Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mari G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:57 am

Gourmet ice....and link to NY Times article

by Mari G » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:44 am

Here's a bit from the linked article online today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/fashion/10ice.html?ref=todayspaper

CAROLYN POLK did not start out as “an ice snob.” For most of her life, Ms. Polk, a 41-year-old St. Louis native, staved off the blistering heat of Midwestern summers with the generic cubes that clunk into a freezer bin like clockwork or drop down a mysterious chute in the refrigerator door.

A couple years back, though, Ms. Polk noted a change in the habits of her guests, who casually started bringing their own ice, she said. Her ice, as it eventually turned out, was apparently not to her friends’ liking.

“Maybe the cubes were the wrong shape or they didn’t taste that good, I’m not sure,” Ms. Polk said last week. “But it got to the point where people came for cocktails, and they were bringing different bags of ice.”

Mari
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: Gourmet ice....and link to NY Times article

by Michelle R. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:46 am

OMG! To me, ice is just ice, although I prefer crushed to cubed. That's about as far as it goes. Perhaps my palate isn't distinguished enough to notice a difference? I found that article to quite funny, mainly because it took itself pretty seriously.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"