Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Kentucky doesn't make this top 10 list - and that's good

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:13 am

It's interesting to note that these states are uniformly in the South, though. (I think Oklahoma and Texas are close enough to count ... )

CNN reports: These are the 10 states with the highest levels of adult obesity, according to a 2007 survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

1. Mississippi, 32.0 percent
2. Alabama, 30.3
3. Tennessee, 30.1
4. Louisiana, 29.8
5. West Virginia, 29.5
6. Arkansas, 28.7
7. South Carolina, 28.4
8. Georgia, 28.2
9. Oklahoma, 28.1
10. Texas, 28.1
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Kentucky doesn't make this top 10 list - and that's good

by Doogy R » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:16 am

Robin Garr wrote:It's interesting to note that these states are uniformly in the South, though. (I think Oklahoma and Texas are close enough to count ... )

CNN reports: These are the 10 states with the highest levels of adult obesity, according to a 2007 survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

1. Mississippi, 32.0 percent
2. Alabama, 30.3
3. Tennessee, 30.1
4. Louisiana, 29.8
5. West Virginia, 29.5
6. Arkansas, 28.7
7. South Carolina, 28.4
8. Georgia, 28.2
9. Oklahoma, 28.1
10. Texas, 28.1

I helped after losing over 40# in the last year. :D
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:21 am

Doogy R wrote:I helped after losing over 40# in the last year. :D

I've lost about 25 after having an operation in March. I'm better off without 'em, but I would just as soon not have lost them that way. ;)
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 am

I'm actually stunned we're not on that list, given the diabetes problem in this state. We must be in the top ten of most other poor health lists ...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:30 am

TP Lowe wrote:I'm actually stunned we're not on that list, given the diabetes problem in this state. We must be in the top ten of most other poor health lists ...

I was surprised too, TP. If i wasn't working on an article on deadline, I'd have googled up the full list ... will do that later today if no one else beats me to it. I'll bet we're in the next five.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:39 am

This study, done in 2005, puts us at #7 in the nation for the highest percentage of the adult population diagnosed with diabetes.

http://chfs.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/25F4BA1 ... ky07FS.pdf
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:38 pm

I've lost 150 lbs over the past couple of years. I can't remember what life was like before I lost the weight. I couldn't have been healthy. It makes me sad. A friend of mine from high school came into town a few weeks back. She has to weigh 600lbs. We're in our early 30's! I was shocked.

I lost the weight because diabetes and heart disease are prevalent in my family, and my mom's mom died horribly, from diabetes complications. I decided to do something while I was still young, and healthy, despite my size (I weighed 400lbs at one point). My hubby quit smoking, and started going to the gym, and damn, if he isn't my hero. He drags my butt in there some days.

I have an odd outlook on obese folks, though. I sympathize, because I was there, but if I see someone who weighs 600lbs on tv, complaining about their size, and how getting a gastric bypass will fix everything, I want to scream. I lost this weight the old fashioned way, through diet and busting my butt in the gym 5 days a week for an hour or so. Plus, I did the research on the gastric bypass, and it scared me, so I passed on it. It's not an easy fix.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread...stepping off the soapbox now.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Don't get too excited folks....we don't make that list because we're smoking ourselves to death. Check the stats on lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and heart disease. I'll bet we are in the top 3 or 4.

As a state we eat like crap but keep the pounds off by smoking!!! :evil: