Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Another Perfect Dinner at Havana Rumba

no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Another Perfect Dinner at Havana Rumba

by RonnieD » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Last Wednesday the wife and I were out and she insisted that we eat at her new favorite spot: Havana Rumba. (I tried for 2 years to get her to eat there, but she refused, then she went with a friend and fell in love with it) So I happily agreed and what a great, great decision. It was, literally, another perfect meal at Havana Rumba.

Wow. I started off with Palma Louca, an Argentinian lager, which was crisp, clean and delicious. For our starter we selected the croquettes with ham and chicken. I cannot express how wonderful they were. Five perfectly prepared croquettes full of flavor and perfect for whetting the appetite for things to come (exact right portion size as well!) My entree was the Pollo Mojo and my wife ordered the Cubano. I have had that Cubano before (and my wife ordered it because she is addicted to it) and it is fantastic. Those sweet potato fries are heaven. My Pollo Mojo exceeded every expectation. The chicken was tender and moist and bursting with citrus flavor accented by the caramelized onions that adorned it. My sides of rice and plantains provided the perfect compliment to the chicken. Truth be told, I could eat a platter of those plantains by themselves. To finish up we could not resist the Havana Bananas and just writing about them has me considering getting in the car... I am not a big banana fan, but this combination of bananas, banana liqueur, and vanilla ice cream was nothing short of the perfect dessert.

We left extremely happy, full, and with our total bill right at $30, before a generous tip for excellent service, well satisfied with the value. Havana Rumba continues to please and can be assured of two very regular customers!!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Another Perfect Dinner at Havana Rumba

by Doogy R » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:35 pm

I've never had anything but a great meal at Havana Rumba. Also, the prices are beyond reasonable and the wait staff are so friendly and helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:49 pm

We were there Saturday night. Place packed, but only about 15 minute wait. We called ahead and were given one of those space age pagers.

Two margaritas at the bar while waiting. Big and better than any place I have had them.

I got the lamb shank special. I usually order lamb or oxtails if available. This lamb must have been five feet tall. Biggest shank I have seen. Perfectively cooked and tender. Only place I have had this that matched it was at Saffrons.

Excellent service and the price was reasonable. I have never had a bad experience at Havana Rumba.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Havana Rumba is my favorite restaurant in the city.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:44 pm

My only problem is that the ropa vieja is sooo good that I never order anything else. I know, I'm boring..but it's sooooo good! I also love their desserts and they make some of the best mojitos and sangria that I've ever had.