Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

WashPo story about small coffee shops

by Jon K » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 pm

Today's Washington Post has an interesting story of how some small coffee shops have prospered and it may have been at Starbucks' expense: Small Coffee Shops Turn the Tables
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: WashPo story about small coffee shops

by Jackie R. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:14 pm

On topic, I just discovered that the owner of Vernon Lanes (near the corner of Frankfort and Story) is opening Vernon Coffee soon. He'll have a roastery in the basement and has a beautiful front of the house coffee bar with several tables and funky decorum.

Off topic, the basement was recently recontructed to entertain large parties with a stage, dance floor, and bar. He currently hosts "salsa nights" on Saturdays and the entire space available for private parties (My Morning Jacket had their CD release party there recently). I have no affiliation but I wanted to pass it on because he was so nice to show me every inch of this dreamspace. I caught him picking his guitar when I was snooping downstairs.

Not to detract from your lovely business, though, Matthew. I'm sure there is room for everyone!
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

There is plenty of room at the table!

I love the Vernon!
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Matt MB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 am

by Matt MB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 pm

As Starbuck attempts to reclaim lost profits (selling stores, $1 mini coffee, breakfast food at some locations), I am puzzled why they don't consider offering free internet. It seems to me that charging for internet usage would put them at a disadvantage to locally owned operations.

Granted, I don't know how much this fee adds to their bottom line; I'm sure T-mobile gets a significant portion, but aren't coffee sales their primary business.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 pm

I think Starbucks has ended or soon will end their relationship with T-Mobile ATT Takes Over Starbucks WiFi