Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurant bathrooms

no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

Restaurant bathrooms

by Megan Watts » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:41 pm

I was eating at a local Japanese restaurant that has been in business for quite awhile. I was shocked when I went to use the restroom and saw how bad of shape it was in! There was writing all over the stall walls, a stall that was marked out of order and all the paint chipping off the stall walls. Now, our dinner wasn't cheap, and the place was packed, so I know they were raking it in. If I had been in there before eating I may have walked out? Why in the world would a place let them get this bad. Have you ever left a restaurant because of something like this? This may be a silly question..but honestly, I've been in fast food/gas station bathrooms that were nicer.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: Restaurant bathrooms

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:52 am

It is shocking. The condition and cleanliness of a restaurant's restroom is considered a direct reflection of the cleanliness in the rest of the establishment. A poorly maintained restroom is always a red flag for me.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:17 am

carla griffin wrote:It is shocking. The condition and cleanliness of a restaurant's restroom is considered a direct reflection of the cleanliness in the rest of the establishment. A poorly maintained restroom is always a red flag for me.

It is also, I believe, a check point on the restaurant's sanitation inspection.

As a customer, I might consider mentioning it to management.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:43 am

I always think that if this is an area that they expect me to see, what must the non public areas be like.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:33 pm

i agree
and have left a restaurant without ordering because of the bathroom situation

its hard work, but worth the investment of time to keep the bathroom in good shape
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:55 am

You all have obviously never been to the Mag Bar.
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:46 am

TanyaD wrote:You all have obviously never been to the Mag Bar.

hahah straight up. those bathrooms are the worst i've seen in louisville. the emerson theater in indy has bathrooms that are far worse than man, however.

i'm all about the spanish graffiti on the bathroom walls at santa fe. that stuff is awesome!
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 am

Unless you had to suffer the restroom at CBGBs in New York before it's closing, then there is no complaining.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 am

MikeG wrote:Unless you had to suffer the restroom at CBGBs in New York before it's closing, then there is no complaining.

I always thought that the johns were part of CBGB's charm. I use the term charm loosely.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:29 am

GaryF wrote:
MikeG wrote:Unless you had to suffer the restroom at CBGBs in New York before it's closing, then there is no complaining.

I always thought that the johns were part of CBGB's charm. I use the term charm loosely.

Not when you got sick from eating in Little Italy an hour earlier.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Disgusting bathrooms in places like Mag Bar and CBGB doesn't really bother me. I do think its part of the "charm" of the place. But those places don't serve raw fish. There is no way I could eat sushi in a place with disgusting bathrooms. I have tried (and I stress tried) to make sushi before and its hard enough to handle sushi grade raw fish as it is. I think I am going to go visit the bathroom of every new sushi place I eat at before I place my order.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:06 pm

Haha..I can tell you which one to avoid :lol: I think what got me more than anything was the graffiti in the stall. I mean..I never even want to be in there that long to think of things to say or to CARVE the in there. You'd have to be in there a long time!
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:51 pm

i think restrooms in bars vs. restaurants are two different worlds
i prefer the mens room at air devils inn if we're talking dirty bar bathrooms with charm, the toilet seat is the clear plastic with pennies inside
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:58 pm

It always amazes me how some people behave in public restrooms. Why is it that someone wants to urinate on the floor, fill the john with all of the toilet paper they can find or the classic, rip the sink off of the wall.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:47 pm

In high school, I worked at a fast food restaurant in Middletown. I could tell you stories about the men's restroom there, it still gives me nightmares. It was NASTY. Apparently, ice cream "excited" some of them, and in addition to that, they peed all over the floor, in the sinks, pretty much anywhere but the toilets. *Shudder* I dreaded having to go clean it. Ugh. Nastiest thing ever. I actually quit that job over bathroom duty. It was just too nasty.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
Next