Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Starbucks closing 600 more stores

no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

Starbucks closing 600 more stores

by Matthew Landan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:49 pm

times are tough for the Seattle coffee giant.
read all about it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25482250/
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

Re: Starbucks closing 600 more stores

by Shawn Vest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:52 pm

times are hard for big coffee

hooray for the little guys
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:08 pm

This is some of the best news I've read all day. I am so sick of chains spreading like a virus and over-saturating.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:31 pm

MikeG wrote:This is some of the best news I've read all day. I am so sick of chains spreading like a virus and over-saturating.

Yeah...I feel great knowing so many moms & dads will lose their jobs working for the evil chain! :roll:
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:56 pm

i don't think that we're expressing glee over job losses

but the joy comes from watching a mega corp get spanked
the joy is even sweeter, because it comes from their greed for market control

we don't need starbucks on every corner (and in some cases directly across from each other)

generally speaking, i haven't seen a lot of parents working at starbucks lately (mainly high school and college kids making $10+ an hour to sling over priced lattes over the counter)

the closing of these stores also allows more opportunity for independently owned and operated business to open in former starbucks locations (whether they be coffee shops, restaurants, or retail stores)
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 pm

It's certainly a best-case scenario that all 600 closed Starbucks will magically become independently owned businesses.

When I lived out West, I had a co-worker who also worked for Starbucks part-time. She quit our store when they offered her a full-time job. Eventually, they rewarded her hard work by giving her a store to manage.

I don't see any good coming from her and others like her losing their jobs, unless Schadenfreude is suddenly a virtue.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:55 pm

The jobs were "artificial" logically speaking, a result of the bad management strategy of expanding too quickly and aggressively.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Let's see . . .

Starbuck's is the largest, but has bad management (or had it) and is "evil" . . .

Caribou Coffee is the second largest, and is owned by the First Islamic Investment Bank (now Arcapita) out of Bahrain and run by a Sharia group headed by a Saudi retired religious judge . . .

I guess I have to go local on this one!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:32 pm

Mark Head wrote:
MikeG wrote:This is some of the best news I've read all day. I am so sick of chains spreading like a virus and over-saturating.

Yeah...I feel great knowing so many moms & dads will lose their jobs working for the evil chain! :roll:

Good post Mark.

And now those of us who are still working get to support them right? It is just great when any American who works for a chain loses their job, isn't it? Some of you folks on this board are just insufferable. Unless someone did something to really merit losing their job, it is beyond me why anyone would take joy from that loss.

I support the local businesses as much as anyone on this board, but fail to understand why the hate towards chains. Real people, possibly including our friends and families, work for these places. Not everything can be local nor can everything be a chain. I see no problem with a healthy balance. At least Starbucks is based in America. How many companies have sold out to overseas entities. I think some people need to widen the narrow vision a bit.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Todd Pharris wrote:Eventually, they rewarded her hard work by giving her a store to manage.

i'm sorry, but i find this phrase to be representative of the corp mentality
work hard and the company will "give" you a store to manage

and then they'll exercise an extensive and aggressive "new store" program, where they'll expand too quickly and not have enough qualified persons to fill all the management positions and some kid with half of your experience will be placed in similar management position, running a newer store, and because he lacks the experience, he'll run that store into the ground, and thus the company begins to hemorrhage money from its many new stores and when they finally realize what is happening, they'll slam on the brakes and close 600 stores at the same time, and yes, the store you were so graciously given to manage, it closes too

not to mention that "management" positions in the service industry (especially the corp part of this industry) can be more work and less money

there are a couple of lawsuits out there against corp restaurants for placing managers on salary and essentially forcing them to work more than 50 hours per week, while not paying for overtime, or allowing them to earn tips (the end result being that some managers were actually earning less than minimum wage)
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 pm

again, let me state for the record and for those who don't read the complete post

i am not taking joy over the loss of jobs

i do take joy over a large corp tripping over its unusually large feet and falling on its face

the funny part is
that the pro-corp side of this argument doesn't see that the cause of these job losses is poor strategy from the corp

if starbucks had been more cautious in their plans for growth, perhaps they would not have had to close so many stores
(this is the company that boasted about opening X number of stores a day, right??)
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:02 pm

andrew mellman wrote:Let's see . . .

Starbuck's is the largest, but has bad management (or had it) and is "evil" . . .

Caribou Coffee is the second largest, and is owned by the First Islamic Investment Bank (now Arcapita) out of Bahrain and run by a Sharia group headed by a Saudi retired religious judge . . .

That's interesting... but there aren't any Caribou Coffee shops in Louisville are there?
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:again, let me state for the record and for those who don't read the complete post

i am not taking joy over the loss of jobs

i do take joy over a large corp tripping over its unusually large feet and falling on its face

the funny part is
that the pro-corp side of this argument doesn't see that the cause of these job losses is poor strategy from the corp

if starbucks had been more cautious in their plans for growth, perhaps they would not have had to close so many stores
(this is the company that boasted about opening X number of stores a day, right??)

First off I'm a small business owner...so I get the managment issue as well as anyone on this board. But "glee" over any corporation closing this number of stores is seriously misplaced IMO. So that fact that Ford, GE, Bank of America, take your pick are laying off thousands should approach orgasmic.....right?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:
andrew mellman wrote:Let's see . . .

That's interesting... but there aren't any Caribou Coffee shops in Louisville are there?

No, none in Louisville. I tend to run into them in Cleveland, where they are both free-standing and inside of a chain of grocery stores.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:52 pm

This is too go to be true!! Hating Corporations!! Ripped right off the list, coming in at #82 on "Stuff White People Like" I know its lame to even look at that site. But its often so true.
Next