Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bleach

no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Bleach

by Eliza W » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:36 pm

One of my favorite local spots has one big drawback. When we open the door, we're always greeted by a nasty bleach smell. The last time we were there, there were signs on the table stating that the restaurant was going "green," but the bleach smell was still there.

Even though it's common, bleach is toxic, and there are several good substitutes that clean well and kill microprganisms. Also, it smells just plain gross.

Is there some health code reason a supposedly green restaurant would greet its customers with a noxiousmell? This isn't the only restaurant I've smelled the bleach at, but of's one of the worst.
no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Re: Bleach

by Leslie Stewart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:03 pm

I have a chlorine sensitivity, too - I've been to restaurants that used bleach in water to sanitize their utensils, and I couldn't eat from them. I remember carrying packages of plastic ones in my handbag in case any of my friends insisted on going to places that used bleach like that (Sugar Doe Cafe comes to mind).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:38 pm

I doubt it's a health code violation since bleach is, after all, a sanitizer, but it sounds very unpleasant to me. :P

I have not encountered it here, but when I used to live in Astoria, the Greek section of Queens, NYC, I thought the fish markets would be wonderful but they turned out to be awful because the merchants would wash "less than fresh" fish with a bleach solution to keep the smell down. I couldn't even stand to be in those places ... we ended up trucking home expensive fish from Manhattan on the subway.
no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Leslie Stewart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:46 pm

If you'll remember, there was a big food scare when the Food Lion grocery chain was found guilty of bleaching their POULTRY because it was old! The more I learn about food service sanitation, the scarier this stuff gets . . . :shock:
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Bleach is so tricky. We use it for nasty carpet stains and when we do I have to air out the dining room for like 2 days before I can be rid of the stench. If someone can recommend more pleasant alternatives, I'd love to hear them!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:57 pm

Sorry if I was unclear, but I was wondering if bleach was required, not if it was prohibited.

As for carpets, the diluted peroxide in "green" carpet cleaners works really well. Seventh Generations gets the dirt my little ones grind into rugs out, and of smells great.
no avatar
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Leslie Stewart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 pm

Bleach is not required - just an acceptable solution for sanitation.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I have to wonder the location of which you speak. I'm not asking to name names, but if it resides on B-town Road, there is a venomous stench that permeates through every floor drain of almost every building along the "row" section. It's related to the sewer mains and defiant of combative efforts without an expensive and inconvenient unheaval of the entire street lengthwise. The bleachy smell coupled with rotten sewage stinks, but what is the alternative? I think incense and disinfectant spays are just as gross. If the green product is really the deal, that's awesome, but I'd have to see it to believe. Maybe it is...
no avatar
User

Bill D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bill D » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Bleach is cheap and times are tough. As a former restaurant mgr. I was glad to get feedback from patrons. Ask for a comment card and make your "voice" heard.
Bill D
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:02 pm

The real problem is not the fact that they use bleach solutions, but the quantity of bleach in the water. It should be a ratio of 1 part bleach to 1 million parts water. If the solution feels slippery, or you can smell the bleach when you place your face 2- 3 feet away, it's too strong.

I guess the moral of the story is that 'a lil- dab- l- do- ya.'

I'd also take a stab in the dark and guess that they mop the floor with their bleach solution.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:32 pm

I know that place on Bardstown. I went in there while pregnant, and promptly walked out. Because of that sense memory, I haven't been back.

The place I was referring to has the bar on the right as you enter and the dining room on the left. The bleach smell comes from the bar.

I know times are hard, but greeting customers with a chemical smell doesn't seem like the best way to bring people in.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:00 pm

Eliza, is Seventh Generations available in retail outlets?

Thank you for the reply!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Stephen D wrote:The real problem is not the fact that they use bleach solutions, but the quantity of bleach in the water. It should be a ratio of 1 part bleach to 1 million parts water. If the solution feels slippery, or you can smell the bleach when you place your face 2- 3 feet away, it's too strong.

I guess the moral of the story is that 'a lil- dab- l- do- ya.'

I'd also take a stab in the dark and guess that they mop the floor with their bleach solution.

That's why ALL inspected facilities have and use chlorine test strips. Right?

(They may have them but I'll bet they don't use them!)
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Eliza W wrote:I know that place on Bardstown. I went in there while pregnant, and promptly walked out. Because of that sense memory, I haven't been back.

The place I was referring to has the bar on the right as you enter and the dining room on the left. The bleach smell comes from the bar.

I know times are hard, but greeting customers with a chemical smell doesn't seem like the best way to bring people in.

Ahhh...

I'll rescind my first guess!

More than likely, they are bleaching their water pipes. Pouring a capful or two of bleach down the drain a the end of a shift is an old restaurant cure for slow- draining pipes. Supposedly, it also helps ward off barflies by taking away their food source. I'm not sold on the idea it does, as it's never worked for me...
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

by Sherrie G » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:54 pm

RonnieD wrote:Eliza, is Seventh Generations available in retail outlets?

Thank you for the reply!

I've seen it at Whole Foods for certain. And I think I've seen in at Target and Kroger. But my eyes have been known to deceive me...
Next