Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Texas Roadhouse doing well

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

Re: Texas Roadhouse doing well

by robert szappanos » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 pm

Well Done David...as in steaks....... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:52 am

Hi everybody. Long time reader, very, very light poster.

It's an old American tradition to tweak the noses of the pompous. Robert is just doing his part to carry it forward. Seriously. Some folks on here are taking this stuff way, way to seriously. One of the reasons I stop by, is to see what antics Robert is up too.

And as for a thread ruining the forum? Might I suggest that folks don't read the threads that make them crazy or depressed. This forum has a lot more signal than noise. An occasional romp hurts no one. And a slightly calloused skin makes the Internet much more enjoyable.

My wife and I eat out 8-10 times a month. Oftentimes drag friends or family along. and our average check is north of $25 per person. We are good customers.

We only selectively eat at chain restaurants. But we will not feel guilty when we do. Many in this forum praise our local Mexican food mini chains. I find them wanting in many aspects, but there are a couple that know how to make a GOOD frozen margarita, which I dearly love. (I'm hoi poloi, so sue me; or ban me from the forum).

So, what's the difference between Texas Roadhouse, and these Mexican Mini chains? If Ernesto's starts opening locations in other cities and states will we have to hate them too? Do folks here hate Texas Roadhouse because they are more successful? Can someone enlighten me as to the rules here?

Now, from my perspective, if Robert is a troll, Roger is a much bigger troll. I love brewpubs. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! My wife doesn't like going, so it is a rare treat for me. Roger's place should be my Mecca. But there is an elephant in the room that gives pause: Roger's disgusting elitist attitude. This is usually expressed about certain kinds of beer the obviously stupid people who drink them.

Here's an evil genius that has somehow managed to create a synthesis between Marxist analysis and beer gastronomy. Enjoy a Bud Lite? Then you are a victim of false consciousness, obviously brainwashed by the evil capitalist corporate elite. Give me a boulder-sized break. If there is any one here that deserves mocking, it is indeed Mr. Roger Baylor.

So, if I managed to gather up a friend to go to the pub who likes Bud Lite. And only drinks Bud Lite. Has tried other beer, but still, only likes Bud Lite. And he is even smart a shows no signs of "False Beer Consciousness", why should I bring him to Roger's place knowing that he is fundamentally unwelcome? And worse, to be condescended to?

This is the hospitality industry. Right?

P.S. Kudos to Robin for the job he does here. Very under appreciated IMHO.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:15 am

We had lunch at NABC yesterday. The pizza was great as well as the brew. What we found interesting was that our server told us that most the guys that work there tend to drink MIller Highlife?? Yes, this was just one guy that told us that, but why...when you got all that good beer around you.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:32 am

Steve H wrote:Now, from my perspective, if Robert is a troll, Roger is a much bigger troll. I love brewpubs. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! My wife doesn't like going, so it is a rare treat for me. Roger's place should be my Mecca. But there is an elephant in the room that gives pause: Roger's disgusting elitist attitude. This is usually expressed about certain kinds of beer the obviously stupid people who drink them.

Here's an evil genius that has somehow managed to create a synthesis between Marxist analysis and beer gastronomy. Enjoy a Bud Lite? Then you are a victim of false consciousness, obviously brainwashed by the evil capitalist corporate elite. Give me a boulder-sized break. If there is any one here that deserves mocking, it is indeed Mr. Roger Baylor.

So, if I managed to gather up a friend to go to the pub who likes Bud Lite. And only drinks Bud Lite. Has tried other beer, but still, only likes Bud Lite. And he is even smart a shows no signs of "False Beer Consciousness", why should I bring him to Roger's place knowing that he is fundamentally unwelcome? And worse, to be condescended to?

Elitist? Absolutely. No apologies for telling it like it is, or for taking my life's work seriously.

Not stupid. Ignorant. There's a difference.

Not unwelcome ... entirely welcome to learn something about the way things are.

Other than those three misconceptions, I accept the criticism. When Robert learns to articulate in this fashion, I'll take him seriously, too.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 am

John Hagan wrote:We had lunch at NABC yesterday. The pizza was great as well as the brew. What we found interesting was that our server told us that most the guys that work there tend to drink MIller Highlife?? Yes, this was just one guy that told us that, but why...when you got all that good beer around you.

Point taken. It's like children rebelling against their parents for the sake of rebelling, and not because there's an actual point to it. But, even if they're heistant to admit it, they work hard and know enough about the beers to convery the needed information when asked.

Along these lines, it's always struck me as ironic that smoking bans are about workplace safety, and probably 90% of our emplyees smoke. Verily, conundrums make the rocking world go round. Hope you enjoyed the lunch!
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

by Broc Smith » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:56 am

I think part of this is a lesson in how people want to be talked to and dealt with as a potential customer.

I moved here as the bar manager for Fox and Hound. At first, I was going to remove the BBC tap because of the BBC Brewery down the street. It was going to be a simple business decision not to remind people that if they liked BBC, they could leave my establishment and drive 2 miles to get a wider variety. My Mo Moorman rep sent in Phil from BBC, who passionately explained what they were all about and introduced me to Hell for Certain. His honest passion towards the cause prompted me to keep it and start selling a ton of Hell for Certain. I can get behind another man's conviction when I'm treated as an equal.

