Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Red Pepper

no avatar
User

Jess T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: Red Pepper

by Jess T » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 am

We recently moved to Crescent Hill (this week :)). I have to admit that I know nothing about Chinese food. I always prefer Thai or Japanese. My only worry about the Red Pepper menu, from what I've seen online, is that the authentic menu does not have a lot of description. Any ideas on what to try first? I will eat anything but the standard fare of really fried/greasy chicken that I usually end up with from Chinese places.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 am

Brand McGowan wrote:I live 2 minutes away from Red Pepper ,literally.

Hey, you're about the tenth forumite to pop up in this neighborhood! We're maybe 2 1/2 minutes away, unless there's a train ...
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:31 am

We went to Red Pepper last Friday and the place was pretty full, so our previous visits must have just been slow nights. You're right, the authentic menu doesn't offer much in the way of description, but the older woman who usually works in the dining room (the owner, I assume) speaks English very well and can offer a pretty good description of particular dishes. I'm trying to eat my way though the authentic menu and she's always willing to offer a suggestion.
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

by Brand M » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brand McGowan wrote:I live 2 minutes away from Red Pepper ,literally.

Hey, you're about the tenth forumite to pop up in this neighborhood! We're maybe 2 1/2 minutes away, unless there's a train ...

Haha Robin,I see that! We should start an underground food club ,hehe.Kidnap one of the great chefs on here and make them cook for us.With so many passionate foodies , Red Pepper should have some regulars :).

Offtopic* have you seen the deli near Red Pepper that has a sign that says "Best Philly Cheesesteak in town".I highly doubt that but I will give it a try.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:51 pm

Brand McGowan wrote:Offtopic* have you seen the deli near Red Pepper that has a sign that says "Best Philly Cheesesteak in town".I highly doubt that but I will give it a try.

Is that the little house right across Brownsboro from Red Pepper, where Mellillo's got its start and the Bourbon Brothers later used to be? ;) I keep seeing the signs and think I should check it out, but I thought it was a coffee shop. Cheesesteaks? I wonder how they compete with Spinelli's or ... Danny Mac's!

Definitely worth a checkout, don't you think?
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brand M » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Is that the little house right across Brownsboro from Red Pepper, where Mellillo's got its start and the Bourbon Brothers later used to be? ;) I keep seeing the signs and think I should check it out, but I thought it was a coffee shop. Cheesesteaks? I wonder how they compete with Spinelli's or ... Danny Mac's!

Definitely worth a checkout, don't you think?[/quote]

Yeah, thats the one . It's a coffee shop, that's why I'm skeptical about the best cheesesteak in town.Hey I have an open mind ,though.It will be a tall accomplishment to get the in the realm of a Danny Mac cheesesteak, hehe.I will say good advertising. They have us speculating and talking about them ,hehe.I will give it a try this week and if it's not up to par..... I will sue for false advertising!! I kid, I kid :).So Robin, give me a recomendation on an entree at Red Pepper ?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Brand McGowan wrote:So Robin, give me a recomendation on an entree at Red Pepper ?

Oh, man, anything on the authentic menu! I love the Pan-Fried Tofu, even though I'm an omnivore, but I've never had a dish I didn't like there. Read up the thread and you'll see a number of favorites mentioned. :)
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:10 pm

Jeremy J wrote:I have a good idea of what to suggest to my vegetarian wife, but I love meat, so what are your suggestions in that arena???

Of the non-vegetarian entrees I've tried, the Kung Pao chicken is a favorite, when ordered off of the authentic menu. I also recently discovered the Hunan chicken when it was a special last week. I will definitely be ordering it again. I don't eat much beef, but I've tried the Mongolian Beef and that was quite tasty though a little heavy on the onions for me. My family also enjoys the ginger lamb.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 am

