Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Keith D Heath

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Re: So where would you take them ?

by Keith D Heath » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:56 pm

Dinner #1: We'll call it "Beers and Pub Grub"...After a day of hauling boxes we'll be looking for a good selection of local and regional tap beers, great wings and (hopefully) a nice out of the way patio for outside dining. In the past we have enjoyed the Bluegrass Brewing Co. (Shelbyville Rd) but otherwise we're in unfamiliar territory.

Dinner #2: Let's call this "Casual Upscale Dining". Good steaks and seafood, good service, relaxed but not comatose atmosphere. A nice (but affordable) wine (and beer) selection. Once again a comfortable patio would be a good thing. We found that "The Captain's Quarter" fits this bill but are interested in hearing about other establishments that might fall into this catagory.

Sunday Brunch: We've been told that "The Bristol" is the place to go for Sunday Brunch...What other places should we consider ?

Dinner #1 - Browning's, Rich O's or Wick's.

Dinner #2 - I'd suggest Avalon, my wife and I had a wonderful dinner there a couple of weeks ago.

Sunday Brunch - Bristol is a great place for brunch. Arguably the best fried chicken in the city. The Galt House also has a very nice Brunch.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:19 am

A lot of the suggestions are great, but since you are in Oldham County, for the casual "nice" dinner I'd go to Blackstone in Prospect - sort of the old Rick's, with a very affordable menu, no real outside (tho are some tables) but a casual place with great food! Sort of like Varnese, but around 20-30 minutes closer to your house.
Andrew Mellman
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:01 am

Pub Grub.....Irish Rover Too (LaGrange)

Upscale Casual....Stoney River Steaks

Brunch.....Bristol (or Mimi's Cafe -- great Eggs Benedict!!)
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:02 pm

All,

Wow...I thought this topic might generate a couple of replies but this is awesome. What a wonderful delima to have...too many choices. OK, here's what I'm thinking. Friday evening we'll do dinner next to the tracks in La Grange (Irish Rover Too). Saturday I'm thinking a mini pub crawl (complete with designated driver) might be in order...an appetizer lunch at Rich-O's followed a pint or two at BBC and then wrapping things up close to home with pizza at the Varsity in Crestwood. Sunday we'll let our friends decide if it's brunch or dinner out and then put all of the other suggestions in a hat and let them select the "winner". Thank you all for the suggestions. Given that we're expecting a steady stream of friends and family for the first couple of weeks I'm sure we'll get around to all of them at some point.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:09 pm

The Irish Rover in LaGrange would be A great choice for one of the casual dinners. For the other one I'd recommend Cafe Lou Lou, Mojito's, Havana Rumba, Serviche or Rick's Blackstone Grille all are excellent choices and show off some of louisville's top restaurants. For the brunch either do Lynn's for the true eclectic atmosphere or North End Cafe you want a little quieter more upscale brunch. The Bristol's lunch is not as good as it used to be.

All the restaurants on my list are locally owned and operated not chain's unlike some of the other suggestions. Not that some of the chain's don't have good food but we definitely need to support the locally owned establishments.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Previous