Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Christian Dreisbach

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:19 am

Louisville

Re: Mojito's New Menu

by Christian Dreisbach » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:39 pm

FYI our cousin is coming in from Miami and his mom has visited him a lot and can't wait to take him to Mojito...that speaks volumes!
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:54 pm

Ned,
I did not feel ill will through your review, I just wanted to give some facts to all and my opinion that there is much more to life (especially at a place like Mojito) than Guacamole! Like I said in my PM, my response was not directed solely at you.

I am sure Fernando feels your loyalty, however, he is trying to give folks an experience. I think we all should give him a chance.

As far as the menu font .... want to borrow my readers? That is what I did after I failed to read the menu properly the first time! :D

Feast and enjoy!
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 pm

Heather Y wrote: People, we are lucky to have Fernando as a Chef/restaurateur in Louisville, and if the folks on this forum
consider themselves "foodies" then the talented chefs at Mojito and their offerings should be easy to spot!

I've only been to Mojito's once. The Mojito level of dining is not a regular occurrence for me, so I only tend to prioritize a return trip if I'm really impressed. The chef talent was obvious. What I had issues with was what seemed to be an overcrowding issue in the dining room. I'm not a regular finer-diner, so I'm not an expert on the in's-and-out's of this topic. From my experience, it seemed like the restaurant would have a better ambiance with 80% of the tables. I found the dining room to be crowded and loud, and, thus, found it difficult to converse with my significant other. The food was as to be expected. Half the dining experience, or at least a quarter, to me, is the surroundings.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:02 am

I do understand what you are saying about acoustics, and crowding. I have the same trouble at my place to the point where I cannot hear the guests response to my greeting. The only place I have ever experienced a true struggle free conversation while dining without leaning or shouting would be Vincenzo's and the Oakroom.

Here is the way I view Mojito: a COZY upscale casual Tapas bar with emphasis on Tapas, but the bar is not overlooked. It is a "festive" atmosphere, sort of like a party. I think if you have to lean in to get your point across then it makes the dining experience all the more intimate! And what is bad about intimacy! Woohoo! LOL.
User

Ralph B.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:08 pm

by Ralph B. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Fernando,

I have sent you a Private Message... didn't want to bore the board with more anniversary dinner talk.

I, for one, applaud the new menu direction.

RB
Ralph Brewer
Marketing Director
Creation Gardens
www.whatchefswant.com
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:44 am

I've got to at least offer a bit of "in the biz" commentary concerning (seemingly) everyone lamenting over the omission of one menu item or another from the new menu:

By changing the menu, the chef and his staff move forward.
They are no longer in the monotony of doing the same food 365 days a year.
Sure, some favorites go...
but others take their place.
I know i've taken menu items off the menu despite them selling well because "it's time", or it's not seasonally appropriate.

Ever had a winter avocado?
Seriously folks... as much as I'd like to, Guacamole is the last thing i want to eat when avocados are nearing the end of their peak.
Same thing with anything involving tomatoes in the off-season.

Fernando and Michael are doing what any driven, competent and creative chef SHOULD be doing.
They are neither stagnant nor staid.
Continued drive towards the future and their own culinary evolution is what makes Mojito what it is.

Todd Richards once said to me: '...you must give them what they want in order for them to take what you have to give.'
I think it aptly describes the continued drive that all competent chefs strive for.
And I truly think that both Fernando and Michael can relate with that sentiment.

"Signature" menu items are becoming more and more passé these days anyway. :wink:
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Kevin Graves

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Louisville, KY

by Kevin Graves » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 am

It is not like people were saying we are going to stop going to Mojito's because of menu changes. Fernando is a great asset to the restaurant community. His restaurants always serve great food at great prices and he always cares what customers think. I think that most people who post here know that. People were merely sharing some of their favorite dishes that have been sacrificed. I, for one, welcome the change. Obviously constant change is a good thing for a place that serves tapas. But I sure will miss having the guac dish with a nice cold mojito during the warm seasons and I do not think I am the only one.
Kevin J. Graves
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:54 am

I dropped by the other day for a quick bite and asked for the Duck Flat Bread. I didn't realize it was not on the lunch menu but they graciously made it for me anyway. What a treat! It was delicous- so many tastes, sweet with a little honey, a little gamey with the duck and goat cheese, and crisp and herby with a baby salad with fresh herbs. I can't wait to tey more of the new items.
Change is a very good thing.
no avatar
User

Sallie P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

by Sallie P. » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Are they serving lunch on Sundays since they stopped the buffet?
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:49 pm

I tried the new menu the other night and was so happy. The server came up and said, "I have a surprise, the guacamole is back!!"

It was wonderful as were the other new items I tried. My favorite were the french fries with the gorgonzola cheese. Yum.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 pm

We're going tomorrow with my parents to celebrate Neil's birthday. I can't wait to check out the new menu!
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

by todd richards » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 am

This is sounding more like a political debate of change versus change versus no change.
Eating at Mojito's three times in two weeks before we departed, I would say that these chefs would not put any item on the menu if it wasn't or couldn't be called a "signature dish". This place would easily be the “chef’s hangout” in Atlanta.
I personally salute them in their efforts and will continue to support them for whatever they might need; which ain't much.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:25 am

I brought a party of 8 there on Friday night and the meal was simply off the hook. Fernando and Michael have really created some exceptional items. The figs stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped with bacon were out of this world as was the duck flat bread. I for one hardly ever eat dessert but the presentation and flavors that were presented to us that evening were outstanding.

Fernando, Thanks for the great evening. None of the people I brought in had been there before but they have all vowed to return.
Will Crawford
Previous