Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

LEO/LHB: Cake Flour buzz

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: LEO/LHB: Cake Flour buzz

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Ryan B wrote:I really preferred the savory scone because the peach was just too moist. Maybe there was too much juice in the fruit for the scone to dry out properly. Scones are tough to do well. I think the best one I've had in this town is @ 211 Clover Lane. I always have to order extra when we go.

I think this may be a personal-preference issue, Ryan. I LOVE the scones at 211 Clover and like you could probably eat 'em by the sack. No, wait, that's White Castles.

But I thought Cake Flour's peach scones were perfect for what they were. We were in the day they were starting to make them, and they had actually gone out and selected the best fresh peaches they could find - I saw them sitting in a row behind the counter, and wanted to eat one right then and there. Sure, they're juicy, and they do make a moist scone. But rich and short and moist with delicious sweet peach juice in the middle of local peach season? That's just nature. If you don't want yours, can I have it? 8)
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:41 pm

Robin,

I picked up some cupcakes which I thought were fine, but not spectacular- but I'm a baker so Im very picky about baked goods. They were refrigerated all day until late in the evening- so I also wonder if the refrigeration was an issue.

I happily and heartily agree with your review of the peach scone- I stopped last week on my way into work and I believe that's the best scone I've ever had! (And I've had some wonderful scones in th past). Other things in the case looked fantastic- we will definitely be back!

Deb
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:08 pm

I had any amazing rhubarb pie from them this morning. And I have been promised more delicious quiche tomorrow...

One thing they do incredibly well, is their crusts. Oh man, they are always light and flaky with just the slightest hint of sweetness!

Ok, that is my last gush over Cake Flour. I'm sure everyone is tired of my over-zealous, incessant ramblings...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Rhubarb pie?! Oh yum!

(Does that qualify as a breakfast food????)

Deb
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 pm

It did for me! :P
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:If you don't want yours, can I have it? 8)

Oh no, you can't. I didn't say I didn't like them. In fact, I thought the flavors were fantastic. They just seemed a little too moist for my impression of a scone. I guess when I think of scones I think something more along the lines of an English version. I would definitely order the Cake Flour scones again look forward to seeing what new types of flavors they come up with.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:34 am

I gave Cake Flour a second chance on Saturday and the pretty much delivered. The brownie was much more moist than the first I tried. While still not as moist as I would have like it was delicious. The carrot cupcake was out of this world. It was moist and delicious with huge chunks of carrots, raisins, and nuts. I can't wait for another.

They have been out of peach scones both times I have visited. I think it is time to up production or ration them out.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Previous