Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

Re: Clay Street really goes live for Aug. 23 VOLKSFEST

by Caroline K » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:29 am

I think both events can be attended-VOLKSFEST starts earlier than the Brew @ The Zoo and I think it ends a bit later as well...so you can beer hop and enjoy both events! It's great to know Louisville has so much going on and not just 1or 2 options!
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:25 pm

I understand your concern. This time of year, so much occurs on weekends that virtually any effort to pioneer a new concept is going to fall on the same day as a previously scheduled happening.

The key element about the Volksfest is finding common ground for Louisville's microbreweries so that we can launch a guild. Concurrently, NABC will be honoring its commitment to the Zoo in 2008, and as far as I know, so will the other local microbreweries, with the exception of BBC (Main & Clay). For reasons that remain obscure, at least to me, BBC Main & Clay was excluded from the Zoo event this year. I find that highly regrettable, if coincidental to rationale for the Volksfest.

Speaking only for myself, perhaps next year there can be a better chance to schedule the respective events differently.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:36 pm

S Cruz wrote:I'm sure there are a ton of people that have already invested in tickets for Brew at the Zoo
SJC

Count me in this bunch. The event downtown sounds like a blast but since my tickets (and 8 friends) are already purchased I won't be able to make it.

I am sure there is a "rest of the story" moment here though. Reading in to Rogers post a little bit would tell you that there must have been some type of disagreement/hurt feelings somewhere that led to this.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:18 pm

The fact that people had already invested in Brew at the Zoo is precisely the reason why NABC is honoring its commitment. I've said all along that the quality of the Zoo's fundraiser must be maintained. At the same time, Louisville breweries want to get the ball rolling toward a unified commitment of our own that may yield a good time this year as well as a future festival that honors craft beer in a forum suitable to the message we're trying to convey. The two fests aren't necessarily incompatible. It just so happens that tthis year, they fall on the same day. We're a big town now, and I think there are enough patrons for both.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks for the response on this. I understand the commitment to a guild and I appreciate the foundation that it may provide for a more defined 'beer-culture' here in Louisville. I am also glad that NABC will be in attendance. They have taken root in this community and support for the zoo will only garner support for them from the community. I believe the zoo is an integral part of maintaining Louisville's quality, family entertainment venues. Businesses that support such venues get my vote for being in service of the community (i.e. Me). As far as the conflicting scheduling, thanks again for the response. I hope next year they will fall on different days, as I hope to attend both.

SJC
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm happy to try and answer these and other questions.

I'd like to add that NABC will devote one of its Brew at the Zoo cold plate taps to pouring BBC APA (Main & Clay version). After all, it was recently selected "Best of Louisville" by Louisville Magazine, and surely does not deserve to be omitted from the Zoo’s annual sampling. I plan to be in attendance at both events ... not simultaneously, of course.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

We need volunteers!

by David R. Pierce » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 am

Volunteers needed for set-up, tear-down, and pouring beer. The hours of operation are 14:00 - 00:01(2:00PM to Midnight) on 23 August. If you can help drop me a PM with times you can work.
Last edited by David R. Pierce on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 am

My husband and I are avid zoo supporters down to our zoo license plates. However, for us, there can not be Brew at the Zoo without BBC there. I am sure there is a "rest of the story" but as far as I am concerned, I hope to see people at Clay Street Live!

Also, I heard a rumor (maybe it already was on hotbytes or Roger's blog) but is NABC coming to taps in Louisville?
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:57 am

We continue to work toward the construction of the new production brewery/taproom in downtown New Albany, and when it is complete, we'll be distributing in Louisville (and the state of Indiana, especially Indy and Bloomington). We'll be kegging and microcanning. The original location will continue to function as it always has. Look for periodic one-off appearances of NABC draft in Louisville this fall -- we have some guerrilla marketing in mind, and distribution through River City.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:37 am

David, is that 2 pm until midnight on the hours?
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:David, is that 2 pm until midnight on the hours?

Yes. I should have said 14:00 - 00:01. Set-up starts circa 10:30. You in?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David R. Pierce » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:27 am

Thank you all for volunteering to make our event a success. We have all set-up and beer pouring shifts covered until 18:00 hrs. ( 6:00PM to you civilians). We still need beer slingers from 18:00 - Midnight and tear-down help. VolkesFest
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 am

I am gathering a nice group to go down and enjoy this event! Can't wait!
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:51 pm

I'll be there supporting BBC and New Albanian (and the rest of the local brews) at Volksfest. I was nearing the end of my patience with Brew at the Zoo over the past few years, and not including BBC was the nail on the head as far as I was concerned. The Zoo will still get my contributions from my membership(s) for the family, but none of my support for the Brew at the Zoo.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:56 pm

Todd Antz wrote:The Zoo will still get my contributions from my membership(s) for the family, but none of my support for the Brew at the Zoo.

We've got the Zoo membership and the license plate, but we'll also be at Clay Street Live.
PreviousNext