Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB: Caffe Perusa is a secret that can't be kept

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 am

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes.com, with Guest Critic Kevin Gibson

Walking into Caffe Perusa is a bit of a shock - it's true that Louisville has a diverse and reputable fine-dining scene, but to find something like this in a strip mall is unexpected.

The wood floors, impeccable décor and crystal-adorned table settings in the main dining area are set off by a perimeter lined with booths that feature white Roman ionic columns and circular arches, set against accents of gold and red. The two-level, 10,000-square-foot restaurant also has four private dining rooms and a wine cellar that holds 10,000 bottles. Outside seating is being developed and should be open in a few weeks.

And, if a recent visit is any indication, the Continental cuisine more than meets the standards set by the upscale trappings.

The elegant Caffe Perusa - in which developer Rodulfo Pantoja reportedly has invested more than $2 million - has been a well-kept secret to this point. There is no website, and precious little has been written about the restaurant, which offers a relatively succinct but impressive menu to go with a diverse wine list.

Caffe Perusa
9200 Taylorsville Road
495-5070
LEO Rating: 91 points

Report in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: LEO/LHB: Caffe Perusa is a secret that can't be kept

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Robin,

I'm so glad you reviewed this restaurant! I went last week and intended to drop you a line suggesting that you do exactly that, but my computer has been fritzy for over a week. My experience there was superb and I think their M-W $25 3-course dinner has to be one of the best food values in town; definitely the best for fine dining! Hopefully, I'll be able to post my own experiernce in more detail soon.

Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Robin,

I'm so glad you reviewed this restaurant!

For the record, Deb, please note that Kevin Gibson served as my surrogate for both this week's Caffe Perusa review and last week's Jarfi's. I brought in help for a couple of weeks for various reasons, including the possibility that my anonymity was compromised and some other stuff.

Kevin is an excellent food writer - he often fills in for me at LEO, and used to write for LEO now and then before I signed on. I'd be proud to claim it was mine :) but I shouldn't take the credit for his excellent work on this review.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:57 pm

Robin,

Don't worry: I had noted well that Kevin had written the article (excellent work, Kevin!) I assumed that you however picked the place to be reviewed, which was what prompted my comment. Regardless of source, I'm really glad you two chose this place- I was VERY impressed by the setting, the excellent food and the service.

Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:42 am

Deb Hall wrote:I assumed that you however picked the place to be reviewed, which was what prompted my comment.

Correctamundo! Anyway, thanks, Deb.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:20 am

I've a few weeks late, but four of us had dinner at Caffe Perusa about 3 weeks ago and it was fabulous. I had the filet with a wonderful veal demi-glaze and mushrooms on top (but no your Mom's steak and mushrooms), everyone else had the snapper and they loved it. We all had the crawfish salad and it was the hit, replacing Jack's spinach salad as my husband's favorite salad in town.

One couple had the study in oysters and we had the escargot - all delicious. Run to this place - it truly is a hidden gem!