Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

KY BBQ Co. plans "World Cuisine Wednesdays"

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:51 pm

This is a longish press release, but I think it's really interesting ... The guys at Kentucky BBQ Company (located in the former Cafe Lou Lou building in Clifton) are going to have a series of international specials throughout September, culminating with an Oktoberfest feast on Oct. 1. I could see getting into a number of these ...

NEWS RELEASE

The Kentucky BBQ Company is pleased to announce "World Cuisine Wednesday"! After getting a great response to some of the more exotic BBQ specials we have been running this summer, we have decided to feature different styles of BBQ from around the world on each Wednesday in the month of September. These will be dinner specials that we will offer starting at 4pm on each Wednesday. Not only will we feature delicious BBQ treats from around the world, but we will also pair the dishes with imported beers, wines and cocktail specials from the same countries for a truly international experience.

For each of the nights we will also have decorations and music from the different countries to make "World Cuisine Wednesday" an exciting celebration of world cuisine. The month long celebration will conclude on Wednesday October 1st, with our all day Octoberfest Party!

World Cuisine Wednesdays at Kentucky BBQ Company

Jamaica - Wednesday September 3rd
Starting at 4pm, KBC will feature Jamaican Jerk Chicken. This is a half chicken rubbed in Jamaican spices like cinnamon, clove, and citrus, then fire roasted and served with fried plantains, black beans and rice. The appetizer special will be Mango & Black Bean Salsa with Chips. The feature beverages will be Red Stripe Beer and Pina Coladas. We will also have Reggae music and tropical decorations. "Yeah, mon!"

Asia - Wednesday September 10th
Starting at 4pm, KBC will feature different dishes from across Asia. For appetizers we will have Pork Potstickers with traditional dipping sauce, and our very popular Char Sui. Char Sui is Chinese style BBQ pork. It is marinated for 48 hours, and then slow roasted till it takes on a delicious red color and sticky sweet crust. It is served with Hoisin dipping sauce and topped with green onions. For the entrée, we will have Korean Style Beef Short Ribs with steamed rice and sautéed Asian Greens. The feature beverage will be Tsing Tao beer from China.

Morocco - Wednesday September 17th
Starting at 4pm, KBC will feature special dishes from Morocco. For the appetizer, we will offer Hummus served with herbed flatbread. The entrée will be our Moroccan Style Lamb Shank with Pine Nut and Raisin Couscous. This was one of the most popular specials we have ever run and was the inspiration for "World Cuisine Wednesday". The beverage feature will be Gamla Cabernet Sauvignon, a delicious Moroccan wine with layers of ripe berry and bright cherry with hints of herbs and black pepper. These characters are nicely balanced with a backbone of rich oak.

Polynesian Luau - Wednesday September 24th (reservations recommended)
Starting at 4pm, KBC will feature a traditional Polynesian Luau Party. This is a lot of fun if you have never been to one. He will roast a whole pig marinated in a sweet citrus, pineapple and soy marinade and roast the pig on the open pit on a bed of banana leaves. This is served with sticky rice and grilled tropical fruits and vegetables. For a special appetizer we will offer Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili dipping sauce. We will also have Zombies and Mai Tai's and will have Hawaiian music and decorations. Due to the popularity of this event, reservations are recommended.

Octoberfest - Wednesday October 1st
All day on the first day of October KBC will celebrate Octoberfest! We will have Grilled Bratwurst with Sauerkraut, Weiner Schnitzel with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Warm German Potato Salad, and Potato Latkes (these are potato pancakes served with apple sauce and sour cream). We will have beer specials and will feature the much-anticipated Bell's Octoberfest Beer. The party will be all day and into the night with live German music, games and prizes including commemorative beer mugs and KBC Gift Certificates!
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

Re: KY BBQ Co. plans "World Cuisine Wednesdays"

by BrianW » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:44 pm

Very Interesting! (click to forward to the missus)
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:23 pm

Just got an Email reminder noting that the Asia evening next Wednesday (Sept. 10) is likely to be exceptionally popular, so reservations are strongly recommended.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