As has been mentioned if you tell the lady who runs the place your likes and dislikes she is really good at recommending things, and heed her warning if she says you might not like something. Last time I was there I didn't listen to her and found an appetizerI really didn't like. But out of the dozen times I've been there one dish thats a strikeout isn't a bad average.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Went again today, of course had my fix of the dragon wanton. Tried their cumin lamb, was a bit scared that it would be an overwhelming plate of cumin but not at all, it was balanced quite well and I would recommend it to those who have a taste for cumin.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Ray G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Highlands

by Ray G. » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ray G. wrote:I was part of a party of four and we all ordered 3 different vegetarian dishes from the authentic menu. The tofu was very mushy and the flavors left something to be desired in all of the entries. I was the only "flexitarian" of the group. Because I have faith in most of the foodies that post here, I will probably return and order something more fleshy to give them one more shot. However, I was quite disappointed with the vegetarian dishes.

Did anybody have the pan-fried tofu, Ray? Maybe it's a matter of different tastes, but it's one of my Red Pepper favorites, and I've had it probably a half-dozen times.

Nobody ordered it so I'll try the pan fried tofu the next time I go. However, I don't think I can convince the other 3 to try them again :cry:
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:03 am

Brand McGowan wrote:Is that the little house right across Brownsboro from Red Pepper, where Mellillo's got its start and the Bourbon Brothers later used to be? ;) I keep seeing the signs and think I should check it out, but I thought it was a coffee shop. Cheesesteaks? I wonder how they compete with Spinelli's or ... Danny Mac's!

Definitely worth a checkout, don't you think?

Yeah, that's the one . It's a coffee shop, that's why I'm skeptical about the best cheesesteak in town.Hey I have an open mind ,though.It will be a tall accomplishment to get the in the realm of a Danny Mac cheesesteak, hehe.I will say good advertising. They have us speculating and talking about them ,hehe.I will give it a try this week and if it's not up to par..... I will sue for false advertising!! I kid, I kid :).So Robin, give me a recommendation on an entree at Red Pepper ?

I hate to say this, but I wasn't impressed. And I had my hopes on another stop on my way to work. Chicago Gyros, down the way is under new management. He says he carves his gyros off the vertical spit to order. The cuts were fairly regular, with no fraying, so it seems he may get the premade cylinders and/ or was indulging in some in- house marketing. Regardless, it was a king's portion for a pauper's price (like $7 with the fry add- on,) so I was quite happy.
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brand M » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:05 am

[/quote] I hate to say this, but I wasn't impressed. And I had my hopes on another stop on my way to work. Chicago Gyros, down the way is under new management. He says he carves his gyros off the vertical spit to order. The cuts were fairly regular, with no fraying, so it seems he may get the premade cylinders and/ or was indulging in some in- house marketing. Regardless, it was a king's portion for a pauper's price (like $7 with the fry add- on,) so I was quite happy.[/quote] *for some reason the quote button didn't work*

Oh, you tried the cheesesteak?

I ventured into Red Pepper Thursday for dinner and it was was delicious!! We started the meal with dragon wonton's ,which were very good.I had the authentic Kung Pao chicken and my date had the roasted duck.Both were of exceptional quality.The Kung Pao had some heat in it! One of the peppers hit me under the tongue and my face turned almost as red as the pepper. Her duck was cooked perfect, about medium.It was juicy and moist and the presentation was very interesting.They pour the sauce over the duck at the table and the dish sizzle and steams.I will recommend Red Pepper to anyone who likes Oriental style food.I'm ecstatic that is so close to my house!

On a side note,I had early dinner at Maido on Saturday before work at it was great as always.Not only is their sushi awesome,their beer selection is vast and hand selected from many different styles and countries.It also down the street. Too bad ,the gym isn't so close :P.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Brand McGowan wrote:*for some reason the quote button didn't work*

FWIW, it looks like it worked but you just trimmed the wrong parts.
no avatar
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

by Tony_S » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:12 pm

A friend and I drove down to Red Pepper for lunch the other day. We loved it! Not only was the food excellent, we each got out the door for well under $10 including a generous tip for our very attentive server. This included and entree, soup, and an egg roll. WOW! Support this local gem even though it is in a 'cursed' (and sort of ugly) building.
PreviousNext