Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Starbucks closing 600 more stores

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Starbucks closing 600 more stores

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:29 am

carla griffin wrote:BTW Robert, as far as I'm concerned I will never eat at a Cracker Barrel ever again based on their ill and sometimes illegal treatment of gay employees and minorities. Same goes for Wendy's. Not to be left out, I remember being refused service at Kaleins (spelling) back in the late 60s because my friend that I was dining with (a professor at U of L) had a full beard and was deemed a hippie.

1. That's the way I feel about Denny's . . . not sure how many suits they've had (and lost) due to treatment of minorities.

2. Question re Wendy's: was that a local franchisee, or national? There are many places (chains) where I won't go in one region, but will in others (for varying reasons, tho mainly for food quality, especially Famous Dave's, where some franchisees really understand bbq and others seem to have no idea what they're doing).

3. Back in the 60's/70's I had the opposite experience: I was in the military, and we were instructed never to wear uniforms in public as we'd be spat upon, and denied service in many restaurants. I even had trouble in some restaurants because my hair (at the time) was too short!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:32 am

Back in the 60's/70's I had the opposite experience: I was in the military, and we were instructed never to wear uniforms in public as we'd be spat upon, and denied service in many restaurants.

I remember those days very well..... :(
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

ppl taking joy in starbucks problems

by Brian Curl » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:41 am

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:51 am

Yup some people just love when others loss a job...
no avatar
User

Bret Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

by Bret Donaldson » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:58 pm

The first store closing in Louisville was announced to employees yesterday - Westport Road was in the first 50 closings announced. Remaining will be announced on July 15.
Bret Donaldson
Owner

Stellar Craft Catering &
Stellar Event Managament
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Is that the one in the Target Store?
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:22 pm

andrew mellman wrote:3. Back in the 60's/70's I had the opposite experience: I was in the military, and we were instructed never to wear uniforms in public as we'd be spat upon, and denied service in many restaurants. I even had trouble in some restaurants because my hair (at the time) was too short!
robert szappanos wrote:Back in the 60's/70's I had the opposite experience: I was in the military, and we were instructed never to wear uniforms in public as we'd be spat upon, and denied service in many restaurants.
I remember those days very well.....

That kind of knee jerk reaction to any single group is ugly and unwarranted. It behooves us to constantly re-examine our behavior and be a bit more understanding and tolerant of others.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:42 pm

carla griffin wrote:That kind of knee jerk reaction to any single group is ugly and unwarranted. It behooves us to constantly re-examine our behavior and be a bit more understanding and tolerant of others.

I would certainly agree, but anecdotally, while I don't doubt the word of the other two gentlemen, I was in the service (USAF) from 1966-70, never received any such advice, and never suffered any rudeness because of my uniform at all. I was stationed in Southern Idaho, which is very conservative country, but I also traveled frequently to San Fransisco and Los Angeles in uniform and never had any issues there.

Maybe things got worse when we got into the '70s, particularly after Nixon came in in 1972, but I sure didn't see it in the late '60s.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:30 pm

carla griffin wrote: Kaleins (spelling) back in the late 60s because my friend that I was dining with (a professor at U of L) had a full beard and was deemed a hippie.

You may want to reconsider now since Kaelins has new ownership. No connection to the ownership that was in the 60's
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Yup some people just love when others loss a job...

Robert, I absolutely support your right to a stance and free speech, and I sometimes do think Roger and Robin can be a bit hard on you. However, your last statement is just ignorant. Not one person on this forum has expressed glee that Starbuck's employees are losing there jobs. How have you missed that point? People may not like the giant monster that is Starbucks, but I very seriously doubt that they dislike the people that work there.

Get that through your head...no one is cheering the fact that people are losing jobs...they enjoy that a mega-chain has stumbled and fallen on it's face due to its own overly aggressive business plan!

DD
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:
robert szappanos wrote:Yup some people just love when others loss a job...

Robert, I absolutely support your right to a stance and free speech, and I sometimes do think Roger and Robin can be a bit hard on you. However, your last statement is just ignorant. Not one person on this forum has expressed glee that Starbuck's employees are losing there jobs. How have you missed that point? People may not like the giant monster that is Starbucks, but I very seriously doubt that they dislike the people that work there.

Get that through your head...no one is cheering the fact that people are losing jobs...they enjoy that a mega-chain has stumbled and fallen on it's face due to its own overly aggressive business plan!

DD

I guess it's not totally clear to me....some of the posts indicate that losing your job from an evil chain might be a blessing. Interesting that a thread about coffee shops turns into a thread regarding individual views on social justice. Personally I really want a good cup of coffee and I'll go to the nearest coffee shop that serves one....independent or Starbucks. I'm not driving an extra 3 miles for a $2 cup of Joe. There are bigots and jerks in chains and independents in my experience.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I would certainly agree, but anecdotally, while I don't doubt the word of the other two gentlemen, I was in the service (USAF) from 1966-70, never received any such advice, and never suffered any rudeness because of my uniform at all. I was stationed in Southern Idaho, which is very conservative country, but I also traveled frequently to San Fransisco and Los Angeles in uniform and never had any issues there.

Maybe things got worse when we got into the '70s, particularly after Nixon came in in 1972, but I sure didn't see it in the late '60s.

As you said, S. Idaho was very conservative. I know I was discharged from San Francisco, and had to wear a uniform for the week, and had no problems. Same with Virginia Beach/Norfolk, which were Navy cities.

In Cleveland, however, and especially throughout New England try going out in public when Hair was playing on Broadway, the movie had just been released, and the papers were full of MaiLai (sp?). Not fun; we were all advised NOT to wear uniforms in public, and had a LOT of problems. Certainly different from today, where the war is similarly unpopular, yet the military is actually appreciated!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 am

andrew mellman wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I would certainly agree, but anecdotally, while I don't doubt the word of the other two gentlemen, I was in the service (USAF) from 1966-70, never received any such advice, and never suffered any rudeness because of my uniform at all. I was stationed in Southern Idaho, which is very conservative country, but I also traveled frequently to San Fransisco and Los Angeles in uniform and never had any issues there.

As you said, S. Idaho was very conservative. I know I was discharged from San Francisco, and had to wear a uniform for the week, and had no problems. Same with Virginia Beach/Norfolk, which were Navy cities.

In Cleveland, however, and especially throughout New England try going out in public when Hair was playing on Broadway, the movie had just been released, and the papers were full of MaiLai (sp?). Not fun; we were all advised NOT to wear uniforms in public, and had a LOT of problems. Certainly different from today, where the war is similarly unpopular, yet the military is actually appreciated!

Upon returning to the US from Vietnam, my brother was actually attacked (unprovoked) in the San Francisco airport and probably sustained more physical damage than he did in the war!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 am

To Derrick Jones...Get it through your head...When a place closes...Local or Chain...People loose there jobs period....I cannot make it any clearer to you.....
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:53 pm

To Robert:
I cannot make it any clearer, you should have used "their" in that sentenced opposed to "there". I guess the chains pull in the lowest common demoninator of our population :lol:
PreviousNext