Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Red Pepper

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Red Pepper

by Richard S. » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 pm

Tried Red Pepper for the first time last week and I've already been twice. I don't see how I'll ever be able to go back to the Jumbo Buffet. My wife, who is generally unwilling to try anything remotely out of the ordinary, absolutely loves the Unique Chicken Smell. Tonight, I had Chef Special Hot Chicken, which was fried chunks of chicken with garlic, served in a bed of red peppers. The waitress warned me it would be spicy (which was what I was looking for) and she wasn't kidding.
I'm a little concerned because when we were there last Friday night there was only one other table in the restaurant. I hope they succeed.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Red Pepper

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 am

While I enjoy Oriental House (under its new management) and Jasmine in Middletown as the other two places where you can get you chops into an authentic Chinese menu, I think it's arguable that Red Pepper is the city's No. 1 Chinese restaurant these days. Inexpensive and easy to get to ... what's not to like?

I've rarely seen it that empty in the evening (a sign of the economy?) but for what it's worth, like most Chinese restaurants, they also seem to do a pretty fair take-out business.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Red Pepper Website

by John Lisherness » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:16 am

Red Pepper Chinese Cuisine now has a website with a link to their "Authentic Chinese Dishies " menu ( the other menu is labeled as their "to go" menu).
There's now a link on http://www.MenusOfLouisville.com to http://www.redpepperchinesecuisine.com/
no avatar
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

by Anthony U » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:50 am

Robin - Its even better than August Moon?!! If so, then that's very impressive...
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 am

I read through the Chinese menu. I go to the Oriental House and get stuff off of the authentic menu. Will have to try the Red Pepper. Of course I have to ask what some of the stuff is, but these items really struck me.

Towel Gourd Tofu ....... they make gourds out of old towels?
Concubine Prawns ....... What exactly are these prawns doing before being cooked?
Boiled Watered Sliced Fish ... Fish is watered down (to what)?
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:15 am

Anthony U wrote:Robin - Its even better than August Moon?!! If so, then that's very impressive...

Okay, definition of terms here: August Moon, and even more so its half-sibling Asiatique, are sui generis. The reflect the creative skill of Chef Peng Looi and his partners. They also bring an unusual level of upscale style to their dining scenes. I love them both.

But that being said, I don't rank either highly on the same scale of authentic Chinese cookery as I do the authentic menus (not the regular-for-Americans menus) at Red Pepper, Oriental House and Jasmine.

Different roads leading to similar but different destinations. Make sense?
no avatar
User

Paul Nicheols

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 24, 2008 1:07 am

FABD Smokehouse

by Paul Nicheols » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Is this place located in Dupont? I was catering at Nortons the other day and saw a kid dressed up as pepper dancing, but I didn't see the name on the building.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Paul Nicheols wrote:Is this place located in Dupont? I was catering at Nortons the other day and saw a kid dressed up as pepper dancing, but I didn't see the name on the building.

No. Former Shariat's, the Moorish building, originally built as an Indian restaurant, on the north side of Brownsboro Road just a couple of blocks west of Zorn/Hillcrest.

Go. Ask for the authentic menu. Chat up the owners, who have decent English as long as you don't talk too fast. It's a cool place, if you like real Chinese.

They don't seem like the type who would dress up as peppers. :D
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Go. Ask for the authentic menu. Chat up the owners, who have decent English as long as you don't talk too fast. It's a cool place, if you like real Chinese.
:D

I went for lunch today and agree with all that Robin said.
Although the Americanized menu is identified as the "take out" menu, items on the "Authentic Chinese Dishies" are also available for take out.
Both menus are online as pdfs.
no avatar
User

Paul Nicheols

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 24, 2008 1:07 am

FABD Smokehouse

by Paul Nicheols » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks Robin, the place sounds good and its right down the street, I will try it out sometime. I wish I knew what place I was referring to. That Pepper had some pretty good moves.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:19 am

They aren't located at the "cursed" building, are they?
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Jake Wildstrom

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 10, 2008 7:02 pm

Schnitzelburg (40217)

by Jake Wildstrom » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:38 am

I too am dismayed by the sparseness of the crowd at Red Pepper.They've got a great place with great food, but the volume of customers they've been getting doesn't seem enough to keep them afloat. I've only seen them of evenings, so I hope they have a brisk lunch business.

Go now, folks, because (a) they could use your business, and (b) you might not get another chance.
A matematikus olyan gép, amely kávéból tételeket készít. [A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.]
-Alfréd Rényi
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:16 pm

I love Red Pepper too! I hope it does not close! You are right, when we go, we are usually the only table but we go on weeknights...
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 pm

I had dinner at Red Pepper tonite with a friend and the place was quite busy- there were at least 9 tables that I counted and quite a rush of take out. The owner said business had been pretty good, so with luck it will stay around for a while.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:49 pm

We've only been once and were pleased with what we had, just not wowed. We both agreed that we have every intention of trying it again, but we usually end up at Oriental House.
Next