Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Caviar (not the restaurant)

no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

Caviar (not the restaurant)

by Elizabeth S » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Does anyone know of a restaurant that serves caviar or may have caviar tastings? I am mainly interested in Ossetra and Beluga but would love info on any types. Also, does anyone know of a store that might sell high end caviars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Caviar (not the restaurant)

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Elizabeth S wrote:Does anyone know of a restaurant that serves caviar or may have caviar tastings? I am mainly interested in Ossetra and Beluga but would love info on any types. Also, does anyone know of a store that might sell high end caviars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lotsa Pasta generally has various caviars, and a number of places around town have Shuckman's (locally made) Kentucky spoonfish caviar.

I can't think of many local restaurants with regular caviar dishes, although the Seelbach under Walter Leffler used to have an awesome truffled scrambled egg appetizer appetizer topped with caviar that I managed to come pretty close to duplicating at home. I'm sure the other high-end places will use it as a garnish from time to time.

Of course, most sushi bars will use salmon roe for many applications, which will give you at least a hint of the stuff.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:51 pm

The International Market on Taylorsville Rd has a nice selection of caviars and he is very knowledgeable about qualities and differences.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:30 am

The Oakroom serves Osetra and Paddlefish caviar.

Currently, we are serving them by the ounce.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:41 pm

http://www.highlandfish.com/caviar.html

Beluga Caviar
Light to dark gray color with large granules, delicate skin and gentle clear flavor

1 OZ Container $234.00 Each

Osetra Caviar
Dark brown with large to medium size granules with a unique nutty flavor

1 OZ Container $199.00 Each

Sevruga Caviar
Small granules, light to dark gray with a creamy sea breeze taste

1 OZ Container $154.00 Each

American Sturgeon Caviar
This caviar is gray to black in color, small granules with a soft creamy texture

1 OZ Container $39.00 Each

Salmon Roe Caviar
Sometimes called red caviar this roe comes from Alaska and the Pacific Northwest. These giant-grained red to orange roe are clear, juicy and always a good value

3.5 OZ Container $39.00 Each
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:47 am

edit:

The Oakroom is serving Osetra and American Paddlefish caviar by the HALF ounce.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:59 am

GaryF wrote:The International Market on Taylorsville Rd has a nice selection of caviars and he is very knowledgeable about qualities and differences.

Is this the place on Taylorsville Rd just near the railroad overpass? If it is, this is the place my daughter's Russian school pals turned her on to for good salmon roe.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:52 am

Yes, Carla, that's the one. They also have the best kielbasa I've ever had and an array of smoked fish that makes me think I'm back in NY. The couple that own it are really sweet and helpful.
I may have to go over there soon- I feel a smoked sable jones coming on.