Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Hank Sutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Downtown Louisville

Re: Clay Street really goes live for Aug. 23 VOLKSFEST

by Hank Sutton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:19 am

Volksfest was a great time with lots of laughs. Thanks to David, Scott, Roger and everyone who planned and executed this festival. Beer selections were outstanding and the Cafe Lou Lou gumbo was very good.
The BBC warehouse pictures that Marsha posted here are also appreciated.

Next year perhaps AstroTurf should be rolled out along Clay Street to help reduce the heat level and also making Volksfest a "green" event. :wink:
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 am

I enjoyed the fest as well. The Croupier and the Summit Oktoberfest were both really tasty on a hot summer day. My only disappointment was the lack of German food, but the gumbo and gelato were both excellent.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:00 pm

What a great Saturday that was!

I helped out for a while pouring some great beers from Kentuckyanna (if only Bloomington was really here instead of there).
We had a run on the Hoptomus from the N.A.B.C. and it was the first to go.
Most folks were ok with drinking Upland's Dragonfly IPA, a much milder version than Hoptomus.
Croupier & Elector rounded out the N.A.B.C. offerings. We also had taps on from Cumberland Beers (cream ale), BBC St. Matthews (Heine Bros. coffee stout) & Browning's (St. Heildegard 1867 - the only german style on the trailer).

Everyone deserves a big hand for putting this great party together in only three weeks!
You make it look simple.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:53 pm

I also had a great time! My only nitpicks are: 1. although the BBQ from the Monkey Wrench was very, very good, I was expecting a little more German food other than brats, and 2. The sound system was a bit loud--had to shout at my friends standing in front of me just to be heard. But despite the heat (where was the breeze most of the time??!!! Grrr!), everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time, and I look forward to going again next year. Thanks so much to everyone who put the time and effort into making this a great event (special shout out to my fellow Louisville Ale Club volunteers!).

And I got to talk to Chef Joe (Castro) again! Yay!
no avatar
User

Bill D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bill D » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:17 pm

I believe a great time was had by all. The music was great and the weather, though warm, was not unbearable. The corn-hole was a good idea, IMO, because it gave the kids something to do while parents were able to mingle and imbibe. A really ecclectic crowd was there w/no 'tude, and that's a big part of what made this event flow w/ such a good vibe. I limited my drinking ,for a change, so I could truly enjoy the event and I did. I ran into a lot of old buds, and had a great time thanks to such gracious hosts. Everyone I talked to said it was a great event and will hopefully turn into a 'Ville tradition. KUDOS.
Supporting the Local Brewers is paying off. Good eats and drinks.
Bill Drinkins
Bill D
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:50 pm

" because the FoZ has been told by the Liquor Commission that the only people who will be allowed to pour beer at the event are those directly certified by the license holder "

If this is indeed true,"which I have my doubts" from experience with the zoo. How can the zoo officials stand on stage and during Roarchestra and encourage everyone to bring in their own booze and wine?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:01 pm

Joel Halblieb wrote:" because the FoZ has been told by the Liquor Commission that the only people who will be allowed to pour beer at the event are those directly certified by the license holder "

If this is indeed true,"which I have my doubts" from experience with the zoo. How can the zoo officials stand on stage and during Roarchestra and encourage everyone to bring in their own booze and wine?

Because the zoo officials can say anything they want.
the zoo is city supported
the local ABC is a city agency
the police department is a city agency
so there is no enforcement if the city does not want enforcement of drinking in a public place

Of course it is a stupid law anyway.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:13 pm

If by ABC we mean Alcoholic Beverage Commission, then that's state-controlled all the way, isn't it? In Indiana, we have local alcohol boards that are toothless rubber stamps by design. All power over alcohol licensing emanates from Imperial Indy.

And it is a stupid law.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:52 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:If by ABC we mean Alcoholic Beverage Commission

Yes.

I know little about Indiana regs and only some about Ky. However when I had a bar about 1980 for a couple of years, the local ABC would show up and inspect the place every few months. My bar was only a beer bar (no wine or liquor), but they never seemed to find the three or four bottles of whiskey in the cooler. Of course the twelve pack of beer that was set by the door always went away when they left.

After a customer got shot in the head (did not die) the head ABC guy took the license off the wall (as per regs). This was Saturday night and I got a call on Monday that I should meet with the ABC guy. He closed the door to his office and explained that he was here on his day off, but he liked me. That was nice because I had never met him before. I got my license back and could open. Darned if I didn't drop an envelope with fifty bucks on the floor. Normally I would have been closed until a hearing that never happened.

Understand that this was in the 1980/82 era and has nothing to do with today.

Seldom do you see state people, ABC or Kentucky State Police in Louisville Metro.

The local police and ABC people can enforce or ignore what they want.
-- Ann Landers
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Wow. That's a helluva story. I have to say that I've never had a similar experience with the ATC in Indiana.

Local bureaucrats in NA, on the other hand ...
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Steve Shade wrote:the head ABC guy

Earl Glass?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:54 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:the head ABC guy

Earl Glass?

I have no idea what his name is anymore. That name is familiar, but I don't know. This fellow may not have really been the "head guy", but he certainly had the power to hand me the license without which I could not open. I do remember he had an office at the ABC with a name on it. Only about three private offices were there. The rest of the place was open.
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Steve Shade wrote:I have no idea what his name is anymore. That name is familiar, but I don't know. This fellow may not have really been the "head guy", but he certainly had the power to hand me the license without which I could not open. I do remember he had an office at the ABC with a name on it. Only about three private offices were there. The rest of the place was open.

I devoted a lot of time in the '70s trying to nail someone in the local permits and licensing system. There was very little doubt that payoffs were happening all over the place, not only under the "bad" mayors but even under the "clean" ones, who seemed to be more clueless than involved. But it's profoundly hard to get anybody to go on the record about that kind of thing ... a shame, really. Nothing cleans up government better than an indictment or two.
Previous