Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Planet Hollywood to buy Buca's

by Steve P » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:42 pm

All,

This from this mornings Minneapolis newspaper...

Planet Hollywood to buy Buca
The Minneapolis-based Italian restaurant chain has been struggling.

Star Tribune

Last update: August 5, 2008 - 2:28 PM

Buca Inc., the Minneapolis-based operator of the struggling Buca di Beppo restaurant chain, agreed Tuesday to be acquired by Planet Hollywood International Inc. for about $9.7 million.

Planet Hollywood, the privately held owner of the Hollywood-themed restaurant chain, agreed to pay 45 cents a share, Buca said in a prepared statement Tuesday. That's a a 41 percent premium over Buca's closing price Monday of 32 cents.

Planet Hollywood also agreed to lend Buca $3.5 million, Buca said.

"We believe that this transaction provides a bright future for our unique brand and for our many employees nationwide," Buca CEO John Bettin said in the statement.

Like many other restaurant chains, Buca has been struggling amid an economic downturn. In the first quarter, the company reported a net loss of $4.2 million as same-store sales declined 2.5 percent.

Last year, the company settled a lawsuit with the Securities and Exchange Commission that alleged a complicated scheme devised by former executives at the restaurant chain that had funneled money out of the company. Former CEO Joseph Micatrotto was sentenced to 13 months in prison for his role in the scheme.

On Tuesday afternoon, Buca shares were trading at 41 cents a share, up 9 cents.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Joe Pennington

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 am

Louisville KY."Germantown"

Re: Planet Hollywood to buy Buca's

by Joe Pennington » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks Steve , thats interesting news. Many moons ago I worked at bucca. I remember hearing of the personal house in Italy talk. I also recall stock prices much much higher. I suppose the gluttony of it all has come to roost. I hope that the planet hollywood transaction saves the jobs of the good people that work for them.
Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams and endeavour to live the life which you have imagined and they shall meet with unexpected success. HDT
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Geez, $9.7 million?! They must have also assumed some debt as well. That's barely enough money to acquire a couple of decent units, much less an entire brand (such as it is).
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

by Tony_S » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Maybe they should auction off that bust of the pope...not God's rotweiller, the other one. :twisted:
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:26 am

Joe Pennington wrote:Thanks Steve , thats interesting news. Many moons ago I worked at bucca. I remember hearing of the personal house in Italy talk. I also recall stock prices much much higher. I suppose the gluttony of it all has come to roost. I hope that the planet hollywood transaction saves the jobs of the good people that work for them.
Hey Joe..do I know you?? (PM me). I remember when Buca went public @ $18 a share....WOW!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)