Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

lexington pizza?

no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

lexington pizza?

by John Hagan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Sorry, I know this is somewhat off topic.(Louisville) I am looking for a reccomendation for a good Lexington area pizza. I have a gig this Saturday night and I am only able to go with a delivery place. I have been told Brooklyn Pizza is good, but they dont do delv. I did this same gig last week and went with Slice of Chicago,that place should of been called slice of...never mind. I will be at the ballpark,Ledgends game. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: lexington pizza?

by Doogy R » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:16 pm

I haven't been in a while, but would inquire about this place. http://www.joebolognas.com/
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:40 pm

They have a Puccini's pizza there , but I have no idea if they deliver.
no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Doogy R wrote:I haven't been in a while, but would inquire about this place. http://www.joebolognas.com/

Joe Bolognas has been the Lexington Mecca of pizza since before I started college in 1981. I remember them as being on the cutting edge of such things as 'square cut pizza', breadsticks, and pitchers of coke. It was pretty good pizza and a nice restaurant, but I think their original fame grew from the fact that UK students could expect to be served beer with their dinner. And even though I was occasionally served beer there, I remember a stout crusted sicilian pizza, heavy on the shredded meat toppings. Not quite Impellizeri's, but a far sight beyond any of the national chains. Unless things have changed dramatically, I would expect a thirty minute wait, a cramped table in a loud environment, and some pretty decent food.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:15 pm

My favorite in Lexington is LA Gourmet. You can view a menu online. Be sure you're looking at the Lexington location; I think there is one in Cincinnati too and the menu is a bit different. Pazzos is pretty good too. Or if you like "new york style" thincrust, Goodfellas is also good (their pies are huge though and can be on the greasy side, mmmmm). Those three places are both downtown/UK area though, so I don't know if they will deliver all the way to the stadium. I've heard good things about sir pizza but cannot personally attest. I know lots of people who swear by Joe Bolognas, but I tend to disagree (I've had frozen pizzas that I've enjoyed more).
no avatar
User

Brad J

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:37 am

by Brad J » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:18 pm

Not sure if it is still in business, but when I lived there, you could't go wrong with Slice of Chicago
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

I remember Slice of Chicago

by jpdurbin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:51 pm

Great pizza but failed after a short life. Only lasted a year or so on the west side?
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Brad J wrote:Not sure if it is still in business, but when I lived there, you could't go wrong with Slice of Chicago

Joe said that he tried Slice of Chicago last weekend as thought it was a piece of ....! Obviously it's still open but it's not the kind of pizza he likes.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by jpdurbin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:34 am

They must have reopened it in a better location. I had it 20 years ago when it was off Nich. Rd. Bad location...
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:35 am

Okay, Thanks for the suggestions. As far as Slice of Chicago, I might have been a little to harsh on them(Chicago native bias). It was one of the few pizzas we have had that we just could not eat. After the first slice we knew what we were in for. The sauce,while put on with discretion, had the taste of uncooked tomato paste, plastic cheese, and a crust that smelled like old cardboard. And to top it off it was cut into points, Chicago pizza is always square cut. Any other thoughts on Lex pizza would be great. I will report back with our findings.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:44 am

Sir Pizza cuts theirs into squares, but I don't know if it's deep dish or not. Like I've said, I've heard good things but can't attest personally to their pizza.
no avatar
User

Jess T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

by Jess T » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:54 am

Growing up around Lexington, Joe Bolognas was the standard. However, in the past few years its just not as good as it has been. If you go, get the deep dish pizza and breadstick!

When I'm in Lexington we ALWAYS get Mellow Mushroom. It is a chain- but is the best pizza in the city. Their white pizza is to die for. The salads are also great and generous in size and toppings. They have great pretzels as an appetizer. They have tons of wonderful beers on tap- including most of the KY micro beers.

http://mellowmushroom.com/
no avatar
User

Bret Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

by Bret Donaldson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:23 am

Sir Pizza does make a pretty good pie, and there is one in the shopping center right next to Legends field - may negate the need for delivery. Joe B's does deliver catering, so if it was a large order they may be able to take care of you as well. Mellow Mushroom, top notch, but no delivery.

Mad Mushroom is downtown/campus, dirt cheap, and makes a monster pie (think Spinelli's plus a couple inches) - not great, but pretty good. They do deliver, although I don't know how far their range is. And, not sure if they are still in business, but Eureka Pizza makes a decent pizza, and does deliver to that area.
Bret Donaldson
Owner

Stellar Craft Catering &
Stellar Event Managament
no avatar
User

Bob Peters

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 am

by Bob Peters » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:44 pm

I would definitely check out Pazzo's! It's a local favorite for sure. The pizza is amazing! If you can sneak away GO there. They have the largest beer variety in Lexington.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:47 pm

I know that Donato's is supposed to be popular, but I tried it and was not impressed at all! Does Pazzo's deliver? If I remember correctly, they don't.

When I got food delivered, I usually ordered from Wing Zone (garlic parmesan sauce was my favorite) or Roly Poly (peachtree melt- baked ham, melted brie & swiss cheeses, peaches & pepper relish, grilled golden brown with a side of fresh dill horseradish sauce).

We could use a Wing Zone and Roly Poly in Louisville!

There was a place I got really good paninis from, but I can't remember the name. It was open during lunch time, and it was a fairly mundane name so I will try to come up with it, but I don't think I can.
Next