Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Corbett's Closing??

no avatar
User

Ryzek Mal

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:39 pm

Suspended: Apparent troll

Corbett's Closing??

by Ryzek Mal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 pm

I would say it's just a rumor, but I have heard it from 2 different people now. Is Corbett's closing or not? Word on the street is they will close after the Ryder Cup, for which they apparently already have bookings. Has anyone else heard this? I've heard a bunch of stuff about higher costs and lower than expected sales ever since they opened, but it seems a little unlikely a place they would sink that much money into would fail so quickly. Anyone?
no avatar
User

Alan Schaefer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Corbett's Closing??

by Alan Schaefer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:48 pm

I doubt Corbett's is closing. These are only rumors, maybe we shouldn't speculate, because speculation and rumors can really cause a business harm. People hear these rumors and stop going to the restaurant, which causes a loss of revenue. I would rather deal with topics that deal with the love of food, great restaurants, and the things that happen in them. Sorry, but rumors are dangerous. Corbett's is a great place and with it being newly opened, changes are bound to happen until everything settles. There is a quote that goes " Never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see"
"The more one learns the more one sees the need to learn more and that study,as well as broadening the mind of the craftsman, provides an easy way of perfecting himself in the practice of our art." Auguste Escoffier
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:05 pm

Alan Schaefer wrote:I doubt Corbett's is closing. These are only rumors, maybe we shouldn't speculate, because speculation and rumors can really cause a business harm. People hear these rumors and stop going to the restaurant, which causes a loss of revenue. I would rather deal with topics that deal with the love of food, great restaurants, and the things that happen in them. Sorry, but rumors are dangerous. Corbett's is a great place and with it being newly opened, changes are bound to happen until everything settles. There is a quote that goes " Never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see"

Isn't rumor spreading one of the primary purposes of internet discussion boards?

In all seriousness, I agree with your sentiment, but feel that such speculation is inevitable when you cross the food business with internet discussions.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Matthew D wrote:Isn't rumor spreading one of the primary purposes of internet discussion boards?

In all seriousness, I agree with your sentiment, but feel that such speculation is inevitable when you cross the food business with internet discussions.

Matthew, please note that Internet discussion boards, like restaurants and, for that matter, newspapers, vary widely in their quality and in their policies.

This forum has been operating for many years as an adjunct of the region's leading food-and-dining media resource, LouisvilleHotBytes.com. We require real names and strongly encourage civil behavior, and we incorporate a good crowd of food-industry professionals and passionate local "foodies."

We also have a long-standing unwritten rule about restaurant-related rumors: If you hear one, check it out. Call the restaurant and ask. If you hear a rumor from a friend, name the friend and give us his qualifications. Does he work at the restaurant, or change the oil in your car?

It's not that complicated. This rumor, however, has all the earmarks of foolishness of one type or another: A jealous competitor, maybe? Or a nut.

Bottom line, I won't censor the original post. But I would encourage you (and any other new arrivals) not to confuse this forum with your typical message board full of anonymous noisemakers.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 pm

Since the OP is from a first-timer to the community here I wouldn't put too much credence into this topic. In fact, I think it's a pretty nasty flame that I would snuff out if I ran the board!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:27 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Since the OP is from a first-timer to the community here I wouldn't put too much credence into this topic. In fact, I think it's a pretty nasty flame that I would snuff out if I ran the board!

Tempting, although now a thread has developed with some reasonable questions and answers about policy in it. Plus, if the original poster is willing to return and tell us more, it would be worth knowing just who's spreading this "word on the street." Since the poster is so curious, I'm sure he will be happy to tell us that ...
no avatar
User

Dean Corbett

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm

by Dean Corbett » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:31 pm

All right folks...evidently everyone is having a slow week, not only are we not closing after Ryder cup or any other cup for that matter, we will be opening for 6 days for lunch on August 4th and Sunday Brunch after October for the holiday's, honest to God people...get a clue, you don't survive in this hellish business for 25 years just to open your dream restaurant and then close it, we are doing great, summertime is SLOW for all restaurants except for my man Fernando, we cut back 2 staff positions...that's right 2 out of 55, alert the media they must be in trouble! On to the next poor bastard who has to endure such nonsensicle speculation.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Dean Corbett wrote:On to the next poor bastard who has to endure such nonsensicle speculation.

