Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best BBQ....ribs?

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Best BBQ....ribs?

by Becky M » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:15 pm

i know there was a thread about this before but couldnt see it........

my husbands bday is coming up and we are wanting to take him out for some bbq........really really good bbq......his preference is ribs......i think on that same thread i read something about franks....but from what i gathered that is a meat market and you have to get the food to go......we were kind of wanting a sit down place for him.........

suggestions anyone.......
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Best BBQ....ribs?

by Matt B » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:34 pm

I just recently had Jimbo's across from Iroquios Park. While it is not mentioned on this site too often I love the place. They offer babybacks or spares and they were cooked perfect. They weren't overdone or undercooked and the meat needed just a little tug before coming off cleanly. They offer two types of BBQ sauce - I like mine hot and theirs was really tasty.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:37 pm

I vote for Jucy,s or Big R in La Grange....
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:39 pm

robert szappanos wrote:I vote for Jucy,s or Big R in La Grange....

I forgot about Big R's...another good one that flys under the radar.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:54 pm

thanks guys.....really appreciate it......i mentioned these places to my husband......and he is stuck on franks......

i am going to have to get him to go somewhere else........
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Becky M wrote:thanks guys.....really appreciate it......i mentioned these places to my husband......and he is stuck on franks......

i am going to have to get him to go somewhere else........

Are you talking about Franks on Preston? I am not sure they do ribs every day. Might want to call up there first
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:59 pm

yes that is the place......if so i will have to call ahead.......
no avatar
User

Paul Nicheols

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 24, 2008 1:07 am

FABD Smokehouse

by Paul Nicheols » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Becky, if you haven't tried the BBQ I smoke at Frankfort Ave. Beer Dept., it is delicious. I pull the ribs off the smoker at 5:00 every night. They fall completely of the bone. We have the freshest BBQ in the city. Everyday I smoke a case each of butts (pork), whole chickens, and baby back ribs. Business is always steady with in store and catering so we never have any product leftover for more than one and a half days (3 shifts) Introduce yourself and I will give you half off a 1/2 rack dinner with the purchase of a 1/2 rack dinner. That goes for anyone on this site, mention you are a member and I will give you the same deal. You will not be disappointed. Thank you.

Paul Nicheols
Frankfort Ave. Beer Depot and Smokehouse
3204 Frankfort Ave. (502) 895-3223
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Scotty's BBQ just east of Middletown. Hands down the best bbq IMO
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:29 pm

When I travel down to Thixton, then let's go to Bootleg BBQ.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Paul Nicheols

{ RANK }

Foodie

FABD Smokehouse

by Paul Nicheols » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:59 pm

I grew up in Eastwood, right down US 60 from Scottys. They do have some really good BBQ. I apologize for tooting my own horn, but I have been doing BBQ for a long time back to my Pepperwood days 10 years ago and I take a lot of pride in the food I cook. Robin did a review a couple months back and he seemed to like everything from the ribs down to the potato salad. Louisville has and always will have a very good variety of BBQ throughout the city, and I think it deserves more credit on a national scale.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 pm

Paul Nicheols wrote:Becky, if you haven't tried the BBQ I smoke at Frankfort Ave. Beer Dept., it is delicious. I pull the ribs off the smoker at 5:00 every night. They fall completely of the bone. We have the freshest BBQ in the city. Everyday I smoke a case each of butts (pork), whole chickens, and baby back ribs. Business is always steady with in store and catering so we never have any product leftover for more than one and a half days (3 shifts) Introduce yourself and I will give you half off a 1/2 rack dinner with the purchase of a 1/2 rack dinner. That goes for anyone on this site, mention you are a member and I will give you the same deal. You will not be disappointed. Thank you.

Paul Nicheols
Frankfort Ave. Beer Depot and Smokehouse
3204 Frankfort Ave. (502) 895-3223

well...i have been looking up all the places that everyone had mentioned and F.A.B.D. was one of the ones that i looked up here on hotbytes....i must admit....offering a deal is the best way to get new customers.....

serious question though.....on the review that i read here it jokes about second-hand smoke and a bar area.......the only reason i bring this up is because i am pregnant and wouldnt want to be around a heavily smoking area........ i was wondering if this was still the case and if so is there still an area to eat outside......

please..please...please....do not take offense to my question......i have no qualms about good food being served in the same area where people smoke.......i was a hardcore smoker for 15 years and come from a family of smokers and have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against someone who smokes.....i personally have quit.....jeez......im so nervous about my question.....things get out of hand so easily if someone says the wrong thing and i sooooooo do not want to start controversy..........
no avatar
User

Paul Nicheols

{ RANK }

Foodie

FABD Smokehouse

by Paul Nicheols » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Becky, there is absolutely no smoking allowed inside the bar. The review Robin did was before the smoking ban was issued. We also have a separate indoor dining area in the back, away from the regulars at the bar. Outside there are many tables, we are usually busier when it is nice outside. Despite its appearance, it is very spacious, there is a nine hole putt putt course in the back. Stop on by, look forward to your business.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:41 pm

great! ....the no smoking sealed it for me.......and trust me.....i come from south texas and lived in mexico as well.....and i know that some of the best places are the small little places that some people would say...."what?!"......

another question......can children go as well.....or would you suggest we get something to go for them?........

also what are your hours?.....
no avatar
User

Paul Nicheols

{ RANK }

Foodie

FABD Smokehouse

by Paul Nicheols » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Becky, kids are more than welcome. The best time for them to come up would be before 8pm. We have Chicken Tenders, Corn Dogs, and Hamburgers. I order the burgers from Irish Hill and they are really good. It amazes me how many customers come in and order a burger at a BBQ place. Kids love the putt putt. My advice would be to come by and get a feel for the atmosphere and decide whether to eat in or get it to go. Hours for food are Monday through Sunday 11am until 10pm. Thanks again.
Next