Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Rivue

User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

Rivue

by Tony_S » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:52 pm

We took my mom to Rivue recently for her 80th birthday and had a wonderful experience. The food was excellent and the setting was unlike anything else in town. The service was good, but not great. A friend and I were noting that the place was (maybe) 1/4 full on a Saturday night. Does anybody know how they are doing? We've been there several times and have enjoyed it, but were concerned that maybe they were struggling with the economy and the competition.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Rivue

by RonnieD » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:35 pm

according to the one ba-zillion billboards that litter the city (I think there is one on every block... :roll: ) they are "one year old and still on top," or some other chest-thumping nonsense. But 1/4 full on Sat. isn't good...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:47 am

RonnieD wrote: still on top," or some other chest-thumping nonsense.

Hey, it's literally true! The rotating things atop the Galt House that look like frog's eyes are still up there, right on the top! No chest-thumping there!

Of course, if they meant it metaphorically that could be a whole nuther story ...
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:18 am

I am looking forward to trying Rivue-Taking my Mom there for her 75th B-Day for lunch next week with some other friends.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:42 am

Somehow I'm not "turned on" by the thought of going to a place where everyone who likes it talked about taking a 70-mid 80 year old person there!

I seem to remember that as we age there is less of an ability to tolerate spices and seasonings; I know my father (86) comments that spicy foods he used to love have become almost intolerable.

Does the fact that everyone talks about Rivue being good for the elderly mean Rivue offers bland food in a striking setting?????
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 am

I brought my wife there for a romantic dinner about 6 months ago. We are not senior citizens and we thought the ambiance was excellent. We had a small table by the window--it was quite special. The food was also good. Overall we were pleased and impressed with the experience.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Keith D Heath

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm

by Keith D Heath » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:57 pm

I can second (or third) the positive remarks about Rivue. My wife and I ate there for a recent anniversary and had a wonderful experience. Our server was fun and relaxed while at the same time very responsive to anything that we needed. The food was great and definitely not bland. I would definitely recommend it to anyone even those who aren't of the more senior set (we're both way south of our 80's).
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:53 pm

Actually my Mom is a pretty good eater and does like some spice here and there--we are going for memories...Her husband, my father decorated to OLD Galt House and she has not been back since her brother and sister-in-law decorated the new Rivue and other areas of the Hotel.
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

by Tony_S » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:41 pm

My 80 year old mother tolerates spicy cuisine quite well. Her Portobella Napolean looked quite tasty. I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that Rivue caters to the elderly. There were as many younger couples there as 'older' people. I do recommend it for both the food and the setting. Not only is the food tasty, it's presentation is some of the most dazzling in the city!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:30 am

Ok, not a problem . . . it's just that over several threads almost half of the reviews of Rivue had mentioned taking elderly parents there! Sounds like more of a coincidence than a trend.
Andrew Mellman