Sampled the Jamaican theme yesterday

by Nora Boyle » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:29 pm

Just had 2 apps, as I had dinner going at home. I'm going to try to hit this for every Wednesday.
I'm usually down on coconut shrimps, due to a single red lobster experience, and facilitated by the goofy woman who loves them that taught my sanitation course.
4 hours of listening to her sing the praises of that restaurant when all I wanted to do was fill in the *&%$ing blanks and go, but I digress.
Anyhoo, had a lovely portion of 4 fried shrimp not fried to death, and they where huge! $5.99. Then we ordered the black bean mango salsa which came w/ homemade tortilla chips. this also was quite good. I wish economically that I just could have ordered the rest of the specials. Jerked chicken w/ plantains and such. I highly suggest you go for this upcoming Wednesday event.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Does anyone know what these 'World Cuisine" meals are going to cost?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:32 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Does anyone know what these 'World Cuisine" meals are going to cost?

Heh ... you'd think a press release would have mentioned that.

I'll Email them and ask, but if anyone who's been (Nora?) already knows the price, please pipe up.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:28 am

I called for reservations to Wednesday's shindig yesterday. The woman who answered the phone thought I was crazy. She said that they don't take reservations and that walking in should suffice. When I asked if she was sure, she said definitely.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:51 am

Elizabeth S wrote:I called for reservations to Wednesday's shindig yesterday. The woman who answered the phone thought I was crazy. She said that they don't take reservations and that walking in should suffice. When I asked if she was sure, she said definitely.

Elizabeth, if you're comfortable with that, fair enough. For what it's worth, though, this news release went out to local media yesterday from David Kastan, who I believe is the owner (?) of Kentucky BBQ Co.

Hello foodies! Please have a look at this Press Release about Asia Night at Kentucky Barbeque Co. It will certainly be one of the most popular of the World Cuisine Wednesdays, so reservations are recommended. Thanks and see you there!!
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Re: Sampled the Jamaican theme yesterday

by Dan L. » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 pm

My wife and I were very interested in this event. We liked the sound of several of the specials and made a point to go to this first week. The following are my comments both good and bad. For starters they were busy and we had to wait for a table to be cleared before we could get a table. We found this to be good news since on our last couple of visits they were dead. Our first disappointment came when we were told that they did not have any highchairs, slings, etc. for our infant child. Luckily we were able to put her car seat in one of the bench seats in our booth. Next we were given regular menus by our waitress with no mention of anything special. Had we not seen the press release on this site we would have had no idea. No mention of the specials and no printed specials on the table or in the menu also meant that we had to request the price of each special that she told us about. Having to ask repeatedly about the prices of items can make one feel like a cheapskate, not a big deal to some people but after one $6 glass of OJ at Lynn's Paradise we always ask before blindly ordering anything. Now for the food...

Nora Boyle wrote:Then we ordered the black bean mango salsa which came w/ homemade tortilla chips. this also was quite good.

I wish that we could have had your order because ours was terrible. The chips appeared to be flour tortillas, cut up into triangles, and fried in oil which was too cool. This resulted in a greasy mess with some chips being inedible. The black bean mango salsa contained one sliver of diced mango. It seemed like something straight out of a jar from Sam's Club. The good news is that the entree was fabulous. We both opted for the white meat chicken. The chicken was smoky with a little heat and not dry at all. The black beans were spiced perfectly and the rice was OK. I would order the entree again without a doubt.

I wish we could have left on a high note directly following the entree, but when our daughter desperately needed a diaper change we found that they had no changing table in either of their restrooms. I love their BBQ and fully expect that we will dine there again, but unfortunately it will have to be when we have a babysitter.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:43 pm

That is a shame, and I'll point out your post the next time I'm in. I live right down the street, so the diaper changing table inconvenience never occurs to me. It would if I had to drive there for sure! And my salsa had a whack load of mango, with nice crunchy chips. Guess I snagged it all. Maybe they'll get the kinks out and inform the servers about how to sell next time!