Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

Re: Sala Thai - the rest of the story

by Scott Rudd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:50 am

No not on this project. I did two different ones in Hikes Point. Neither was built.

Paula B wrote:Scott, were you the architect on that job? :lol:

We ate there tonight, this is the last weekend for sala thai as it was. Just hoping the new place has the same, or better, level of food.
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:We find our laughs in different places, Aaron. With numerous local restaurants that ARE closing because of the economy, with the world in a very scary place that's the making of the worst U.S. administration in history, some things deserve to be said over and over and over again.

That said, in fairness I'll welcome a last word if you care to have it, but then let's get back to yakking about good things to eat and drink.

Hahahah. Ok final word then. Nice pedestal you place yourself on in an attempt to grab for a higher moral position. The laugh I found had nothing to do with the state of the economy, or any business closing or with the state of the economy; my laugh was found in one individual's misplaced desire to throw blame around. The owners may have even decided to sell based on the state of the economy or they may not have, but I do find your reaction funny given the fact that there was someone willing to buy it and INVEST in it. Had they not decided to remodel they'd probably not have closed at all and the transition would have been relatively seamless. So yes, I find it humorous, that a restaurant CLOSING TO REMODEL evoked curses upon the "Bush recession."

The economy certainly is in bad shape. But in bad times, it's even MORE important to find the laughs where you can.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:The economy certainly is in bad shape. But in bad times, it's even MORE important to find the laughs where you can.

I promised you the last word. Only fair. And I DO agree with this. :)
no avatar
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

by Anthony U » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Free beer to the first forumite who gets out to the new place and check it out. :)

Robin, just how MUCH beer are we talking about here... its around the corner from my office.... :lol:

-Anthony
no avatar
User

Ray G.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Highlands

by Ray G. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:17 am

I do, however, find it humorous when something like this is blown out of proportion and is immediately blamed on Bush and 'his' recession.

................just the same as I find it funny when Repubs still blame today's economy on Bill Clinton :roll:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:41 am

Ray G. wrote:................just the same as I find it funny when Repubs still blame today's economy on Bill Clinton :roll:

Well, all the economic problems we're having were his fault, so he deserves the blame! :mrgreen:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:28 am

Though the food at Sala Thai was excellent, it was the seemingly interminable waits for food that finally made a trip seem less worth while.

On the economy... I must sadly note as a registered Democrat, the the economy didn't start tanking until Pelosi and Reid gained their positions of leadership in Congress. Further, they seem to be determined to keep it in the tank by deliberately increasing oil prices, which by the way, is an official policy of the Democratic party, and a key plank of Senator Obama's platform.

And, many believe the banking crisis can be attributed to lax oversight by the Federal Reserve and to banking reforms signed into law by Bill Clinton, non of whom are George Bush.

Certainly President Bush is a flawed man, but I can't figure out how this is supposed to be "his recession". Bush has taken on the role the boogie man used to play. His name is invoked to scare people who should know better.
no avatar
User

Judy Kay

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:58 pm

by Judy Kay » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Yes, I'm very sadden that one of my favorite restaurants is closed. :( I was shocked when I heard the news. I dined there at least once a week and never had to wait for food or a table. Steve, maybe you just happen to dine there on one of their busier days? I guess it depends on your patience and how long you are willing to wait. My husband and I are casual diners, we usually aren't in a hurry to go anywhere.

Well, from what I heard from the lovely young lady who sat us last time we dined there, their lease was expiring and they decided not to renew. They said something about having a place downtown but it was only buffet lunch only for right now, I'm hoping it will change in the future. I personally do not enjoy buffet style Asian cuisine, but if they change their set up downtown I just might have to make a trip down there. I'm gonna have to keep track of them. With the new arena and all, I might be down there more often! So I guess everything isn't to be blamed on the economy, although it certainly doesn't help small businesses.

Thanks for keeping me informed.
-Judy
no avatar
User

Christopher J H

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:40 pm

by Christopher J H » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:45 pm

:D Sala Thai is closing fore sure. There will be a new Thai restaurant called Thai Orchids. From what I hear , the food is just as good if not better. I can't wait until they open. I know this will be a great place to get your Thai food fix in Stony Brook. It is also rumored that the management has already built a great deal of respect and trust with sala thai clients. :o
no avatar
User

SheilaB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Louisville

by SheilaB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 pm

So - has anyone confirmed that the Sala Thai folks will be opening a thai lunch place downtown. Can't tell you how happy that would make me....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:16 pm

SheilaB wrote:So - has anyone confirmed that the Sala Thai folks will be opening a thai lunch place downtown. Can't tell you how happy that would make me....

I assume that they're talking about the already existing Sala Thai City Wok on Main, which the Sala Thai folks took over and operate as a lunch buffet. Sadly, I've been in there three or four times and really tried to like it, but it was lackluster indeed.

If they plan to replicate the full-service Thai quality of the Stony Brook spot in a downtown location, I would be delighted. But I took it that they were just talking about City Wok.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Christopher J H wrote::D Sala Thai is closing fore sure. There will be a new Thai restaurant called Thai Orchids. From what I hear , the food is just as good if not better. I can't wait until they open. I know this will be a great place to get your Thai food fix in Stony Brook. It is also rumored that the management has already built a great deal of respect and trust with sala thai clients. :o

Christopher, do you have any connection with Thai Orchids? I don't mean to sound accusatory, but this is written an awful lot like a "stealth spam" posting, a commercial post written so as to appear to be from a disinterested consumer.

Please pardon me if I'm accusing you wrongly, but please 'fess up if this is the case. We would much rather have restaurant folks participate with us here as peers than try to trick us.
no avatar
User

Christopher J H

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Christopher J H » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:00 pm

There is no trickery to my reply, only truth! LOL Yes, My wife ( Supawadee) and I will be opening Thai Orchids ASAP.
no avatar
User

Christopher J H

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Christopher J H » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:03 pm

We are also thinking about adding sushi to the menu for any sushi lovers. What do you think?
no avatar
User

Leah Newton

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Louisville

by Leah Newton » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:If they plan to replicate the full-service Thai quality of the Stony Brook spot in a downtown location, I would be delighted. But I took it that they were just talking about City Wok.

Well, Robin, I have good news. The Sala Thai City Wok has actually expanded it's offerings since the closing of the main restaurant. Much of the kitchen staff has moved from the Stony Brook location to the Main St location, and they now offer a limited menu from lunch until 8 P.M. during the week.

Anyhow, the Pad Ke Mow I had there two weeks ago was pretty darn good. I've been back a couple of times (even tried the buffet again) and found overall quality and variety to be much improved. The buffet noodle dishes in particular have had remarkably good texture and flavor.

Oh, and Thai Orchid had to redecorate. Sala Thai took all of the booths, tables, and art work from the Stony Brook location to decorate the Main St spot :D
Previous