headed out to dinner, and we were lucky enough to get reservations at Blackstone Grill (the first two attempts to get reservations got a "sorry, sir, we are booked for the evening"). I am delight, thrilled and extreamly pleased to report that Rick has done it again!

The dining room is smaller than the one at Chenoweth Square, however, is very comfortably elegant. And we did recognize some of the faces from Chenoweth Square that came with Rick (both staff and patrons). Not a bad thing at all.

My Aunt and Uncle were very pleased with the Salmon Burger, the plank salad (which is HUGE) and also the Trout appitizer. Mother's Prospector Sandwiches were perfection. Very rarely does Mom clean her plate in one sitting, but she did on Friday, and professed it a success.

My Sautee'd Chicken Livers were PERFECT in a sherry and bacon sauce. I felt like I had gone to visit a long lost friend.

Prices are in line with Rick's former incarnation, and the service was very attentive, however, we did have a small bit of confusion with the checks at the end of the meal.

Also, Rick is very much in evidence, just like a proud parent. As well he should be. He was making the rounds, ensuring that we are all well taken care of.

We all agreed that we will be back. Now, to work on another reservation!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Keith D Heath

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Re: Blackstone Grill

by Keith D Heath » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Where is Blackstone located? My wife works in Prospect and hasn't mentioned seeing it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Keith D Heath wrote:Where is Blackstone located? My wife works in Prospect and hasn't mentioned seeing it?

It took over the space vacated by the old Prospect Fish Co., Keith. Rick Dissell, formerly of Rick's Ferrari Grille in St. Matthews, moved in there a couple of months ago as Blackstone. Meanwhile, the old Rick's continues under new management and is supposed to change its name eventually to ... er ... um ... anyone? :)
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Wiggington's ??
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 pm

The old Rick's is now going to change their name to Gilliam's Point. Who knows next week. Plus the original owner is out and his sister has taken over. As for Blackstone I have posted earlier that this is becoming one of my favorite restaurants. The food and atmosphere are very inviting. Plus it's becoming a who's who of restaurants with patrons such as Muhammed Ali and Paul Horning.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:16 am

Rick G wrote:The old Rick's is now going to change their name to Gilliam's Point. Who knows next week. Plus the original owner is out and his sister has taken over. As for Blackstone I have posted earlier that this is becoming one of my favorite restaurants. The food and atmosphere are very inviting. Plus it's becoming a who's who of restaurants with patrons such as Muhammed Ali and Paul Horning.

Rick Dissel had mention that there was a shake up in management at the old place. Didn't want to stir up the rumor mill, however since Rick G. confirmed basically what I heard, I'll chime in as well. I do wish them well, but in this economy, messing with anything is a very risky venture.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:19 am

Rick G wrote:The old Rick's is now going to change their name to Gilliam's Point.

Gilliam's or Gilman's? I was under the impression that they planed to restore the name of the old saloon that stood there back in the 19th century, Gilman's (at the "point" where the old Westport and Frankfort pikes met.

It was only in the early 20th century that city fathers decided a town named after a saloon just wasn't proper, and they switched over to the name of a local church, St. Matthew's Episcopal, a predecessor to the modern Episcopal church but at a different location.
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Robin you are right. I had the name misspelled.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 am

Rick G wrote:Robin you are right. I had the name misspelled.

Thanks for clarifying, Rick ... wasn't trying to pick on you, just checkin' ...