Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

WashPo story about small coffee shops

no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

WashPo story about small coffee shops

by Jon K » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 pm

Today's Washington Post has an interesting story of how some small coffee shops have prospered and it may have been at Starbucks' expense: Small Coffee Shops Turn the Tables
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: WashPo story about small coffee shops

by Jackie R. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:14 pm

On topic, I just discovered that the owner of Vernon Lanes (near the corner of Frankfort and Story) is opening Vernon Coffee soon. He'll have a roastery in the basement and has a beautiful front of the house coffee bar with several tables and funky decorum.

Off topic, the basement was recently recontructed to entertain large parties with a stage, dance floor, and bar. He currently hosts "salsa nights" on Saturdays and the entire space available for private parties (My Morning Jacket had their CD release party there recently). I have no affiliation but I wanted to pass it on because he was so nice to show me every inch of this dreamspace. I caught him picking his guitar when I was snooping downstairs.

Not to detract from your lovely business, though, Matthew. I'm sure there is room for everyone!
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

There is plenty of room at the table!

I love the Vernon!
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Matt MB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 am

by Matt MB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 pm

As Starbuck attempts to reclaim lost profits (selling stores, $1 mini coffee, breakfast food at some locations), I am puzzled why they don't consider offering free internet. It seems to me that charging for internet usage would put them at a disadvantage to locally owned operations.

Granted, I don't know how much this fee adds to their bottom line; I'm sure T-mobile gets a significant portion, but aren't coffee sales their primary business.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 pm

I think Starbucks has ended or soon will end their relationship with T-Mobile ATT Takes Over Starbucks WiFi