Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Japanese restaurant

User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Japanese restaurant

by Heather Y » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:22 pm

It seems that the space that housed Sahara Cafe on Lexington Road will now be host to ASAHI Japanese restaurant.

Just an FYI.
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

Re: Japanese restaurant

by Tom Holstein » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Heather Y wrote:It seems that the space that housed Sahara Cafe on Lexington Road will now be host to ASAHI Japanese restaurant.

Just an FYI.

It's very nice to have so many sashimi choices in our area. It makes me sooo happy. :D :D
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm

The sign says they opened as of June 25. They are open for lunch and dinner. Don't remember exactly, but it seems that the lunch hours are 1130-230 M-F and 12-3 on Saturday. Dinner hours are 5-10 p.m. M-S and 4-10 on Sunday (as I said, don't quote me, but those hours are pretty close). It is good to have a sushi place open on Sunday, as many are not. The sign out front says, "voted Louisville's best sushi chef", but I have no idea who this would be. Hopefully, someone will check it out soon and give us a report.
no avatar
User

Jake Wildstrom

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 10, 2008 7:02 pm

Schnitzelburg (40217)

by Jake Wildstrom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:46 pm

Apropos of this subject, what are the best noodle-houses in town? Sushi's alright, but I'm jonesing for udon and okonomiyaki (not really a noodle-house thing, but close in being sort of street food) and yakisoba and the like.
A matematikus olyan gép, amely kávéból tételeket készít. [A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.]
-Alfréd Rényi
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm not completely sure of this, because I've never had them, but I am pretty sure you can get udon and other noodle dishes at Maido, Pink Door, and maybe Hiko-A-Mon.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:00 pm

I know that Tokyo serves udon, yakisoba, and fresh ramen noodles. All very good IMO.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 pm

We tried it tonight (carry out) My husband said the sushi bar looked good, but he ordered from the menu. We had the seafood combination (15.95) described as shrimp, jumbo scallops, lobster, mussels and vegetables. The shrimp were great, sauce was mediocre. Scallops good, small piece of lobster meat. Vegetables? Just a couple pieces of cabbage.The main part was mussels (10) Now, I have had mussels before where one might be a bit defective and be a little stringy..but these were truly horrible. They had maybe a thread in them and some gelatinous orange goo .EVERY one of mine and my husband's. IIwas really, really miffed and wanted to go up there and take the whole thing back. How can you not see that your product is like that? Evidently, they are not getting them from BlueFin, because i got some 2 days ago which were small, but good. Not one of them was edible.To the order they added a mound of rice and an orange which had been sectioned.

My daughter had teryaki chicken (11.95) which was pretty good and tender. However, she would not eat the mixed vegetables (broccoli, mushrooms and carrots) because they were "so salty". I tried them and they were inedible. I made my husband try them for a 3rd opinion and he could not believe how salty they were.

I hate to complain at a restaurant. In fact, I found a copper wire in my food the other day at a popular spot and did not report it (though I should) because the last thing I wanted was a free meal. Everything was tasty. This, however, was pretty unforgivable. The prices are not cheap and for non-sushi eaters, if they don't pay attention they will be in trouble, IMO. Still hungry...
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Jake Wildstrom wrote:Apropos of this subject, what are the best noodle-houses in town? Sushi's alright, but I'm jonesing for udon and okonomiyaki (not really a noodle-house thing, but close in being sort of street food) and yakisoba and the like.

LOL, if you find anyplace in town that serves okonomiyaki please let me know! Most of the Japanese places serve yakisoba, though I'm not really crazy about any of their renditions. And I'm not really crazy about Udon in general so I can't criticize those.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 am

I went to Asahi for dinner last night. I sat at the sushi bar and had only the sushi. The sushi chef was the same chef that used to be at Bendoya many years ago. Before that, I believe he was at the sushi restaurant that was on Dupont Circle by WW Cousins. He may have also been at Osaka but am not sure. In any case, I don't remember him winning any best sushi chef awards. The sushi itself was good. The fish was fresh and the pieces were good sized. Nothing eye-popping and the same you can find at Sakura Blue or Osaka or Oishii. As far as I am concerned, I would rather have Hiko a Mon. FYI, as of yesterday, they do not serve alcoholic beverages but I am told the situation will change in the near future.
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:15 pm

WE went last week and loved it! The Sushi Chef was very sweet and our waitress, Kay was wonderful! She told us that is All In the Family who works there-her father is the Sushi Chef and Mom works in the kitchen. WE very much enjoyed our dishes. This is a welcomed spot for us and love the fact that we can walk there and home...
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:29 pm

I was just about to come on and comment on what a wonderful experience I had with two friends last night, one of which is a chef from Pittsburgh and owned two restaurants there. We talked all night long on how wonderful the fish was, I mean, melt in your mouth delish! The Eel Lovers roll was outstanding. The meat was nice, thick and tender and the wasabi roe was the perfect topper. We also ordered the 16 piece sashimi for 20.95, very fresh, and since eel was my favorite, but not normally included with sashimi (since its cooked) he placed three bonus pieces of eel on the platter as a treat.

I would recommend this place to anyone and it will be my new regular sushi joint - course it doesn't hurt that it's int he neighborhood as well. :)
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com