Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

So where would you take them ?

by Steve P » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:09 pm

All,

Hopefully this will make for interesting discussion.

We've got some friends helping us move at the end of the month. They will be in town for all of Labor Day weekend and we'd like to take them out for dinner a couple of times as a gesture of our appreciation. We'd like to know, based on the following criteria, where YOU would take your "best-est" out of town friends. (BTW, since everything we own will be boxed away, casual is the name of the game...So please factor that into your suggestions).

Dinner #1: We'll call it "Beers and Pub Grub"...After a day of hauling boxes we'll be looking for a good selection of local and regional tap beers, great wings and (hopefully) a nice out of the way patio for outside dining. In the past we have enjoyed the Bluegrass Brewing Co. (Shelbyville Rd) but otherwise we're in unfamiliar territory.

Dinner #2: Let's call this "Casual Upscale Dining". Good steaks and seafood, good service, relaxed but not comatose atmosphere. A nice (but affordable) wine (and beer) selection. Once again a comfortable patio would be a good thing. We found that "The Captain's Quarter" fits this bill but are interested in hearing about other establishments that might fall into this catagory.

Sunday Brunch: We've been told that "The Bristol" is the place to go for Sunday Brunch...What other places should we consider ?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: So where would you take them ?

by Michelle R. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:31 pm

For brunch, Wild Eggs and Lynn's Paradise Cafe are great options.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Beer - Rich O's
Casual Upscale - Varanese
Brunch - Toast or Wild Eggs, possibly Lynn's. The Bristol's brunch is sooooo yesterday.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:36 pm

1. The Irish Rover, no wings but great casual dinner spot.
2. Maybe Jarfi's front dining room, and for interesting and fun atmosphere I enjoy Proof on Main
3. Wild Eggs, Toast or Cafe Beignet
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Honestly, I would move Captain Quarters down to your brunch slot (for the outdoor seating alone) and would move The Bristol in prospect up to your upscale casual spot. If I am correct that you are moving out to the OC! :)
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:38 pm

For dinner #1,
Since they are from out of town, Brownings might be a good choice with "local flavor"(being attached to Slugger Field).
No hot wings, but lots of other great stuff and ample outdoor dining.
http://www.diningonmain.com/Brownings/BrowningsMenu.pdf
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

by Brand M » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Will echo Leah for the most part. If you can actually get a table for Lynn's brunch ,it is definately the way to go.The decor is an eye opener for out of towner's :).
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Richo's for Beer and Pub Food
Richo's has the smartest beer selection in the area. There BBQ pizza's and spinach kaze(sp?) dip are awesome.
They brew about six beers in house and have about 20 on tap and 100 in bottles.

http://www.richos.com/
http://www.newalbanian.com/

I don't think you can go wrong with the North End Cafe, Havana Rumba, or Mojito for dinner.

North End Cafe also has a very interesting and delicious brunch/breakfast menu.
The smoked trout hash was awesome.
Their bacon was also very good.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

by Scott Hack » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Steve,

My old place that has been renamed Varsity Pizza and Pints would be a good pick for #1. They have a nice outdoor eating area, and I think now have 12 beers on draft. Located fairly close to LaGrange in Crestwood.

Did you get with Theiss about your carpet situation?
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:33 pm

Steve P wrote:All,

Hopefully this will make for interesting discussion.

We've got some friends helping us move at the end of the month. They will be in town for all of Labor Day weekend and we'd like to take them out for dinner a couple of times as a gesture of our appreciation. We'd like to know, based on the following criteria, where YOU would take your "best-est" out of town friends. (BTW, since everything we own will be boxed away, casual is the name of the game...So please factor that into your suggestions).

Dinner #1: We'll call it "Beers and Pub Grub"...After a day of hauling boxes we'll be looking for a good selection of local and regional tap beers, great wings and (hopefully) a nice out of the way patio for outside dining. In the past we have enjoyed the Bluegrass Brewing Co. (Shelbyville Rd) but otherwise we're in unfamiliar territory.

Dinner #2: Let's call this "Casual Upscale Dining". Good steaks and seafood, good service, relaxed but not comatose atmosphere. A nice (but affordable) wine (and beer) selection. Once again a comfortable patio would be a good thing. We found that "The Captain's Quarter" fits this bill but are interested in hearing about other establishments that might fall into this catagory.

Sunday Brunch: We've been told that "The Bristol" is the place to go for Sunday Brunch...What other places should we consider ?

Beers and Pub Grub- Cumberland Brews or Baxter Station
Casual upscale - Depends, I wouldn't call Captain's Quarters upscale? Along those lines though Cafe Lou Lou, Porcini, Bistro 301 downtown
Sunday Brunch - North End Cafe
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:50 pm

Steven P,

I'd second (or was it third? ) North End for Brunch.

For dinner #2: Carly Rae's in Old Louisville allows a drive past this historic area, great food and a fabulous patio. Haven't tried the new menu ,but the bison flank steak I had lasy time was wonderful and very well priced.

Deb
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:07 pm

Dinner 2: Westport General Store. I took some out of town family there last month and they loved it.

Here is a link to a previous thread including info about our visit: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3661&hilit=westport
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Palermo Viejo would probably fit your dinner requirements...
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:50 pm

I agree with Ethan- Palermo is another excellent choice, and if you get an outside table the people -watching/Bardstown Road vibe is great!

Deb
no avatar
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

by Tony_S » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 pm

This is an interesting question...Here's what I'd do.

I'm not much on beer and wings, so I'll defer to others on that category.

For the upscale casual I'd recommend Maker's Mark at Fourth Street Live. I'm not sure how their steaks are but some of the seafood dishes are excellent. You might also consider: Rocky's on the River in Jeffersonville or one of the Bristol locations. There is a new Bristol in Jeffersonville with a view of the Louisville skyline (although I'm really down on the S. IN dining scene lately).

For Sunday brunch, I'd try Rivue. They were telling us about their brunch the other night and it sounds excellent. You also can't beat the view. Of course you might need another mortgage to afford it. Those rotating floors aren't the only high things there.

Good luck with your move and have fun. I always enjoy showing off our local dining scene with out of towners. They're usually quite surprised!

Tony s.
Next