Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Lemongrass, er, La Que, appeals to CJ

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Lemongrass, er, La Que, appeals to CJ

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:54 am

Marty devotes a full (596 word) review to La Que on Bardstown in today's CJ. La Que (pronounced "La Whey," meaning "basil" in Vietnamese), is pretty much Lemongrass under a new name, with a similar menu and the original owners. (The change from a contract operator may have been overdue ... we found the Highlands Lemongrass quite lackluster on a visit a month or two back; La Que was better on a recent (unreviewed) visit, although I didn't find it strong competition for the South End Vietnamese.) Marty had similar observations, and seemed to like it, and the 2 1/2 star rating pretty much seems to match his words this week. (One interesting phase: He described the soups as "nondescript but satisfying," a marriage of terms that seem a bit contradictory to me.)

A fresh start in the Highlands
La Que's cuisine rich with Asian flavors

La Que
1019 Bardstown Road
(502) 238-3981
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

Re: Lemongrass, er, La Que, appeals to CJ

by Vince Yustas » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I know of spring rools and egg rolls, but what are summer rolls?
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Vince Yustas wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I know of spring rools and egg rolls, but what are summer rolls?

Vince, "summer rolls" (variously translated, sometimes as "paper rolls" or "garden rolls", are wrapped in translucent edible rice "paper" and are served cold, usually with a mixture of rice noodles, lettuce, cilantro, maybe some rice wine vinegar and fish sauce, and typically some shrimp, rolled tightly so the goodies show through the translucent paper. Usually served with a peanut dipping sauce, they seem to be typical in both VIetnamese and Thai restaurants. Personally I love 'em.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Vince Yustas wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I know of spring rools and egg rolls, but what are summer rolls?

Vince, "summer rolls" (variously translated, sometimes as "paper rolls" or "garden rolls", are wrapped in translucent edible rice "paper" and are served cold, usually with a mixture of rice noodles, lettuce, cilantro, maybe some rice wine vinegar and fish sauce, and typically some shrimp, rolled tightly so the goodies show through the translucent paper. Usually served with a peanut dipping sauce, they seem to be typical in both VIetnamese and Thai restaurants. Personally I love 'em.

Simply Thai calls them spring rolls, interestingly enough.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:16 pm

Yeah, sometimes they are called spring rolls, which can be very confusing.

My understanding is that the vietnamese name most literally translates to 'mixed salad roll'.