Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

Re: Question about Protocol

by Tony_S » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses! The pager did not go off while we were away, but I'd guess we were slightly out of range. I will often let staff know that I'm stepping away, but didn't in this case because it didn't look like we'd have a shot at getting in before we got back. Also, the quote was "at least an hour".

I did not say anything to a manager (I never saw one). Also, I was angry and once I calmed down I just wanted to enjoy dinner. I may contact someone at some point, but maybe it's too late for that. Anytime something similar has happened in the past, I've gotten the "next available" seating. This just stood out because of the glaring anger of the host. She continued to glare at us even after we were seated. I did consider the possibility of retaliation, but I really wanted to eat there. I think they were too busy for that sort of thing anyway.

To the questions of revealing the name of the restaurant...I think it's probably better that I don't do this. My intention is not to sling mud, but simply to vent and get feedback. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I probably won't go back to this restaurant for a while.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:21 am

Tony_S wrote:Thanks to everyone for your responses! The pager did not go off while we were away, but I'd guess we were slightly out of range. I will often let staff know that I'm stepping away, but didn't in this case because it didn't look like we'd have a shot at getting in before we got back. Also, the quote was "at least an hour".

I did not say anything to a manager (I never saw one). Also, I was angry and once I calmed down I just wanted to enjoy dinner. I may contact someone at some point, but maybe it's too late for that. Anytime something similar has happened in the past, I've gotten the "next available" seating. This just stood out because of the glaring anger of the host. She continued to glare at us even after we were seated. I did consider the possibility of retaliation, but I really wanted to eat there. I think they were too busy for that sort of thing anyway.

To the questions of revealing the name of the restaurant...I think it's probably better that I don't do this. My intention is not to sling mud, but simply to vent and get feedback. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I probably won't go back to this restaurant for a while.

You're not, "slinging mud" if the incident actually happened, but your discretion is admirable.....hindsight is always 20/20, but when confronted with an incident like this, remind the host/hostess that it was THEY who set the timeframe and you are still within it....if that doesn't move the ball, firmly (but politely) ask to see the manager/owner....and if THAT doesn't produce a table, don't make a scene, but inform them that you consider this poor customer service and you won't be returning.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

AshleyChesman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:55 pm

by AshleyChesman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:07 am

Tony_S wrote:My question is this. We did leave to have a drink and a cool place to sit down. BUT, we were back within the quoted time-frame. What is the policy on these situations? Was I right to be angry? In the past, I've never been treated this way.

I'm interested to hear what others think.

Thanks,

Tony s.

Interesting question Tony! Here's my take: First, there is NO EXCUSE for you to have been spoken to in a manner where you were considered a problem instead of a paying customer. Even when my customers are causing "problems" or requesting outrageous things, I always treat them kindly. Having said that, though, and getting to your questions, here's where it can get a bit iffy. We're small, too...only nine tables inside and seven out. When I quote a customer a time, it's based on where those 16 tables are in their dining experience (on salads, dinner, desserts, etc) and how many tables I have ahead of them. I HAVE had times where I will quote a time and then find out that table nine, who was on appetizers ten minutes ago, is ONLY getting appetizers, and are paying. Or, if a couple puts their name in, then decides to sit at the bar and not tell me, it CAN change the wait by (in my experience) as much as 40 minutes.

To say you won't be seated is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. We don't even use those coaster pagers; they have a not too far range, and since we're not too large, we just haven't had the need. I do, however, take cell phone numbers. Usually, people will say, "will you find us?" And when I say "yes", they'll say, we'll be out here or we might take a walk or go to a bar or whatever....that's when I get a phone number.

I hope this experience doesn't keep you from going back. Perhaps you should have spoken to the manager, just to let them know how things were being handled. I would definitely want to know, and would do whatever I could to keep your business.

Ashley
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

by Fernando Martinez » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Small waiting room, pagers, restaurants close so you can go and get a drink while you wait, it sounds a lot like Havana Rumba. Tony I send you a private message but anyways if the problem was at Havana Rumba please let me know and we will make right. Thanks Fernando.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

by Madi D » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Here's a question...what's the protocol for when you've been sitting patiently at your table for 20 minutes, and nobody has come to give you so much as a glass or water, or to take a drink order? We had an experience like this on our anniversary at one of our favorite places in the 'ville. Finally the owner or manager came over and took our drink order, but we were seriously 5 minutes from walking out.

In a case like this, its usually because of a mixup of communication between the front desk and the waitstaff. If you feel youve been waiting for too long without being greeted by a server, you should definitly say something right away. Just pull aside anyone walking by.. a busser, a server, a hostess, a manager. Politely mention that you havent been helped yet. I gaurantee that if you bring it to their attention, someone will be sent over to you right away.
Not being greeted or even getting water within 20 minutes is unacceptable, but usually if this is happening its because noone knows NOT because you are being ignored. Being proactive after about 5-7 minutes will prevent your experience from being ruined and the staff from making a mistake that could cost both of you your evenings. :)

Everyone involved hates this situation and it is definitly the fault of the establishment... But i have always thought when a table storms out after 30 minutes of sitting without service; If you had told someone 20 minutes ago, we would have corrected it and youd be well into your first course!
Previous