Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Red Pepper

no avatar
User

Sanjay S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:30 am

Re: Red Pepper

by Sanjay S » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Paul,

I think the dancing chili pepper you saw is from Bazo's Fresh Mexican Grill. They've moved onto Dutchmans Lane across from Norton Suburban Hospital and the chili pepper has been seen dancing out front and passing out coupons and menus.

As for the Red Pepper, I've only been there once but it was great. I'm always torn between Oriental House and Red Pepper - I hope they're both around for a long time.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:42 pm

A few comments back, Steve Shade inquired about the perplexing names given to some of the dishes at Red Pepper.

I recently finished a terrific book, "Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China" by Fuchsia Dunlop. She explains that the names of many dishes originate from details of their origin, not from strict description. For example, "A married couple who roamed the streets with their cooking equipment had a relationship so famously harmonious that their specialty - slices of beef offal tossed with celery and roasted nuts in a fiery dressing...is still known as 'Man-and-Wife Lung Slices.'" Ironically, this very dish (among others) has been targeted for a name change by the Chinese Olympic Committee, which is trying to make Chinese menu items more comprehensible to Western tourists.

Dunlop's book has inspired me to eat through the menu at Red Pepper. Last night I went there and ordered three appetizers: Dan Dan Noodles, Sliced Beef and Maw, and Bell Dumpling. The noodles were fresh wheat noodles with a sauce of Sichuan pepper-seasoned oil and, I think, crushed peanuts. Although billed as "spicy," it wasn't the kind of spicy that makes you reach for your water glass. Rather, it had a pleasurably mouth-tingling sensation. The Sliced Beef and Maw had similar seasoning, but the extra pleasure was in the contrast of textures within the dish. Celery had been cut into such tiny dice that the effect was that of crunchy nuts. The Bell Dumplings were made of a sesame-type yeasty dough and filled with sweet bean paste. They almost tasted like doughnuts. A crispy exterior led to a chewy inside and a soft sweetness.

Most of us are well-familiar with the canon of Western dishes by now. We've debated comparisons of barbecue, pizza, lasagne and fried chicken. But there's also half a globe of culinary accomplishment, thousands of dishes, that are coming into our radar.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:43 pm

I treated DH and DD (in celebration of DH's birthday) to dinner at Red Pepper tonight. They were doing a good business tonight, both dining in and carry out. The food was wonderful. As you know I like hot food and Red Pepper didn't diasppoint. I had a tofu dish with a red pepper sauce that will "Light your fire." DD had the dry green beans which was yummy (I stole a few beans) and DH had the sliced fish and veggies in a spicy sauce The lady there (the owner?) was extremely helpful and altered the dishes slightly to meet our requests. Also for an app we had Dan Dan Noodles. Noodles, peanut and chili sauce and a bit of spinach. We all loved the Dan Dan especially and plan to get that and the green beans for a meal next time. 1 shared app + three entrees and several glasses of iced tea came right to $40. We chose off the red menu. Yummy and we'll be back.
no avatar
User

Ray G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Highlands

by Ray G. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:24 am

I was part of a party of four and we all ordered 3 different vegetarian dishes from the authentic menu. The tofu was very mushy and the flavors left something to be desired in all of the entries. I was the only "flexitarian" of the group. Because I have faith in most of the foodies that post here, I will probably return and order something more fleshy to give them one more shot. However, I was quite disappointed with the vegetarian dishes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:30 am

Ray G. wrote:I was part of a party of four and we all ordered 3 different vegetarian dishes from the authentic menu. The tofu was very mushy and the flavors left something to be desired in all of the entries. I was the only "flexitarian" of the group. Because I have faith in most of the foodies that post here, I will probably return and order something more fleshy to give them one more shot. However, I was quite disappointed with the vegetarian dishes.

Did anybody have the pan-fried tofu, Ray? Maybe it's a matter of different tastes, but it's one of my Red Pepper favorites, and I've had it probably a half-dozen times.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:15 am

Does the pan-fried tofu come in the hot red pepper sauce? That may have been what I had. And as a vegetarian who eats her ration of tofu, we refer to it as "creamy." It is a different texture than meat, and the kitchen's choice of silken, firm or extra-firm has a direct impact on texture.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:18 am

I REALLY loved the flavors in the pan fried tofu dish, but the texture was much too soft for me. For me, the term pan fried made me think FIRMER - as fried tofu usually is. But I understand too that in true asian cooking, tofu is usually quite soft. Man I would LOVE that dish if they pressed the tofu first though.

I had the same issue with a kung pao tofu dish I had as well.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:40 am

Leah s wrote:Does the pan-fried tofu come in the hot red pepper sauce? That may have been what I had. And as a vegetarian who eats her ration of tofu, we refer to it as "creamy." It is a different texture than meat, and the kitchen's choice of silken, firm or extra-firm has a direct impact on texture.

No, the pan-fried comes in a thick brown sauce, savory but not fiery - probably hoisin-based - and it's served on top of spinach. The tofu is fried crunchy on the outside but really creamy within.

You MAY be thinking of Ma Po To Fu, which Red Pepper's chef does make in a very authentic Sichuanese style. I love it, too ... um, it may have pork in it, though. The original recipe does, but I'm not sure about his.

I think you've hit the nail on the head about the various tofu textures.

Signed, omnivorous but loves tofu ...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 am

Heather L wrote:I REALLY loved the flavors in the pan fried tofu dish, but the texture was much too soft for me. For me, the term pan fried made me think FIRMER - as fried tofu usually is. But I understand too that in true asian cooking, tofu is usually quite soft. Man I would LOVE that dish if they pressed the tofu first though.

I had the same issue with a kung pao tofu dish I had as well.

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but see the side conversation with Leah about the various textures of tofu. To me, the genius of Red Pepper's pan-fried tofu is exactly the contrast between the crispy edges and the hot, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth interior. It's a paradigm shift, I tellya ...
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:29 pm

This post is making me crave some pan-fried tofu... And I ate at Red Pepper twice this past weekend. Once for the pan-fried tofu and the second time I tried the Ma Po tofu, which sounds like what Leah ate. I enjoyed it but the pan-fried is still my favorite. It's probably my favorite tofu dish in the city...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:36 pm

Jessica H wrote: It's probably my favorite tofu dish in the city...

Totally agree! We should have a forum Pan Fried Tofu offline at Red Pepper and make them give it to us in a barrel!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Totally agree! We should have a forum Pan Fried Tofu offline at Red Pepper and make them give it to us in a barrel!

Make it lunch and throw in some of those sweet potato with sesame things and I am in!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 pm

So I checked this place out last week.....pretty good. Very competent food preparation. Dug the dragon wantons. Unfortunately they ARE in the cursed building. I have to try them a few more times to see if they can rival my favorite dish from oriental house, the fish and chinese broccoli. I can't get enough of it. Anyway, I liked red pepper. Too bad about their location.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 pm

Let's not try and add to the "curse" John, anywho...I'm eating there tues. night for the first time...I have a good idea of what to suggest to my vegetarian wife, but I love meat, so what are your suggestions in that arena???
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

by Brand M » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:35 am

I live 2 minutes away from Red Pepper ,literally. I'm going to take a date that is an unadventurous eater.I'm sure she will find something on the "Americanized" menu. My Louisville favorite is Vietnam Kitchen, and I order most of the hottest dishes they serve. I can't claim to know authentic Chinese.Any suggestions on an authentic "spicy" entree?
PreviousNext