Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

How often do you cross the river to dine or drink?

KY to IN: Often
9%
KY to IN: Sometimes
16%
KY to IN: Rarely
34%
KY to IN: Never
22%
IN to KY: Often
5%
IN to KY: Sometimes
9%
IN to KY: Rarely
3%
IN to KY: Never
2%
Other (post a comment to explain)
No votes

Total votes : 64
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

How often do you cross the river to dine or drink?

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:12 pm

We haven't had a fun poll for a while, so let's see if I can set this up in a way that works. We'll try to get a sense of how often Kentucky residents (or the foodies who hang out here, anyway) are willing to cross the Ohio to dine or drink in Indiana, and how the numbers work for Hoosiers coming the other way.K
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: How often do you cross the river to dine or drink?

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Live in Louisville, work in Jeff; therfore, I eat quite a bit in So. Indiana. Plus take the family over if I find a great spot.
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:41 pm

I don't know why but we never cross to IN. for dining. It feels like IN. is thousands of miles away!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:42 pm

We rarely ventured to Southern Indiana for a meal. If we do it's because we're heading that way for something else so we try a restaurant over there. The only restaurant we have ever made a dedicated trip for is Rocky's since the one on Westport just isn't as good and the view from the one Indiana is great. Other than that there really aren't any restaurants in Southern Indiana that interest us since we have so many interesting ones on the side of the river.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Mark Head wrote:Live in Louisville, work in Jeff; therfore, I eat quite a bit in So. Indiana. Plus take the family over if I find a great spot.

Joining in a response to my own post, I've never been "afraid" of Southern Indiana the way some Kentuckians seem to be, but I started going over more often when I finally figured out that it's as close or a closer shot across I-64 to Jeff or New Albany from Crescent Hill than it is out to Middletown or Springhurst.

The presence of places like La Rosita and Mai's Thai and NABC (oh, yeah, and must not forget Charlestown Pizza Co!) and the too-short-lived Bistro New Albany and Stratto's make it even more easy to pick the Hoosier option these days. Preferred Meats in Sellersburg, too, is 15 to 20 minutes from Frankfort Avenue and pays for this gas in great meats.

Just don't hit the bridges during commuter hours ... :P
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add a couple of afterthoughts
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:15 pm

If the East End bridge ever gets built...maybe more...
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:35 pm

there was a restaurant that we loved in Louisville and though it was like a major trip for us, we are a big family, three kids and a live-in "gramma", we would go to often.....it was called Chubasco's......it was on Linn Station Rd......it was mexican food......and soooooo very good.....we got to know the owner and liked him alot but.....sadly the restaurant didnt make it.....
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:46 pm

robert szappanos wrote:If the East End bridge ever gets built...maybe more...

I agree. It should've been built 30 years ago, but that is another thread. So much has either moved out this way or been built here that I really don't have a need to cross the river to IN. Nothing personal folks.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:03 pm

Good poll idea. It's rare for me to even think of southern Indiana, which is terrible. Guess my excuse will be the drive from Shelby County is just a bit too far for a quick bite (bad excuse, though).
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Well, we did build the bridges in the first place so Hoosiers could swim over to us in the shade :wink:

We frequent Mai's Thai very often as we do business in Jeff every two to three weeks. Very impressed by La Rosita in New Albany. They need to get the east end bridge built so we can hit Charlestown Pizza. From where I sit right now it might be 7 miles away as the crow flies straight across the river, but at least an hours drive by road.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Since we live in Old Lou, southern Indiana, or northern Louisville as I like to call it, is very close for shopping and dining. Please don't tell the mayor.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Actually had the Bristol in Clarksville for lunch Friday. Take-out to the office was great. As amazing as it may seem, the addition of the Bristol is a major thing for me as I'm sick of Buckheads, Rocky's (was better as a pizza joint out by Jeff Boat), and Come Back Inn. The loss of Strattos was big. Mai's Thai is really good as has been mentioned. For lunch there is a really nice sandwich place in front of Colgate called Lunch Today; really good soups, sandwiches, and salads. The Mexican options are good as are pizza....it goes way downhill after that I'm afraid.

The nice thing about working in Jeff is that the bridge works both ways....we occasionally lunch downtown...ahhh.
User

Lori Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 pm

by Lori Cundiff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:19 pm

I live in Germantown, so So. Indiana is far closer to home than a lot of the east end Louisville eateries. We trek over the bridge regularly for NABC (twice this week!), La Rosita, Charlestown Pizza Company, and more. Even though the original Come Back Inn is closer to home, we've really enjoyed meals at the Jeff. location as well. We've enjoyed a couple great meals (including a nice brunch buffet) at Perkfections in Jeff., too! I'll admit that I still feel a wee bit lost in most of Southern Indiana, but it seems that I always find my way to good food.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:29 am

I LOVE the food at Come Back Inn. I think I'm due a trip in there this week.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:55 pm

I live in Fern Creek and Indiana is just to far to go for a meal. There are many good places a lot closer. However Fern Creek is pretty much a culinary wasteland.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
Next