If someone wants to preach at me or talk down to me, I'll just go to liquor barn or whole foods to get my Schneider Aventinus, Bell's Two-Hearted, Unibroue (most varieties), etc... It's probably safer to drink at home and watch a televangelist.

Roger-I hope you choose to refine your approach to endear more people to the cause. It is a worthy one.

Chef Clancy-It seems like you try to imitate Roger quite a bit. I'll leave it at that.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:43 pm

oh, ye of little faith

clancy acted like clancy long before he knew there was a roger (trust me we served time at the whole fools together)

and roger, well he's roger
and lucky for you guys, he's not an omnipresent force at the NABC, it is highly probable that upon visiting the NABC, you will never glimpse the Baylor Beast pillaging the masses and crushing mega brewers with a single word, or preaching the WORD to the uninterested masses,

most of those folks visiting the NABC are seeking to expand their beer horizons, not narrow them

and occasionally sheep need to be herded

a note on the robert vs. roger trollism

read the posts,
roger (at the very least) encourages and supports local foodies and local food establishments
robert on the other hand seems to be a spokesman for franchise/chains across the country

which is more suited to this forum???
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Elitist? Absolutely. No apologies for telling it like it is, or for taking my life's work seriously.

It is possible to be elite without being an elitist.

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Not stupid. Ignorant. There's a difference.

As I noted with one example, there are people that have tried many different beers, but still prefer Bud Lite. That removes ignorant from the list. Unfortunately, given your preferred Marxist/Beer Gastronomy taxonomy, the only classification remaining is stupid.

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Not unwelcome ... entirely welcome to learn something about the way things are.

They are only welcome if they can cheerfully tolerate being considered stupid for enjoying mass market beer.

You are free to promote and carry on your business anyway you wish, even though it limits my opportunity to ever visit your establishment. This is your choice, and it's obviously working out for you. Congratulations on the new operation. Seriously.

It amuses me that Robert is considered the troll and you're supposedly the considered and balanced poster. Hilarious!
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:roger (at the very least) encourages and supports local foodies and local food establishments
robert on the other hand seems to be a spokesman for franchise/chains across the country

Well, that's why I asked what the rules are.

I seen posts on here about Taco Bell, Taco Tico, N and Out Burger, Tumble Weed, Texas Road House, bd's Mongolian Grill and many other chains. Many times folks even post that they even like these places. Robert seems to be the only one that draws ire. Is it more about his style than his topics?

So, you tell me. Are chains a valid topic here or not? And what is considered a chain anyway? Can we talk about Ernesto's? Los Aztecas? What about Shiraz? They seem to be well on the way to chaindom. Can we talk about them? How many outlets do they have to have before they become a verboten topic? Are we only allowed to talk about Louisville based entities like, well, Texas Roadhouse and Taco Bell?

It just seems to me that Robert is the only one that's not allowed to mention that he likes chains (what ever they are?). Many other posters can create threads to appreciate Taco Tico (!?!?!) and Taco Bueno (!?!?!) can even get a review. But somehow, Robert isn't even supposed to start his own thread - which anyone is perfectly able to ignore should they so choose - about how Louisville based Texas Roadhouse is astutely navigating through these turbulent times.

So, you tell me. In this thread, Robert's thread, who is the troll?
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:41 pm

The irony is that the vast majority of independant restaurant owners would love to expand and franchise if the opportunity and pay-off was there...

I still don't understand what was wrong with the OP.

Calling names is in bad taste.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Ahhh....Def Leppard.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote: Verily, conundrums make the rocking world go round. Hope you enjoyed the lunch!

Last time you pulled out the Freddie Mercury you were talking about female lobster tails, I think. This alone warrants a return trip to your establishment.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:oh, ye of little faith

clancy acted like clancy long before he knew there was a roger (trust me we served time at the whole fools together)

and roger, well he's roger
and lucky for you guys, he's not an omnipresent force at the NABC, it is highly probable that upon visiting the NABC, you will never glimpse the Baylor Beast pillaging the masses and crushing mega brewers with a single word, or preaching the WORD to the uninterested masses,

most of those folks visiting the NABC are seeking to expand their beer horizons, not narrow them

and occasionally sheep need to be herded

a note on the robert vs. roger trollism

read the posts,
roger (at the very least) encourages and supports local foodies and local food establishments

Thank's Shawn!- Answer for Steve......Robert is indeed THE troll and always will be! (and if you chimed in more than 4 times you would know this to be the case..there is nothing harmless about his motives or intent..please refer to the definition of TROLL for clarity). Answer for Broc.....no, I am not a mouthpiece for Roger (though we do share the same world view, but he has a MUCH bigger brain and far more vision than I do, and I can only respect him for that). I, once again, will say that I was one of the strongest supporters of Robert on the myriad occations he was banned from this site (he adds a certain harsh reality and antithesis to the mix and I respect him for that as well though the motives are suspect). So, we should now have another dead and lengthy thread to ponder, courtesy of Robert....GOOD JOB!! (now everyone get back to work...)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 pm

David Clancy wrote:(now everyone get back to work...)

Good idea, let's do it. ;)
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 pm

I was waiting for you to comment...and that is the quote you used...expected.... :shock:
PreviousNext