Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fourth Street Dining

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Fourth Street Dining

by Kim H » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:05 am

A woman I work with is going to a show at the Palace this evening, and is looking for a good restaurant within walking distance for a pre-dinner. We don't get downtown enough to give reliable recommendations, so I thought I would ask the experts. Any suggestions?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Fourth Street Dining

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:08 am

Kim H wrote:A woman I work with is going to a show at the Palace this evening, and is looking for a good restaurant within walking distance for a pre-dinner. We don't get downtown enough to give reliable recommendations, so I thought I would ask the experts. Any suggestions?

There's nothing really fancy in the same block, but Cunningham's is right across Fourth and offers decent down-home chow. Safier's is a short distance south and has excellent fast-food Near Eastern; and BBC on Fourth, also just a few steps south, offers excellent upscale pub fare under its new management.

A little farther north on Fourth, you've got RAW and, around the corner on Muhammad Ali, Caviar, for rather upscale sushi and Japanese fare, and the Oakroom of course.

I think I'd go to Cunningham's, Safier or BBC, though.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks, Robin. What about Blu? Is that very close?
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Blu is a little bit of a hike, especially with the weather tonight.

I really like Red Star, at 4SL. I think it's cheaper and better than everything else 4SL has to offer -- a little fancier than Safier or Cunningham's, if that's what you're looking for. The new BBC is great also!
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:59 pm

I should qualify my use of the word "cheaper" with regards to Red Star. It can be pretty pricey (but it doesn't have to be!), but it's a better bang for your buck than anywhere else on 4SL.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks, Holly. That's actually the first place I mentioned to her, because I thought she was asking about FSL. I'm putting together a list of nearby restaurants for them, because she said it doesn't have to be within walking distance now. Any other nearby suggestions?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:26 pm

Kim H wrote:she said it doesn't have to be within walking distance now. Any other nearby suggestions?

That opens up a bunch of great options! Saffron's (First and Market), Primo (East Market), Proof (Seventh and Main), Buck's (Old Louisville) and much more.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:08 pm

It totally does, and I gave her a pretty good list, including all those you mentioned. Anxious to hear where they decided to dine - thanks for the help!
User

Luca B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm

English Grill

by Luca B » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:03 pm

The English Grill in The Brown Hotel is excellent. You can park in the garage that is attached to the hotel and walk less than a block to the Palace.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:00 am

I'm probably too late, but I was going to offer Cafe Kilimanjaro. Excellent African food and good service. Very good prices. And it's a very short walk from the Palace.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:12 am

Steve Magruder wrote:I'm probably too late, but I was going to offer Cafe Kilimanjaro. Excellent African food and good service. Very good prices. And it's a very short walk from the Palace.

I believe they've closed for good now, haven't they? My husband and I walked past the place on the way to The Decemberists's concert Friday, and the cafe appeared to be all closed up and dark with a sign in the window (too far off to read) and a chain across the patio gate.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:21 am

Laura SS wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:I'm probably too late, but I was going to offer Cafe Kilimanjaro. Excellent African food and good service. Very good prices. And it's a very short walk from the Palace.

I believe they've closed for good now, haven't they? My husband and I walked past the place on the way to The Decemberists's concert Friday, and the cafe appeared to be all closed up and dark with a sign in the window (too far off to read) and a chain across the patio gate.

I don't know. If they've closed, it's since last summer when I ate at their WorldFest table.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:35 am

Yes, they are closed. Their last day open was March 31. Ashley D. posted a thread about this several weeks ago. Their closing is a huge loss for our downtown dining scene.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:04 am

Amy Hoover wrote:Yes, they are closed. Their last day open was March 31. Ashley D. posted a thread about this several weeks ago. Their closing is a huge loss for our downtown dining scene.

This is a shame. I shall miss them.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist