Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Well so much for eating Tilapia

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

Well so much for eating Tilapia

by robert szappanos » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 pm

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., July 9 (UPI) -- Farm-raised tilapia has very low levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids and, perhaps worse, very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, U.S. researchers say.

Researchers at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, N.C., say the combination of could be a potentially dangerous food source for some patients with heart disease, arthritis, asthma and other allergic and auto-immune diseases that are particularly vulnerable to an "exaggerated inflammatory response."

Inflammation is known to cause damage to blood vessels, the heart, lung and joint tissues, skin and the digestive tract, the researchers say.

"In the United States, tilapia has shown the biggest gains in popularity among seafood and this trend is expected to continue as consumption is projected to increase from 1.5 million tons in 2003 to 2.5 million tons by 2010," the researchers say in a statement.

Farm-raised tilapia, as well as farmed catfish, "have several fatty acid characteristics that would generally be considered by the scientific community as detrimental," the researchers sat.

The article, published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, says tilapia has higher levels of potentially detrimental long-chain omega-6 fatty acids than 80-percent-lean hamburger, doughnuts and pork bacon.
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

Re: Well so much for eating Tilapia

by Brand M » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:29 pm

I stick with my salmon most of the time. I've almost never ordered tilapia .It doesn't have a distinctive stand out flavor to me.Thanks, for the info ! Now I will definately not be eating it :).
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:40 pm

I guess that catfish is a no no also...
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 pm

I never cared for tilapia anyway. I prefer to eat wild sustainable fish. Farm raised salmon or trout are fine as well.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:31 am

Tilapia always tastes like dirt to me. But it is a shame that we haven't come up with a real good substitute for overfished cod.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:30 am

Wait 5 years for the next research project to contradict this one...

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

I'll take my catfish fried in cornmeal and my tilapia cooked en pappillote, thank you! :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 pm

carla griffin wrote:Tilapia always tastes like dirt to me.

If I'm not mistaken, research has shown that "muddy" flavors in both tilapia and catfish are not natural to the fish or even to a bottom-feeding diet but are the result of a specific kind of algae that's endemic to fish-farm ponds and "flavors" the fish. Virtually all tilapia sold in the US, and most of the catfish, is farmed.

Put that on your fish sandwich and put tartar sauce on it ...
no avatar
User

Harold Baker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:19 am

prospect,ky

by Harold Baker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:56 pm

Well well this to me is a little disturbing,I can think of all the ways we use this product.Chefs like it due to the lower food cost rather than cod witch has risen in price.On the other hand i do not carry tilapia but have switched to basa.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Put that on your fish sandwich and put tartar sauce on it ...

Well...ummm...OK. :wink:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Harold Baker wrote:Well well this to me is a little disturbing,I can think of all the ways we use this product.Chefs like it due to the lower food cost rather than cod witch has risen in price.On the other hand i do not carry tilapia but have switched to basa.

I had some basa at Baxter Station a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I still like catfish and even prepared some at home last night. The last time I bought home some tilapia from the store it had that weird off taste spoken of in an earlier post.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:47 pm

[quote="Harold Baker"]Well well this to me is a little disturbing,I can think of all the ways we use this product.Chefs like it due to the lower food cost rather than cod witch has risen in price.On the other hand i do not carry tilapia but have switched to basa.[/quoteNice job Harold!!...now get back to work cause Willie's looking for ya! Congrats on the review and best of luck baby! (Basa is a nice choice by the way...much better than Tilapia) Love ya Willie!..Dave :lol:
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 pm

Harold Baker wrote:Well well this to me is a little disturbing,I can think of all the ways we use this product.Chefs like it due to the lower food cost rather than cod witch has risen in price.On the other hand i do not carry tilapia but have switched to basa.

I also enjoy basa. I have also ran across a fish called 'forkfish' at Red Pepper that I found absolutely delicious, although I wonder if something is lost in translation. It looks like a small perch, and is a freshwater fish (river, I assume by the name.) It had that pleasant grassy flavour I love in good freshwater fish.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:05 am

spoonbill catfish is the best, wish more folks would use it

the tilapia was tasty at carly rae's
Last edited by Shawn Vest on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:46 am

Yeah what's up with restaurants not using more spoonbill? I seem to remember a fantastic roe from spoonbill as well. It's farmed here in KY, you'd think it would be cheap to get.
Carla
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:52 am

carla griffin wrote:Yeah what's up with restaurants not using more spoonbill? I seem to remember a fantastic roe from spoonbill as well. It's farmed here in KY, you'd think it would be cheap to get.

Shuckman's spoonbill roe is delicious, but it is not cheap. It's priced right up there with caviar at $50 or more an ounce!