Hey, I'm the poor b@$tard who has to moderate this crap!

Thanks for jumping right in with the word, Dean. We're checking with the ISP to determine whether the original poster used a pseudonym ... if so, he or she or it will soon be history.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm

And may I say that a few weeks ago we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Corbett's (with my parents who were celebrating their 60th!) The place was packed and it was a memorable meal. Simply outstanding food and service.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 pm

Jon K wrote:And may I say that a few weeks ago we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Corbett's (with my parents who were celebrating their 60th!) The place was packed and it was a memorable meal. Simply outstanding food and service.

For what it's worth, Mary and I went with a quartet of good friends quite recently, had an outstanding meal, and I don't recall seeing a single empty seat inside or out.

We await Mr. Mal's elucidation. Personally I think the rumor is stupid, but I would just as soon not see this topic degenerate into a "typical Internet message board" flame war in response to a troll. Fair enough, gang?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:00 pm

OK, I'll behave.

Good news, Deano - I expected to hear nothing less. See you soon.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:28 pm

Dean Corbett wrote:All right folks...evidently everyone is having a slow week, not only are we not closing after Ryder cup or any other cup for that matter, we will be opening for 6 days for lunch on August 4th and Sunday Brunch after October for the holiday's, honest to God people...get a clue, you don't survive in this hellish business for 25 years just to open your dream restaurant and then close it, we are doing great, summertime is SLOW for all restaurants except for my man Fernando, we cut back 2 staff positions...that's right 2 out of 55, alert the media they must be in trouble! On to the next poor bastard who has to endure such nonsensicle speculation.
Nicely done Dean!! Let's review..you are the only guy with the ba%$@ to open a fine dining house, with a state of the art kitchen, in a challenging market, in an economy that sucks, in a place that is speculative, and when C.O.G.s are twice what they where a year ago and you have to get trashed by a drive by troll?? I don't really know you but I will say that you are, and have been, the vanguard in this town and don't let anyone tell you otherwise........
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:08 pm

i'm with t.p. lowe on this one... a first time poster has heard a rumor from "2 different people" ( must be fact then) and it is allowed to stand???
this kind of post does way more harm than good and has potential to damage a guy ( dean corbett) who is respected by ALL of his peers in this VERY difficult business!!!
it is a huge disservice to deano, someone who has been a leader in the louisville restaurant scene, to even have to worry about a post like this.
please take it down. it is not an informative review, nor a 1st hand experience being related!
my two cents.
andrew
no avatar
User

Ryzek Mal

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:39 pm

Suspended: Apparent troll

by Ryzek Mal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:30 pm

Good god, everyone calm down. It was an innocent enough question. No one was trying to ruin anyone's life. Like I said in the start of my post, it was just a rumor. I thought this might be the proper forum to ask people in the know. There was nothing antagonistic or negative towards Corbett's in my post. It was just a simple question. I don't think there's really any need to interrogate witnesses or do any wire tapping. I don't know what normally goes on here, but you people need to get over yourselves.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:51 am

Ryzek, let's try to keep this very simple: You came into our forum - and you were welcome. We're open to all.

But then, in your VERY FIRST POST, you broke a number of our long-standing customs and traditions by posting a potentially damaging and demonstrably inaccurate rumor, based on anonymous sources, WITHOUT CHECKING IT OUT.

In short, you dived right into our conversations without taking even a moment to read the forum and become familiar first with our customs and our culture. It's sort of like inviting yourself to a tasteful party at a country club, then coming in naked and telling loud dirty jokes.

Okay, everybody's entitled to one mistake. But now, in your reply, you are berating us for bashing you?

Strike two!

We'd be delighted to have you participate in our forum in a positive way? Would you like to do that? There'll be no need to call strike three if you're willing to work with us. Tell us a little about yourself. Are you in the restaurant business? Have you ever dined at Corbett's? And, if you will, just where exactly did you hear this "talk on the street"?

Ryzek Mal wrote:Good god, everyone calm down. It was an innocent enough question. No one was trying to ruin anyone's life. Like I said in the start of my post, it was just a rumor. I thought this might be the proper forum to ask people in the know. There was nothing antagonistic or negative towards Corbett's in my post. It was just a simple question. I don't think there's really any need to interrogate witnesses or do any wire tapping. I don't know what normally goes on here, but you people need to get over yourselves.
Next