Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Definition of "foodie"

no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

Definition of "foodie"

by Elizabeth S » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:50 am

My husband and I have seen Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern a few times on the Food Network and we have seen him eat some crazy things in the name of being a "foodie." That led to quite a discussion as to what exactly a "foodie" is. I looked at several dictionary type definitions and the thing they all have in common is that a foodie is someone that loves food. Andrew Zimmern is a self proclaimed foodie and he eats all types of things to prove it. I consider myself somewhat of a foodie but I am not going to eat raw lobster with its tentacles still moving to show that I am a foodie. Also, I am not going to eat chicken anuses like Anthony Bourdain did in Korea. If that disqualifies me from being a foodie so be it. I was just wondering what you all thought the definition of a foodie is. For instance, can a foodie be a steak and potatoes person, try nothing else, but love steak and potatoes and be a steak and potato connoisseur?
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Definition of "foodie"

by Bill Veneman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:32 am

I very much agree with your summation of a Foodie. I will try anything once, twice if I like it, and maybe a third time just to be sure I don't. However, I do have a line that I draw......and it changes from day to day, and whim to whim. I profess myself to be a FOODIE.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am

Elizabeth, I think Bill pretty much hit the nail on the head: It's self-defining!

In this forum, we use "foodie" as one of the "ranks" that people earn next to their name on posts depending on how many messages they've posted. We mean it affectionately, and in my mind, it's pretty simply stated as "someone who is passionate about food, not necessarily a glutton at all, but who is interested in eating and drinking well, perhaps in restaurants, maybe home cooking or possibly all of the above. But it's the passion, the caring and the interest that make the "foodie," not any silly requirement that one be willing to eat live cobra hearts or squirming tentacles.

Welcome, foodie! :)
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:34 pm

This is an interesting topic. I have a friend who was recently referred to as a "foodie" by someone she works. She was actually very offended because her personal definition of a "foodie" is what she calls a food snob. She cooks more than she eats out and I guess to her a foodie is someone who only eats at very expensive restaurants. I agree more with what has been discussed here though. To me a "foodie" is just someone who loves food. So by my definition, she is most assuredly a "foodie."
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:58 pm

Three things that made me realize I am a foodie:

1.) My friends call me for recommendations of where to go when they want to try something new
2.) When I plan my vacation I spend just as much time picking out restaurants I want to try than worrying about where I am staying
3.) I make lists of new places that I want to try and cross them off one by one

I hope I am not alone in these things.....
no avatar
User

Kaitlin M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:33 pm

by Kaitlin M » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 pm

I used to be one of the pickiest eaters. My parents are Irish & don't cook very well. I grew up pretty much just eating potatoes, plain hamburgers, & chicken fingers. It wasn't until I met my future husband that my love for food grew. He is Italian & comes from a family that actually seasons their food before they cook it. Now, one of my favorite things to do is go out to eat & try new restaurants. I agree that when I plan my vacations, I research the restaurants as much as the hotels I will stay at. I just moved here about a year ago from a much smaller city & I love having so many restaurant choices that aren't just chain restaurants!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:38 pm

I love to eat. I love to cook. I love to eat at great local places and the occasional great franchise. I love shopping for food, especially at this time of year when the farmer's markets pop up. I think I live to buy, prepare and eat food.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.