Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jasmine

User

Chris Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Far East End Wasteland

Jasmine

by Chris Rogers » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:51 am

Has anyone eaten at Jasmine recently? I remember seeing both good & not-so-good reviews on the old forum. We've been invited there tomorrow evening to eat dinner with a few of our chinese friends, so we'd gladly appreciate any advice or recommendations.

We have discovered the authentic menu at Oriental House and will never order off the regular menu again, so any highlights on Jasmine's authentic menu that we should look for?
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
—Mark Twain
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jasmine

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:02 am

Chris Rogers wrote:Has anyone eaten at Jasmine recently? I remember seeing both good & not-so-good reviews on the old forum. We've been invited there tomorrow evening to eat dinner with a few of our chinese friends, so we'd gladly appreciate any advice or recommendations.

We have discovered the authentic menu at Oriental House and will never order off the regular menu again, so any highlights on Jasmine's authentic menu that we should look for?

I haven't eaten there recently either, but I particularly remember a lamb dish with cumin that was amazing. Bear in mind that the chef is a noted Sichuan expert, so I'd err on the side of that regional cuisine. And if I had a chance to go with Chinese friends, I would let them take charge, talk to the staff in Chinese, and urge the chef to make you a memorable meal. :)
User

Chris Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Far East End Wasteland

by Chris Rogers » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Chris Rogers wrote:Has anyone eaten at Jasmine recently? I remember seeing both good & not-so-good reviews on the old forum. We've been invited there tomorrow evening to eat dinner with a few of our chinese friends, so we'd gladly appreciate any advice or recommendations.

I haven't eaten there recently either, but I particularly remember a lamb dish with cumin that was amazing. Bear in mind that the chef is a noted Sichuan expert, so I'd err on the side of that regional cuisine. And if I had a chance to go with Chinese friends, I would let them take charge, talk to the staff in Chinese, and urge the chef to make you a memorable meal. :)

We are kind of hoping that our friends will indeed take charge. The last time we went to dinner at Oriental House with a few of our other chinese friends, they ordered ahead of our arrival and it was spectacular --- and SO MUCH FOOD.
—Mark Twain
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:45 am

Chris Rogers wrote:We are kind of hoping that our friends will indeed take charge. The last time we went to dinner at Oriental House with a few of our other chinese friends, they ordered ahead of our arrival and it was spectacular --- and SO MUCH FOOD.

However it goes, Chris, afterward I hope you'll take a moment to let the forum know what you had and how it was!
User

Chris Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Far East End Wasteland

by Chris Rogers » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:53 am

I'll do it! Hopefully it will be a good report - I'm in the mood for some good chinese. We've been eating at Liang's to satisfy our craving lately and it's hard to beat their Imperial Shrimp or Shredded Pork with Bean Sauce.
—Mark Twain
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Make a note for me, Chris...

by Mary Anne » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:17 pm

Last time I was at Jasmine the fumes from the nail salon next door were overwhelming, take a deep sniff when you enter and let us know if they've solved that problem!
User

Chris Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Far East End Wasteland

by Chris Rogers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:13 am

OK so first things first - we did not smell any vapors or fumes from the nail place next door.

I was surprised at the small interior of Jasmine, the food however was even more surprising. My wife and I, along with our soon-to-be 3 year old daughter joined two of my friends for a truly memorable meal Saturday night. Both friends are Chinese surgeons that are here in Louisville training with the practice that I work for. My wife and I both noticed how excited they were when we suggested they order for us, especially when we said we like spicy food. They were also impressed that our daughter likes chinese food over McDonalds (smart kid).

We listened as they explained to us how they traditionally order dinner, choosing several dishes consisting of a different meat or fish in each.

The first dish brought to the table was the Boiled Beef. Never in a million years would I have ordered a dish named Boiled beef. The large bowl filled with tender beef and crisp cabbage and some sort of ground pepper on top did not last long.

Second to the table was the Cumin Lamb. OMG! As Robin stated, it was indeed amazing. The lamb was tender and the dish was unlike anything I've eaten.

Next item up was a Seafood Hot Pot with Tofu. I should exclude the tofu since my daughter ate nearly every piece. The pot was filled with shrimp, scallops, and crisp chinese vegetables.

The final dish to arrive was Fish in Tomato sauce. This is another dish I normally would have overlooked on the menu. Bite-size pieces of white fish lightly battered were stir fryed with peppers and onions in a light flavorful tomato sauce.

Our service was very good - as it should be for a place that small. Our hosts even had our server run next door to Graeters at the end of our meal to bring us ice cream!

We will miss our friends when they return to China in a few months but we'll always be able to enjoy their wonderful cuisine, especially now that they've helped us discover dishes we would have passed on before.
Last edited by Chris Rogers on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
—Mark Twain
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 am

Chris Rogers wrote:OK so first things first - we did not smell and vapors or fumes from the nail place next door.

Thanks for an excellent review, Chris! Appreciate your following up. Now you've made me ravenous for a meal at Jasmine!