Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Excellent lunch deal at Corbett's: $20 prix fixe

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:18 pm

I've always argued that one good way to get at least a taste of the finest high-end restaurants is to go there at lunch time (a policy, of course, that works only if the restaurant is open for lunch and has a less expensive menu. :) )

We went out to Corbett's today, intent on checking this principle out, and sure enough, their regular lunch menu offers a lot of really interesting apps and salads mostly in the under-$10 range, and entrees and luncheon sandwiches mostly $10 to $15 or so. This is a pretty good neighborhood for a fine-dining restaurant that is going to set you back a bit more than that at dinner time.

But then came the jaw-dropping news: They've recently started a three course prix fixe lunch! Three courses, appetizer, entree, dessert and (non-alcoholic) drink, for a flat $20 plus tax. Mary and I both went for it, of course - I'll report more in a formal review, likely for the Voice-Tribune next week, but to make a long story short, there was Dean's famous mushroom fumé, there was an addictive spinach salad with honey-dijon dressing, bacon and cherry tomatoes. There was an upscale downhome presentation of rich, beefy meatloaf, creamy mashed potatoes and green beans, and there was a subtly sophisticated shrimp linguine with spinach, red and yellow tomatoes, feta and pine nuts. There was a orange-chocolate creme brulee topped with a mound of fresh berries, and there was a blueberry cobbler like Grandmother used to make, topped with crunchy crumbs and a little ball of vanilla ice cream. And there was strong, fresh iced tea, amber and transparent ... incredible lunch, and $20 a head plus tax and tip for everything.

Franly, lunch service wasn't up to dinner. It was friendly and cordial, but timing was slow and bussing issues like clearing plates and refilling drinks were lacking. That's a ding. But the food? OMG, the food. And the price! And the lovely setting of the old Von Allmen house. There's an awful lot to like about Corbett's, and the $20 prix fixe lunch just makes it that much easier to experience it.

Go. You'll be glad you did.

it was all heart-stoppingly good.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Excellent lunch deal at Corbett's: $20 prix fixe

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:40 pm

Robin,

Wow! Do you know if they do the prix-fixe lunch every day, or only weekdays? ( Work downtown, live 1 mile away...) Lunch at Corbett's on the weekend would be the ultimate indulgence

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Wow! Do you know if they do the prix-fixe lunch every day, or only weekdays? ( Work downtown, live 1 mile away...) Lunch at Corbett's on the weekend would be the ultimate indulgence

Deb, I honestly wish I had asked. I don't know, and I don't have a good foundation for a guess. (But I would also note that, even based on regular prices, you could put together a pretty darn good lunch at Corbett's from the regular menu for well under $30, so the prix fixe is a saving, but lunch is still a good deal.)
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 pm

This is exactly why I need to get over there ASAP. I live so close I could walk if I wanted. Thanks for letting us know about this.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:25 pm

are they open on mondays??
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:03 pm

For dinner, yes, lunch, no. From their website. http://www.corbettsrestaurant.com/content/

Open for Lunch:
Tuesday thru Friday

11:00 am to 2:00 pm

Serving Dinner:
Monday thru Saturday

5:00 pm to 11:00 pm
no avatar
User

Chris Howerton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:44 pm

by Chris Howerton » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:33 pm

Good news to all, we are open for lunch Monday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lunch pre-fixe everyday!
no avatar
User

Ted Stevens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:54 am

Clifton

by Ted Stevens » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:41 pm

Chef Chris, are you there for lunch?
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:07 am

cbhowerton wrote:Good news to all, we are open for lunch Monday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lunch pre-fixe everyday!

I obtained the info from your website. Please update it so it doesn't seem like I don't know what I am posting. I have always attempted to be as accurate as possible on this board. Thanks.

Follow the link, lower left half way down.

http://www.corbettsrestaurant.com/content/
no avatar
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:11 am

I agree with Robin's assessment. I had lunch there last week and the food was fantastic. Service was a little slow to begin with but eventually caught stride. I didn't take advantage of the Prix Fixe menu as a co-worker lost a bet to me and this was his payment - I had no intention of making it too easy on his wallet. Next time I'm in there I will definitely consider it since it seems like such a remarkable value.
no avatar
User

Chris Howerton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Chris Howerton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:08 pm

We just started Lunch Monday and Saturday last week so the website will be changed ASAP. Thanks for the info
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:51 pm

cbhowerton wrote:We just started Lunch Monday and Saturday last week so the website will be changed ASAP. Thanks for the info

Come on chef- stop cooking and change that site. :D
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 pm

we'll try to come out monday
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Might I suggest that we have an offline lunch at Corbett's sometime in the near future? I sure want to enjoy lunch there and would like to meet some more forumites.
no avatar
User

Chris Howerton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Chris Howerton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Hey Will, if you wouldn't mind telling me," when is that Walnut Golf going to be an Olympic Sport!" :lol:
Next