Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Body Art and Service

no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: Leah's Muffin Tops

by Jackie R. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:45 pm

RichardM wrote: Please take the tackle box face to the lake and don't bring it out to the table when you are waiting on customers.

Okay, so they should just leave their face face in a box, cause that doesn't give me a real pretty image, either.

RichardM wrote: As a side question can anyone with those ear lobe expanders tell us just how big you can make that hole, and once you get it as big as the 2" ones I saw at Charbucks the other night what on earth do you do with them, or is it just visual thing to make potential dates swoon?

Obviously you are not the audience of their designs, but does that make them bad people? I only remark because I've known plenty of these folk with odd style, and they were great individuals.

My greatest irritant when I dine out is a service that drags feet, cause that indicates laziness, which translates to unsanitation. Huge battles have been staged over eons for free expression, and there is something redeeming about the courage to permanently alter your appearance in a way that harms noone in order to acheive that goal. Just because you don't think it's pretty does not mean that it is not. Lots of neat people out there look weird.

And I'll go on to say that there are alot of apers that don't have the depth of individuality to back up their adornments, but that goes the same for all trends.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: Body Art and Service

by Jackie R. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Megan Watts wrote:Now wait a minute..I'm only 31. I don't think I'm part of the "mature" crowd, maybe just a bit more conservative. I have made the comment more than once that my husband and I are probably the only people our age that aren't tattooed.

Now wait a second Megan - not to be contentious, but after my previous post, it might be noted that I am also 31 and have 0 tatoos and the only piercing was a nose stud that refuses to close.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Jackie R. wrote:
Megan Watts wrote:Now wait a minute..I'm only 31. I don't think I'm part of the "mature" crowd, maybe just a bit more conservative. I have made the comment more than once that my husband and I are probably the only people our age that aren't tattooed.

Now wait a second Megan - not to be contentious, but after my previous post, it might be noted that I am also 31 and have 0 tatoos and the only piercing was a nose stud that refuses to close.

I'm sorry..my quote was in reference to Brand McGowan saying that the "mature" crowd being more conservative.
no avatar
User

Alan Schaefer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 pm

by Alan Schaefer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:01 pm

I have a couple of tats, and thinking of a couple of more. All of mine are located so they are easily covered.( on the bicep, and ankle). I am considering getting one on my forearm, but closer to the elbow joint. It is taking longer to decide because this could affect my ability to get jobs. I know a guy that wasn't hired on a couple of different jobs because he had a tat on his neck that was pretty large. I usually wear a long sleeve chef coat, which would cover it quite easily, but I have to consider the consequences. I don't like tats or excessive jewelry on my servers when I am dining out, especially if it is fine dining. I am really old school on this point, but I think it does take away from the experience in a fine dining place. Hence my angst on this location of the new too.
"The more one learns the more one sees the need to learn more and that study,as well as broadening the mind of the craftsman, provides an easy way of perfecting himself in the practice of our art." Auguste Escoffier
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:20 am

So, just wondering, where do you/we (collectively) draw the line?
How do you feel about overweight people waiting tables? Or people with prosthetic limbs? Or redheads?What if your server had a glass eye? Or people that just aren't as attractive as others? Or the elderly?
This is the proverbial sticky wicket.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:51 am

carla griffin wrote:So, just wondering, where do you/we (collectively) draw the line?

Customers draw lines everyday in dining out. Starting with a restaurants location, style, menu, perception of value for money, on into this specific topic. Oddly enough even your mention of having a red headed server is very valid in England where bias against red hair (they call us Gingers) still stems from animosity against the Scots. While I might not care for extensive body art to be displayed on my server, it certainly wouldn't make me ask for a different server or cause me to be parsimonious with the gratuity. Quality of service is still key.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:01 am

OK.... how would you feel about people who use the word " parsimonious" in conversation? :wink:
(THAT one sent me to the google board.I love it, it's my word of the day!)
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 am

I am all for self expression. However, I am reminded of the defination of a Democracy that a very dear prof. in College taught me many a moon ago: Majority rule, tempored by minority rights.

We do live in America. Land of the Free, home of the Brave.

However, you may rule over your body and what "artwork" adorns it, however, I have the right to object if I feel necessary.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Previous