Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

lexington pizza?

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: lexington pizza?

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:01 pm

MarieP wrote:We could use a Wing Zone

Um, I believe we have one ... Hess Lane, corner of Preston?
no avatar
User

Brad W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Liquor Barn Louisville

by Brad W » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Lexington doesn't have quite the pizza scene the Louisville has...if Louisville wasn't so many great/different things...I'd call it a pizza town.

Pazzo's has to be, in my opinion, the best pizza spot in Lexington. Good eats and awesome beer treats. They keep a variety of beers on tap and in the bottle and do lots of pint nights with breweries....probably the best on-premise beer spot in Central Kentucky. Their owner has spent extensive time in Belgium/Europe and has a European themed tap room in the basement.

I'd follow Pazzo's with Mellow Mushroom, it is a chain but they also offer some good pies and a good beer selection.

A lot of people in that area like Donato's but I never go used to when I lived there.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
MarieP wrote:We could use a Wing Zone

Um, I believe we have one ... Hess Lane, corner of Preston?

Oh yeah, thanks, I forgot! Hardly ever out that way though...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:53 pm

MarieP wrote:Oh yeah, thanks, I forgot! Hardly ever out that way though...

Me either! I'm much more often over in your neighborhood. The "Place Where Sears Used To Be" has just about turned into a restaurant row!
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:30 pm

We were able to try both Pazzos and the Mellow Mushroom. Both of these places were near each other so we could park more or less in between the two. The mushroom was pretty crowded and loud,what you would expect from a college area pizza joint, with a definite granola grunge thing going on. More bumper stickers here than on the back of a VW microbus. We had a seat at the bar and ordered a small cheese and sausage and a couple of brews. Pizza came out just as we finished our very cold brews and was served extremely hot. Our pizza did not seem to have been cut all the way through, but was not a problem as the crispy cracker crust split easy with a table knife. The sauce was a bit too sweet for our liking but it was used sparingly. The cheese amount was pretty good but lacked a little flavor/freshness we thought. The sausage was surprisingly good,seems hard to find in KY. Overall we liked what we had and would most likley go back or get del. Its not hard to imagine this place is popular with the campus bong team.
A short walk form the shroom is Pazzos. Was not nearly as crowded as the mellow, would guess once classes are going its pretty packed. We went to the downstairs "english pub". Again service here was very friendly. Much more quiet down there with a pretty laid back feel. To be consistent we went with a couple brews and a small cheese and sausage. A little longer wait here but the bartender offered up good conversation. When the pizza arrived it was a bit cool/room temp. The cheese had already set up in a pretty firm mass. The crust was not very crisp but tasted of fresh dough. We both enjoyed the sauce,a very fresh tasting marinara but felt it was put on with a heavy hand. The sausage was typical for what we find in the bluegrass,a very crumbly ,almost ground beef like texture devoid of fennel. It was hard to compare this to the other due to it being served cool. I am sure we will be back to give it another shot.
I apologize for the poor writing and review skills ,just wanted to provide a follow up for those that took the time to make suggestions. Thanks
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:36 pm

John Hagan wrote:I apologize for the poor writing and review skills ,just wanted to provide a follow up for those that took the time to make suggestions. Thanks

No apologies needed, John. You did fine!
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:36 pm

Could not disagree MORE on Slice of Chicago.

I've eaten at Giordano's & Lou Malnatis, and Slice of Chicago's Stuffed Pizza is right there with them both. Their calzones are also out of this world.

Slice of Chicago is my favorite pizza in the world., period.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:09 pm

We only went with the thin crust. Lou Malnatis serve a deep dish pizza, not stuffed. They may have added that to the menu since my last visit though. I will agree on Lou Malnatis but Giordanos is pretty much tourist pizza in my opinion. They have done very well though, many stores aroung Chicagoland. You may want to check out chicagopizzaclub on line, I found it to be an interesting site.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:09 pm

I know it's not "pizza" , but I'd recommend just eating a breadstick from Joe Bolognas. Good Eats.
Previous