Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Top 10 underrated U.S. cities.

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:50 pm

We made this list. It is sort of food related as it tells of us having our own restaurant row. Anyhow, it's just nice to see the Ville getting somes props.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18024681/
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm

That is interesting and nice to know. Thanks for the link!
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:45 pm

My favorite line, at the risk of starting something:

"this Southern city has loads of small-town charm"
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Favorite line.

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Leah s wrote:My favorite line, at the risk of starting something:

"this Southern city has loads of small-town charm"

I was going to mention that, but then we would have a civil war on the forum just like on the old one. Personally, I believe the Ville to be a Southern city. It does have some tinges of the North and Midwest, but overall, it's Southern.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm

I was doing fine until I read that we have a "fine arts scene, thanks to the Kentucky Center for the Arts." I love the Center, but I don't think it remotely drives the arts scene in Louisville. Still, happy to have the recognition as number 5, and I'm thrilled they noticed the arts!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:34 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I was doing fine until I read that we have a "fine arts scene, thanks to the Kentucky Center for the Arts." I love the Center, but I don't think it remotely drives the arts scene in Louisville. Still, happy to have the recognition as number 5, and I'm thrilled they noticed the arts!

I noticed the same thing, and it struck me as a particularly careless assumption, suggesting a story written by a guy in NYC picking up tidbits off the 'net about cities he's never seen.

Still, echoing everyone else's remarks: It's not a bad thing to get on lists like this!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I was doing fine until I read that we have a "fine arts scene, thanks to the Kentucky Center for the Arts." I love the Center, but I don't think it remotely drives the arts scene in Louisville. Still, happy to have the recognition as number 5, and I'm thrilled they noticed the arts!

I noticed the same thing, and it struck me as a particularly careless assumption, suggesting a story written by a guy in NYC picking up tidbits off the 'net about cities he's never seen.

Still, echoing everyone else's remarks: It's not a bad thing to get on lists like this!

I suppose it could also come from a quick drive down Main Street and being struck by the building itself, which is a wonderful structure for the city. They do great work, too, but one of the things that makes this arts vibrant in Louisville is the breadth of offerings and number of individuals and organizations that are slugging it out for the arts patron. Happy to have them all!
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:28 pm

I have nothing against Kentucky Kingdom, but I wouldn't consider it one of Louisville's best features.

Also, with Bardstown Rd. and Frankfort Ave. we have two restaurant rows.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:48 pm

I love how everyone here recognizes what an amazing town we live in. I am not originally from here, nor is my husband, but we sure feel like it's our home, and know many others from various parts of the country who have been relocated here who feel the same way. I so love Louisville. My hubby's job has been relocated to Dallas, and it has made us both take more stock of all the things we love about Louisville, and we will do what we can not to move. Louisvillians have MUCH to be proud of, and I would never hesitate selling someone on our fine city.
Last edited by Kim H on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm

I started the page on the Wikipedia that outlines most of our city's major attractions and events, and it has built up into quite a page:

List of attractions and events in Louisville, Kentucky

We have a lot to be proud of in our very Midwestern city with a touch of Southern flavor. :) (flame war!) :lol:
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:41 am

Steve , what a great site! Thanks for all the work you put into promoting our home town. Just FYI, did you know that the Mall on Shelbyville Road, was the first fully enclosed mall in the nation?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:46 am

carla griffin wrote:Just FYI, did you know that the Mall on Shelbyville Road, was the first fully enclosed mall in the nation?

Where did you hear that? I know that the mall in Cherry Hill, NJ was the first mall in the US, but wasn't it fully enclosed too?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:24 am

The first enclosed mall called Southdale opened in Edina, Minnesota (near Minneapolis) in 1956.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:37 am

I had read that info on a pictorial display within the mall when the mall was undergoing a big renovation back in the 80's Having just surfed the web I can't find anything to substantiate the claim. It would appear to be an urban legend that has been circulating for a long time. :?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:38 am

Ron Johnson wrote:The first enclosed mall called Southdale opened in Edina, Minnesota (near Minneapolis) in 1956.

I think of the St. Matthews Mall, which was long called just "The Mall," as coming along in the early '60s, but memory may fail me. I know I wasn't old enough to drive to it. ;) It was a big local deal and was certain among the nation's first wave of enclosed malls, but I don't recall anyone at the time hailing it as first of its kind.

The Mid-City Mall was also an early arrival, but was never the same after being destroyed in a highly suspicious fire a year or two after it opened. It's never been the same, earning the nickname "<I>Skid</I> City Mall" early on.
Next