Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Favorite Beer Style

no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Favorite Beer Style

by Scott_Shreffler » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:48 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:Mojo IPA

Mojo IPA has to be one of the most underrated IPAs in the market. It is everything I look for in an American IPA. Well-balanced, crisp, refreshing, with a nice citrusy, hoppy kick to the head. Fairly sessionable too, in spite of the almost 7% abv. Plus, it helps that I have a long running love affair with Amarillo hops (don't tell the Mojo, but I am seeing Three Floyd's Gumballhead on the side :wink: )
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:52 pm

John Hagan wrote:I tend to go thru different phases where I enjoy different styles for different times of year. I find myself stopping off at the BBC tap room for a Bourbon barrel Stout lately.

I'm this way too. For awhile it was any Belgian Dark Ale I could get my hands on. Then I had Hopslam the first time this year and I was all over that for awhile. Lately it been Belgian Tripels that I can't get enough of. About the only style I'm iffy on are Porters - but when I do get the craving Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald hits the spot.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Scott_Shreffler wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:Mojo IPA

Mojo IPA has to be one of the most underrated IPAs in the market. It is everything I look for in an American IPA. Well-balanced, crisp, refreshing, with a nice citrusy, hoppy kick to the head. Fairly sessionable too, in spite of the almost 7% abv. Plus, it helps that I have a long running love affair with Amarillo hops (don't tell the Mojo, but I am seeing Three Floyd's Gumballhead on the side :wink: )

I agree totally. Jim Huie at Maido turned me on to the Mojo as he knows my preference for larger IPA's that are not sweet. I brew BBC's Dank IPA (and the LB Sheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPA) with a blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, heavy on the Amarillo. 3+lbs. per barrel.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:14 am

In my year-ending LEO column, I wrote about my top five flavor components:

Black (oily, roasted, bitter-chocolate-tinged Imperial Stouts); Sour (infected with noble intent, tart, renewing of palate); Archaic (funk, spontaneously fermented Belgian lambics are history in bottles); Smoked (carnivorous smoked amber lager screams out for pork dishes, Bavarian-style); and Bitter (“extreme” craft beers notwithstanding, you simply can’t cram enough hops into an American double IPA).

Upon further reflection, I'm sticking with these.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:59 am

1) stouts
2) porters
3) schwarzbiers

dark stuff is awesome.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Wow. I am a lager guy lost in a sea of ale drinkers. I love a good pilsner (not that mass-market swill that is yellow and pretends to be beer because it is foamy). Don't get me wrong, a good dark beer is marvelous, but for just sitting back with a cold one after a hard day in the kitchen, a crisp clean lager is just the thing! And you can't beat a good bock with a meal!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:15 pm

RonnieD wrote:Wow. I am a lager guy lost in a sea of ale drinkers. I love a good pilsner (not that mass-market swill that is yellow and pretends to be beer because it is foamy). Don't get me wrong, a good dark beer is marvelous, but for just sitting back with a cold one after a hard day in the kitchen, a crisp clean lager is just the thing! And you can't beat a good bock with a meal!

You're not entirely alone, Ronnie! I mentioned this (with similar caveats) on my list, and I think a couple of others are buried in there, too. ;)
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:11 pm

I really can't say I have a favorite style. I guess we can go with how I have felt the last 10 years. The more hops the better. I really like Hoptimus from NABC, I am waiting for the intravenous version of that one. The beer in my fridge is usually some sort of growler of NABC or BBC's more hoppy styles. More than likely you will find their APA. hops
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Matt B wrote:
What are your favorite styles?

Cold .. real cold .. ice cold
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Locally, I love the Sheltowee Hops-a-lot, the Browning's She-Devil, and NABC's Hoptimus. My favorite non-hoppy beer is Cumberland's Nitro Porter.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Matt B wrote:What are your favorite styles?

PILATE (in "Jesus Christ Superstar"):

What do you mean by that?
That is not an answer.

But seriously ... if you're drinking mass market lager as an alcoholic delivery system in a can, cold is fine. Either there is no flavor to compromise, or any discernable flavor there needs to be masked (the Milwaukee's Best gambit), and what better way than numbing the taste buds with icy temps?

I'm planning on drinking cool Victory Hop Devil IPA a bit later. Cold from the tap, then a few miles in the bicycle pannier should do nicely.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:48 pm

David R. Pierce wrote: I brew BBC's Dank IPA (and the LB Sheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPA) with a blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, heavy on the Amarillo. 3+lbs. per barrel.

Dave, I don't think I have ever had the Dank IPA. Is it available at the Tap Room now? If so, I might have to swing by for a pint. Especially considering Simcoe is my other hop of choice. To that end, Weyerbacher does a Double Simcoe IPA that is out of this world!!!
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:
Matt B wrote:What are your favorite styles?

PILATE (in "Jesus Christ Superstar"):

What do you mean by that?
That is not an answer.

But seriously ... if you're drinking mass market lager as an alcoholic delivery system in a can, cold is fine. Either there is no flavor to compromise, or any discernable flavor there needs to be masked (the Milwaukee's Best gambit), and what better way than numbing the taste buds with icy temps?

I'm planning on drinking cool Victory Hop Devil IPA a bit later. Cold from the tap, then a few miles in the bicycle pannier should do nicely.

Just injecting a little humor. Most of us do not think of beer as a religious experience. It's something you have after cutting the grass or hanging around with friends.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:33 pm

Scott_Shreffler wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote: I brew BBC's Dank IPA (and the LB Sheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPA) with a blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, heavy on the Amarillo. 3+lbs. per barrel.

Dave, I don't think I have ever had the Dank IPA. Is it available at the Tap Room now? If so, I might have to swing by for a pint. Especially considering Simcoe is my other hop of choice. To that end, Weyerbacher does a Double Simcoe IPA that is out of this world!!!

It is on tap now. Also available at LB as Sheltowee Hop-A-Lot IPA. Stop in for a pint.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:34 pm

robert szappanos wrote:But then again...Beer is a religion all by it self to some....

Holy stopped clocks, Batman -- Robert's (gulp) right!
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
PreviousNext