Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Problems at Herman's Deli?

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Problems at Herman's Deli?

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:12 am

It was closed up tight as a drum at lunch time yesterday. Dark inside, no cars in the lot. Phone number rolls over to a fax tone, however, but is not disconnected.

I think it's too soon to declare it a goner, and it would be missed for its decent NYC-style deli fare (if not for its often addled service), but it certainly seems odd to find it dark, with no sign or notice in the windows, on a Tuesday at lunchtime.
no avatar
User

Andrew Adler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Louisville, KY USA

by Andrew Adler » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:48 am

Well, yesterday was the last day of Passover, which is itself (actually, the final two days) a major festival-day/holiday on the Jewish calendar. Perhaps they were closed in observance, though unlikely as they're not actually kosher as I recall.

On another closing note -- and this may deserve its own thread -- I see that Palapa appears to have shut down. Some construction going on inside, phone disconnected, doors locked. Too bad -- I thought they were among the better mainstream Mexican places in town.

best...aa.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:04 am

Andrew Adler wrote:Well, yesterday was the last day of Passover, which is itself (actually, the final two days) a major festival-day/holiday on the Jewish calendar. Perhaps they were closed in observance, though unlikely as they're not actually kosher as I recall.

Could be ... I wondered about Passover, but as opposed to a Yom Kippur closing, that didn't seem too likely. And yes, for what it's worth, Herman's menu offers the option of cheese on any sandwich. And doesn't purport to be kosher.

On another closing note -- and this may deserve its own thread -- I see that Palapa appears to have shut down. Some construction going on inside, phone disconnected, doors locked. Too bad -- I thought they were among the better mainstream Mexican places in town.

I concur in that judgment and am sorry to hear it if so ... doesn't sound good, though.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

passover

by Heather Y » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Passover????? Not a chance.... owner not aware of holiday.